How much do you worry about food hygiene?

Fermerswife

Reaction score
I am such a worrier in pregnancy and am constantly stressing over things like Listeria, Toxoplasmosis etc. For example, yesterday I got a salad from the local shop over lunch then spent all day worrying that the veg hadn't been properly washed, could have contained traces of soil, thus toxoplasmosis and so on.... I find eating out really stressful as I worry about undercooked meat etc etc, yet I work with a girl who will happily chow down on a goats cheese Panini etc.

How much do you worry about things like this? I really can't wait till pregnancy is over to relax and eat what I want including pate, soft cheese and runny eggs, mmmmm

I'm really relaxed. I eat runny eggs and all kinds, no point stressing over a be small likelihood of getting something. Eat at places with a good food hygiene rating and it will be just fine

Last edited:
I do stick the guidelines on the NHS website but I have ordered salads in a restaurant and have not been concerned. I did take a bite from an undercooked burger at a BBQ during my first pregnancy which stressed me out a bit so I told the midwife and they did a series of toxoplasmosis blood tests. All turned out fine.

I know pate is particularly important to avoid but yeah, I avoid air dried meats like uncooked salami etc and runny eggs. I also try to avoid eating at hot buffets. The day after I gave birth, my hubby brought bread and pate to the hospital for breakfast!

Yeah pate is a big no no because of the levels of vitamin A.

I avoid the ones specific to Listeria poisoning, as that can do a lot of harm to the baby - and I'm a total cheese fiend, it's difficult to turn down goats cheese! I understand if thoroughly melted though it's ok. As for eggs, I was led to believe that the ones with the lion stamp were from chickens vaccinated against salmonella...

I worried massively about everything I ate and drank (rang a bar one night to ask what kind of orange juice they had as I'd had some and read you should only have pasteurised, that led to agonising over whether flash pasteurised was ok or not!). Looking back I do think I worried too much and i can see the funny side of my paranoia but it's so hard when you're in it to control the anxiety. I spoke to my midwife about it and she was reassuring so that might help? Sorry I know this probably hasn't helped but know that you're not the only one to worry this much xxx

I avoid the ones specific to Listeria poisoning, as that can do a lot of harm to the baby - and I'm a total cheese fiend, it's difficult to turn down goats cheese! I understand if thoroughly melted though it's ok. As for eggs, I was led to believe that the ones with the lion stamp were from chickens vaccinated against salmonella...

That's right :)

My midwife Hayes the advice about eggs because she says they're a good thing to have in your diet and a lot of pregnant women stay away completely.

I say that runny is fine as long as they are cooked and not raw

I just keep away from some of the cheeses I. E blue cheese. I have cooked brie and cambember sorry about the spelling lol. I eat eggs and salad but if I'm home I wash all salad, if I'm out I don't really eat salad. I drink all juices fresh or not. I also make sure all my meat is really cooked. I love my steak med rare however since pregnant I have it well done. Don't restrict ur self too much as ur get fed up. Plus it changes all the time at one point you wasn't aloud prawns now you can if cooked and I eat those and nuts and what ever I Want really. X

I've been eating goats cheese and baked cheeses. I don't eat eggs or any meat/fish anyway.
I realised the bagged salads I've been buying aren't washed and I've been munching them (but will be washing from now on!). I suppose I'm careful, will only drink decaff and wouldn't purposely eat/drink crap or anything I know could potentially cause harm, but I'm not mega strict (I was at the start)

I avoided foods that might contain listeria (blue cheese, pate) but apart from that i was quite relaxed. I didn't eat farm eggs but bought lion stamped eggs from the shop. My main concern was toxo from our pregnant ewes at home, especially as baby was due at lambing time. Obviously I stayed away from the lambing shed but also made oh take off all his overalls and wash his hands before coming in the house

Try not too worry

I'm generally very relaxed... i was with my first pregnancy too thinking about it. No pate or blue cheese... but I have no issue with runny eggs, most other cheeses (especially cooked like goats cheese - yummy!) and in my first pregnancy nuts were officially a no-no, but I totally ignored that advice as my research told me they were WAY off on that one and low & behold the advice changed not long afterwards. I eat bagged salad galore & supermarket ready made salads & sandwiches etc... I've even had the odd glass of red wine in both pregnancies. I wouldn't take majorly unnecessary risks - but I'm not massively obsessed with hygiene normally (I have friends that most definitely are!!) so not much changes in pregnancy for me.

Last edited:
Apparently we're not supposed to have me whippy ice cream (or any ice cream from a
Machine) but Sod that!

I'm having a steak on Saturday night and I refuse to eat a steak that is anything more than medium, but I won't have medium rare until baby is here (hubby won't let me lol)

Apparently we're not supposed to have me whippy ice cream (or any ice cream from a
Machine) but Sod that!

I'm having a steak on Saturday night and I refuse to eat a steak that is anything more than medium, but I won't have medium rare until baby is here (hubby won't let me lol)

I love steak but has to be med rare aswell. Iv had steak a few times and hunky makes it well done which I hate so therefore refuse to buy one when eating out. I can't wait till she arrives and I can have a steak how I like it. Mmm damn I won't be able to stop thinking about it now haha

I like my steak practically blue lol - had venison steak for a birthday meal at the weekend and had it well done though, partner made sure and cooked it to death! ;-)

Runny eggs are fine now provided you use lion marked eggs - I read an article about it a couple of months ago. When I was pregnant second time round it ate everything except unpasteurised cheese and pate. Otherwise I didn't worry too much. Food in this country is generally very safe.

I don't worry at all, just follow the guidelines with regards to liver, cheese, pate etc xx
I'm happy to eat runny lion stamped eggs and I've had more than the odd mcflurry :blush:

Only things im avoiding from the foods lists r pate and the funky cheeses. I limit my tuna too.

I literally cant wait for a lump of Brie!!!!!!!

But im defo drinking way to much coffee, but when u have a toddler and suffer with insomnia its a must! You cant beat a nice runny poached egg either mmmm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back