How much do you tell a 3 year old about...

zooma

Reaction score
... Where a younger brother or sister comes from?

Hi! I haven't posted on here since my last pregnancy over 3 years ago. Our daughter has just turned 3 and we always make a point of giving her scientifically accurate answers to questions. (Within reason - of course she has had visits from Father Christmas and looks forward to receiving money from the tooth fairy when she's older) She is really quite clever and my OH (a paramedic) has taught her the medical names of most of her bones and body parts. She knows that she "once lived in my tummy" before she was born. She knows she was at hospital when she was born but she thinks it's because she had a sore head (we have never told her this but she was a forceps delivery so all her newborn pictures show her with red marks all over her head, and we just never corrected her on this. lol) So we have decided to start TTC baby no2 and we often ask her how she would feel about a little brother or sister. If/when I am pregnant, inevitably questions about how the baby got in there and how it will come out will arise. Without being too grafic but also trying to remain factual, how much do you tell a 3 year old? We are not at all religious by the way.

My dd (3.5yrs) was asking about where baby's come from recently. I kept it really simple and just said that they grew from a seed in mummys tummy. She thought about it for a bit then asked if mummys have girls and daddys have boys, so I just said that daddys gave mummys the seed to help grow babies. She seemed happy with this explaination and didn't ask anything else.

I think its best just to give a simple explaination then answer any questions as they arise as truthfully as you can, at an age appropriate level x

Yup - grew from a seed! I had a section with my 2nd baby so I was telling the truth when I said how he got out - and her!

Im with cherry on this one. We haven't discussed it with my three year old much yet but when I do will be telling him something similar. Plenty of time when they are older to elaborate x

My 2.5yr old never asked how her brother got in my tummy but she told me babies come out of the belly button but drs have to help which is why mummies go to hospital to have a baby :)
No idea who told her but she never questioned it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back