How many bags have you got for hospital?

futuremum

Reaction score
Hello!!!

I have just packed my bags for hospital and I think i went over the top. I have a really big one with a changing bag full of baby products plus mine as well as my clothes for and after labour. I also have an average size bag for baby. As I do not know for how long I am going to be there and how big the baby will be I took clothes for newborn and 0- months plus blankets, towels, which takes a lot of room. what takes a huge space are the nappies, maternity towels, breats pads.....

Have I packed too much do you think? Can the hospital turn your bags down for space reason? I am so sorry but I am panicking for nothing now lol

I've got:

a Small holdall type labour bag, with all my bits and pieces, plus one sleepsuit, one nappy etc.

My "after" bag:
about 6 sleepsuits, maternity pads,about 10 nappies, some clothes for me etc.

At home I have a "spares bag" This is so hubby can pop home and get extra baby clothes, nappies, breast pads etc if I have a longer stay.

I'm not taking towels or blankets, I'm sure they'll have that stuff at the hospital. The biggest thing I'm taking is my dressing gown.

I have just been speaking to mu OH about this, when i was having Amy i had 2 bags, one with Baby stuff in and one with my stuff in.

I want to buy one big bag for this one, by the time you have packed nappies, wipes and clothed for baby, you will not have much room for your stuff.

They will not turn bags away at the hospital, as you have your own cubical anyway- well they didn't with me.

i've packed the same a urcin, one bag for wot i'll need in labour and just after and the other bit's i'll need after, but i have packed towel's (as hospital's don't tend to supply them for you) and a blanket as u'll be able to use the one's on hospital for the baby while ur there but not for taken the baby home. I've also packed a bag for my 2 DD's as they'll be going to my brother's while i'm in having the baby; so i don't want to have to rush packing thier pj's, clothes, tooth brush, and nappies for the youngest

Things to bring into hospital with you:

Toiletries and night wear
Clothes to wear during the day once you have had the baby (T-shirts and leggings)
Bath towel
Bra and breast pads
Disposable pants
Sanitary towels
Coins for the phone

Additional things for when you are in labour to make you feel more comfortable:
Comfortable nightie or a big T shirt
Lip salve
Water spray
Don't forget the camera and the film
For partners: ensure there is enough petrol in the car!

For the baby:
Disposable nappies
Vests and babygros
Cotton wool
Scratch mitts

What to take for your stay in hospital

Two to three front-opening nightgowns
Bathrobe
Socks and slippers
Maternity underwear, including a nursing bra and breast pads
Two to three packets of maternity sanitary towels
Personal care items such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, hairbrush, comb and body lotion
Massage oils, lotions or a tennis ball. Your partner can use these to give you a back massage
Reading and/or writing material, just in case you are in for a long wait (or stay)
CD player/radio; soothing music might help you to relax
Camera/video camera or digital camera and enough rolls of film or tape. You don't want this photo opportunity to go by without someone capturing the special moment! Make sure that you can lock these items up in a cupboard or other safe place
If you want to phone family and friends with the good news after your baby has been born, you should not forget to pack your cellular telephone. However, make sure that you are allowed to use the phone in the hospital
A watch or clock with a second hand to time your contractions
If you haven't decided on a name for your baby, don't forget to put a baby name book in the bag
Snacks such as boiled or glucose sweets and diluted natural fruit juice
Extra set of clothes and flat shoes that you can wear when leaving the hospital
Some women take their make-up bag, while others prefer not to bother with it. However, be prepared for photo opportunities!

What to take for your newborn baby

A few nappies
Waterproof pants
At least two to three babygros
Socks or booties
Blanket
A car seat that your newborn baby will fit into
If there are other items that you think might make for a more comfortable stay in hospital, take them with. It is also a good idea to take an empty bag in which you can put all the presents you and your new baby will receive during your stay in hospital.

Hope that helps!!

I have a holdall with everything in it :?
And I'm taking a rucksack with snacks and drinks in it for during and just after the labour and birth and for OH of course :)
I only live about a 5min drive from the hospital though so OH can always pop home and get me anything extra I need.
I'm hoping that I'm fit and well enough to go home pretty soon after the birth too. Don't have any plans to stay any longer than is absolutely necessary!! LOL xxx

Thanks to all of you for the replies. So It is normal to have a big bag then lol, might try to make it a big smaller, I am always worried I have too much, like when I am going on holiday, always pack loads I never wear lol

When I had my first I took in a small suitcase!!!

Hardly used anything that was in it and felt a right pratt!! But it's better to have too much than not enough, I think!!

I've got a small suitcase for my stuff and a holdall for baby's stuff. I couldn't fit it in anything else and I'm only taking what I definately need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back