How many is too many?

hopefulmummy

Reaction score
Kids, that is. My hubby reckons having more than 2-3 kids is irresponsible because of the worlds resources, regardless of if you can financially support yourself... Just wondering what others think?

I can see your OH point to an extent if you think long term especially way jobs are at moment. Say you have 6 kids and only 3 can get a job then thats 3 living off benefits etc. Although this might not necessarily be the case in the future who knows. I always wanted 3 and im on my 3rd pregnancy and definately dont want anymore than this but i suppose its all parents choice on how many they decide to have xx

I think that if you can afford to bring up your children then I dont see any reason why you cant have as many as you want. I think i will only have 2 or 3 myself tho!!!
xxxx

You can have as many as you can afford. I have 4 and would like one more but I work bloody hard and pay for them all myself. If we were struggling for money or didn't have much left at the end of the month then I wouldn't have another. Plus, it also depends on room doesn't it. We have one seat left in the car and one room left in our house lol x

Sent from my knackered iPhone

I agree that it is every parents right to decide how many children they have, however, in my opinion having children you can't pay for yourself is just irresponsible. I understand peoples circumstances can change as life goes on, but its those that are on benefits and continue to have children with no intention of working that I'm referring to.

I figure the more kids I have, the more likely it is that I have a kid who's rich and successful and can give me a granny annex in their house and money to live off in me old age.
Only kidding :lol:

What I got from the OP was that he was on about resources less than money. I do get where he's coming from. If theres 2 of you, and you bring 2 children into the world, you're not adding to the population because when you pass away it just evens out kind of thing. Therefore there wont be a need for extra housing and so no need for using extra fuel blah blah. Which I totally get. BUT! Generations before us never had that worry and just because they had loads of children it shouldnt mean that we can't. Some people thrive in large families and so I think it's each to their own. Others choose to nothave children now as well which used to be less common so I think it all evens itself out really.

Yeah I do kind of agree with him. Food, gas, oil, these things are running out and environmentally as well it isn't great to have more people on the planet. Rising populations are a massive global worry and we owe it to ourselves and future generations to be responsible. But I know having children is such a pull to many, me included. I would love a big family if money was no object. I do kind of think child benefit should be stopped after a certain number of children (what this is, I don't know. 2? 3?) Some people say it's selfish to have loads of children... And I agree with the poster above who said it's really bad to have lots and live off benefits...

I don't think it's about the number of children you have I think it's about looking after our planet, we have already ruined so much of it and are pushing it to it's limits. We have really done a massive dis- service to our beautiful planet x

Sent from my knackered iPhone

I think as long as you can support your own family without hand outs have as many kids as you want. Would any broody woman who wanted a baby but already had 2 or 3 kids honestly think wait a minute I need to think of the rest of the world or planet........

I think the way relationships are going as well, you could have 2-3 kids with your partner, then split up, go on to find a new partner and maybe want to have a child together one day. Don't think there's anything wrong with wanting that.

I think Id rather bring 6 productive, hard working, moral individuals into this world than 1 disrespectful, delinquent! I think the 'world resources' issue has to be balanced with what you want you children to give/take from the world. Some people can contribute more than they take from the world.

That's true becky...

Snappykat even if ou aren't lving off benefits, surely you're still gettig state help with schooling, healthcare etc. I'm don't really have a strong view one way or the other, I just think it's interesting hearing people's thoughts. My cousin has 3 kids and says he doesn't reckon they could be as good parents as they wouldn't have enough time if they had any more. But then I think in a way that's similar to saying you don't think
You'll have enough love. You find the
Time and find the love!

I do think there is a balance between being
Responsible and living your life the way you want to...

I have 6 kids and me and my oh are great parents and our kids are wonderful people we don't get hand outs and live very comfortably given the chance I will have 1 more. I don't think that makes me selfish at all.

^^ definately agree. Its selfish to have just one child if youre not prepared to give them all they need to grow up healthy and happy.

I think the idea that people should only have a certain number of children is a bit absurd tbh! I mean look at china... The greater majority of people in our country are over 60, which leads to all sorts of problems! I think we're now far too concerned about materialistic things, 50-60 years ago, it was the norm for families to have upwards of 6 children and families were based on love and the whole "make do and mend" philosophy! We're all becoming a lot better at recycling etc so I dont see the problem with people having a shed load of kids! Id rather have 6 that were brought up in a loving, caring environment than 1 that sits infront of their x box all day with their iPhones etc!

I think it's a personal choice for each couple to decide on, as long as the kids are loved and provided for (without loads of handouts) each to their own. I always felt a bit sorry for my daughter growing up as an only child, yes she has been spoilt over years but it would have been nice for her to grow up with siblings, I think at 14 she will be more like a second mum to her new brother!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back