How much £$

JMC

Reaction score
I know this will varey but if you already have a pram, cott and car seat...

How much do you think is a good amount to have saved up in the bank to spend on the baby when its born

I mean obviously friends and family will be buying clothes etc... but they cant buy everythin, so how much do you think is required to get your self started !

You get a 500 pound maternity grant when the baby is born to spend on it. To buy pram, clothes etc. I got this and it really helped alot. I didnt really save any money, I didnt have any.

violet-glow said:
You get a 500 pound maternity grant when the baby is born to spend on it. To buy pram, clothes etc. I got this and it really helped alot. I didnt really save any money, I didnt have any.

Yeh im aware of that, thats great !!

Well her mum is going to put a tenner a week in the bank. so thats like £300 near enough

Her aunt is doing the same, so theirs £600

plus the £500 maternity grant, so theirs £1100

Then im going to try and raise £500, but if i get a job say £200 a week ill try put £100 a week away

Good God this baby will be a millionaire !!

Want to throw some of that money my way...
i need to feed my ebay addiction lol :D

violet-glow said:
Want to throw some of that money my way...
i need to feed my ebay addiction lol :D

Haha, ebay mad are you ! Haha

Im currently job less so im skint, but i need money for the baby. So ive been selling copied DVD collections on ebay, which is a little bit naughty but i dont care since its for the baby. I've raised £150 in a week which went straight into the babys bank :D

and i'll have another £100 next week :D

when i had my son the maernity grant was only £100 :shock: i look back now and wonder how i managed :lol:

There are loads of ways to save money on buying baby stuff though ;)

www.pampers.co.uk - will send you money off vouchers for nappies regularly and occasionally nappies too.
www.huggiesclub.com - as above with pampers
www.tesco.com/babyandtoddlerclub - will send out vouchers regularly for money off baby things along with magazines throughout the pregnancy up until the child is the age of 2 (i think?!)
www.boots.com/parentingclub - this is a new one that hasnt been about long but its excellent and well worth it ;) again regular magazines and vouchers up until the child is of a certain age, but this one also includes vouchers for a free huggies starter pack worth £25 (has changing bag, travel changing mat, pack at baby wipes, bottle of shampoo, and a few other bits as well as lots of vouchers) an avent starter pack worth £5, as well as vouchers for free beauty products if you register with them before you are 28 weeks pregnant
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/framestatic.as ... x?zone=Bru - this one is excellent if you have a toysrus near you when you join up they will send you vouchers which give you money off all the big things you need to buy cot etc, but all send out magazines regularly with vouchers too.
www.cowandgate.co.uk - regularly send out money off vouchers mainly for milk but have had vouchers for other things too.
www.smanutrition.co.uk - if you join up with sma they will send you through vouchers on a regualr basis for all different pregnancy and child related things, the sometimes offer a freebie when you join up though im not sure if there currently is one
www.mamuk.com - they did have a free teat offer and a free soother offer on their website as far as i am aware its only for the free teat now though
www.bounty.com - you can sign up to bounty online to claim your bounty packs if the midwife doesnt give you a card at the first booking in session, the first few packs are fab!
www.emmasdiary.co.uk - again you can sign up online to recieve your free mum to be gift pack if your midwife doesnt give you one at your booking in appointment last time i had one of these they werent that great but every little helps ;)

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/promotion ... dex.html#M get free first class train travel upgrades in certain areas (First Capital Connect and Southwest trains). Have a look at site from following link (offer is called MUMS2B First Class Upgrade).

http://www.nct.org.uk/local/events - check out the nct for their nearly new sales
- cots, prams, buggies, backpacks, baby bath, washable nappies, toys & clothes second hand

Always take advantage of BOGOF baby wipes. Tesco always have one brand or other on special offer, so stock up. NEVER buy them from Mothercare, they are dreadfully expensive.

If you have a Makro/Costco card, or know anyone who does, tag along with them and get the large packs of nappies. They'll last you ages, especially if when you're at home with baby you let them have a nappy breather on the changing mat once or twice a day (that'll save you at least 7-14 nappies per week).

Limit what clothes you buy in 0-3 months, they will grow it out in no time. Buy 3-6 for your 0-6 month old and 9-12 for your 6-12 month old. You'll ensure they get a decent wear out of the clothes.

Limit the toys you buy. Buy toys that encourage your childs development, but most babies are happy playing with anything they can grab hold of. Just make sure it's not hazardous. Plus the toys just clutter up their room, your room, the living room/bathroom/ (um everywhere)!!!

www.freecycle.org - join up to one in your local area people are always giving away old baby bits on there i got the most gorgeous moses basket off there a few weeks ago, and the best thing about it is its all free! you normally need to go and collect the items from the persons house but so far i have found most to either deliver the items or meet me in town and give me the items always worth asking if your interested and cant get to it ;)

erm im sure theres a load more but thats all i can think of at the mo ;)

as i mentioned in another post of urs there is ways round, if u say got a moses basket at first and carry saving for the cot that gives u an extra say 2 months to buy the cot, u can get travel systems instead of prams and then buying the car seat on top etc, u dont need like co-ordinated bedding u can get pink or blue sets in tesco i got mine in the sale really good! :D

I spent just over £500 on clothes b4 Bex was born, sizes 0-3 3-6 big waste of money, you need to remember u will get tonnes of gifts too. :shock:

She is now 4.5 months, a size 9-12 in clothes (she is a big girl) i find it expensive keeping up with her growth spurts, and she is a size 4 in nappies ( :oops: ) So like bubble dreamer said, buy bigger sized clothes, as they grow at a phenomenal rate :doh:

K X said:
I spent just over £500 on clothes b4 Bex was born, sizes 0-3 3-6 big waste of money, you need to remember u will get tonnes of gifts too. :shock:

She is now 4.5 months, a size 9-12 in clothes (she is a big girl) i find it expensive keeping up with her growth spurts, and she is a size 4 in nappies ( :oops: ) So like bubble dreamer said, buy bigger sized clothes, as they grow at a phenomenal rate :doh:

Well luckily her friend who is also going through teenage pregnancy is 5 months ahead of her

So when are baby is born we can have all her stuff. But shes having a boy so if its a girl...

But then again Im sure other people will be able to help out

OMG really? :oops: My lil Bex is a chubber!x

Becky was a big fat over due baby! :lol:

:lol: bless her! :lol:

how much did she weigh? beth was 2 weeks late and weighefd 7lb 7oz but she ended up losing a lot of weight in the beginning coz of the lactose intolerance and then only put weight on very gradually after she started keeping milk down.

Hiya id say buy wisely, we spent £550 on a pram and used it 4 times the other part was a buggy and it aint even been used, we ended up buying a mclarren buggy, some big prams dont fold down too well, when i do it again itl be a 3 in1 for us, and yeah defo buy big LOL my sons 4 months and wears 6-12month babygrows!!! hes too almost too big for them too. Asda has some great clothes and wiv the family helping out take as much help as you can, but dont count on the money until its in yer hand as we were promised the moon from my OHs side and ended up with almost nothing from them. It can be an expensive business baby but well worth it XkelX :D

Yeh well luckily we have got a pram from my sister... worth £400, its great and has saved us loads of momey !!

This £500 maternity grant..... is that for everyone or is it means tested? I have never heard of it.

Lyndsey

Lyndsey said:
This £500 maternity grant..... is that for everyone or is it means tested? I have never heard of it.

Lyndsey

Hiya Lyndsey.... here some info;

You are eligible for a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Pension Credit, Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award or Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element.

You can find out more on this website http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/sb16/ssmg/ssmg_1.asp

Hope that helps xx

That will be a no for me then!!! But thanx for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back