How much does your OH interact with your bump?

fairyprincess

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

DH and I were talking about this last night as we're in this between stage where the novelty of a bump has worn off but we can't feel her kicks from the outside yet. He'll stroke my bump and occasionally talk to her but he said he'll prob do it more when he gets something back ie kicks if that makes sense.

How about you guys? X

I think it's hard for our partners. My husband found it really difficult to interact with my bump in my first pregnancy and he's the same with this one. He'll get a but excited if he can feel a kick on the outside but for the most part I think he forgets there's actually a baby in there!! It's different for us, we feel everything from the day we find out and we never really switch off from it, for the other halves it only becomes real when the baby is born!

My partner started making more of an effort after ante natal classes started and they were going on about interaction with the baby in the womb lol
Trouble is, every time I feel it moving and tell him to feel, the baby seems to stop as soon as he puts his hand on. I'm hoping this means he has some magic hypnotic baby touch which will instantly calm it down!
He talks to it, but in a stupidly low voice, as he heard that they can hear bass in there better, so I think the baby probably thinks its dad actually sounds like that - he'll have to continue in that voice after the birth!
He used to tell me off for poking at it when it kicked, but now he's taken to doing drumming patterns on my belly with his fingertips to see if it responds 'with the same rhythm'. He's a nutter haha
He also helps by rubbing bio oil on, and sometimes feels the baby move about while he does that :)

My partner started making more of an effort after ante natal classes started and they were going on about interaction with the baby in the womb lol
Trouble is, every time I feel it moving and tell him to feel, the baby seems to stop as soon as he puts his hand on. I'm hoping this means he has some magic hypnotic baby touch which will instantly calm it down!
He talks to it, but in a stupidly low voice, as he heard that they can hear bass in there better, so I think the baby probably thinks its dad actually sounds like that - he'll have to continue in that voice after the birth!
He used to tell me off for poking at it when it kicked, but now he's taken to doing drumming patterns on my belly with his fingertips to see if it responds 'with the same rhythm'. He's a nutter haha
He also helps by rubbing bio oil on, and sometimes feels the baby move about while he does that :)

My OH is the same. Baby will be having a rave and as soon as OH outs his hands near, all goes quiet. He also moisturises my belly. It's nice for him to feel involved. I think he just feels a bit useless t the moment. He keeps asking what he can do. In reality, not a lot atbtbe moment.

I'm hoping when baby comes he might be inclined to do more!

My hubby was a bit the same, once he could see and feel movements he got a lot more involved. He'd lie and talk to bump and moisturise my belly. As I got a bit further on I'd be lying with minimal movements and as soon as R would come home from work and speak baby would go mental in there. He loved that! I felt like they had their own wee bond that I wasn't part of and I loved just watching him grin because the baby was reacting to him.

You're at a very inbetween stage just now as you said Jess but keep encouraging him to talk to your princess. Once he starts seeing the movements he'll love it xx

My OH was the opposite. Used to stroke & talk to my bump until you could feel quicker from the outside. He hand his hand on my tummy when she rolled from one side to the other, freaked him out so much he never did it again!! X

My OH wasn't interested for a long time. When I could feel movements from the outside, I encouraged him to feel for them and got lucky, he felt a powerful kick on the second attempt even though such clear movements were rare back then. He lacks patience though, and I could only get him to keep his hand on there for a minute or two before he decided baby was asleep and wouldn't move for him again. So he lost interest again.

Since baby has been more active, and there have been less disappointments for him when he's tried to feel something, he's been more interested. One night when he said he loved me, and then for the first time leant down and said "I love you too" to the bump I cried. Since then there have been several nights where he's actively sought to interact with the baby before we go to sleep. He takes great delight in poking my belly and getting a reaction. If he sees me with my hand on my belly in a certain way he knows I'm feeling for movements and will often approach and have a feel too.

I said to my DH the other night that he should start talking to him cos he'll be starting to hear his voice now and he just looked at me like I was mental :wall:

My husband, starts touching my tummy fairly early.
From now on mainly in bed at night.
He loves it when they start kicking and responding to touch later on in the pregnancy.

My OH thinks my bump is mostly food!! :eh:
His face lights up when I say I'm feeling flutters. Can't wait until I can share the kicks with him.

DH feels bump for movements even though we're not quite feeling proper ones inside yet, let alone outside! He talks to it, DsS does a litte bit too, last weekend they were both at it and I defo felt flutters lol

If it's awake it responds to DH's voice, I feel tiny movements. If it's sleeping then nothing lol

Lxx

my oh doesnt at all and im bloody thsnkful! i cant stand people touching my bump. if they try they get their hands slapped! he doesnt talk yo my bump and i dont want him to either,

Last edited:
My OH isn't very touchy feely in general so I never expected him to be all over the bump showering it with affection.
However he disn't like going near it at all....he felt too freaked out bu the movements, both looking at them and feeling them. Said it resembled the film Alien lol
So I fully expect him to be like that on this one too :)

You gotta admit... It is a little like an alien.

Where do you think i got the name for my sig lolol.

My OH cant wait until i have a bump hes already talking to tummy sometimes but it is just food atm!

Its interesting to see the variations! This is my OH's first baby. I can now feel baby kicking outside my bump and I try get him to feel all the time, and I put his hand where I can feel it and he says he can't feel it and loses interest very quickly which is a shame because I can definitely feel it!

He isn't too bothered about talking to bump either but that is just his nature I don't think he really knows what to do lol

Not too fussed really. He'll sometimes kiss me then bump, sometimes a quick "hello baby". I say he should talk to her, but he doesn't know what to say which is completely understandable!
He's a bit freaked out feeling her move and doesn't do it often. She was like an octopus last night and had feet sticking out and I put his hand on me, it makes him jump and usually greeted with an "urgh!" lol

Wait until baby kicks him in the face... Funny

Not too fussed really. He'll sometimes kiss me then bump, sometimes a quick "hello baby". I say he should talk to her, but he doesn't know what to say which is completely understandable!
He's a bit freaked out feeling her move and doesn't do it often. She was like an octopus last night and had feet sticking out and I put his hand on me, it makes him jump and usually greeted with an "urgh!" lol

That is how I react! hahaha it freaks me right out even second time round!

Wait until baby kicks him in the face... Funny

This is my favourite pregnancy game. Wait til IH is listening for heartbeat and see how many times baby kicks him in the face. He is usually equally offended and amused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back