How long?

oliviarose

Reaction score
What do you think is the right amount of time to breastfeed for, there seem to be wild variations and I am not sure what is best for the baby?

Ideally all babies should be exclusively breastfed for at least 6 months and then continue as supplement to weaning until 1 year (when they are able to drink cow milk so same as if you feed formula). The WHO recommends continuing until at least 2 years.

In reality this doesn't suit or isn't possible for all mums but any breast milk is beneficial to baby so if breastfeeding is going well then people should continue as long as they are happy to.

ETA Or did you mean how long should each feed take? That will vary a lot depending on mum's supply, baby's age and why baby is suckling eg food, thirst, comfort, so no easy answer.

Last edited:
It's one of those big everyone is different things.

I'm nearly 9 months in and plan to continue until a year when I will cut down and use cows milk. For me I really don't want to give my child formula, just a personal thing and I'd never judge or comment on those that do, I just don't want to.

I'm lucky though we live on a farm and I'm not returning to work as I can help out plenty at home so I'm never really going to be away from baby so I can breastfeed as long as I like. Obviously for some it becomes unsuitable.

As mentioned above its recommended until two years but it's really what suits you.

Breast milk really is the best nutrition you can give your child so even if you only give it for a short time it's still great

I'd say at least a year to avoid formula (by the way, after 1 they don't need cows' milk either...)

I tried cows milk with my daughter but it made her eczema bad and sometimes she would throw up, so I stopped and continued breastfeeding and gave oat milk when it was needed on cereal etc.

I've since gone vegan so if/when I need some other milk it will be almond milk like we use now.

However my daughter was breastfed til she self weaned at 6, and I plan to do full term breastfeeding with this baby too, so don't envisage stopping before 5. But they will drink some almond milk as well from 1/2yrs.

Last edited:
Like others mentioned it's a personal thing so do what's beds for you. I've been bf for just over 8 months and plan to continue until a year.

I know Phoenix is a vegan which is fine, I'm definitely not and my lg will be getting cows milk from a year, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm a dairy farmers daughter and even now at 26 I drink a glass a day

I'll actually be introducing cows milk at about 11 months to my lg during the day (I know the recommendation is a year) as at that time we will be lambing on our farm and during the day she will be with a baby sitter. She can have breast milk on a morning and evening for as long as she likes, although I'd like to think she'll be off it by 2

As you say, everyone says differently. I think 'guidelines' say until 6 months at least.

At my 6 week post natal check up my doctor said the after the first two weeks the rest is a bonus.

As you say, everyone says differently. I think 'guidelines' say until 6 months at least.

Just to clear up any confusion, official guidelines (NHS, AAP etc etc) all state exclusive breastfeeding (no other food or fluids/formula etc) should ideally happen for 6 months, with continued breastfeeding (alongside solids) for a further 6 months or more.

"How long should I breastfeed for?

Exclusive breastfeeding (with no other food or drink) is recommended for around the first six months of your baby's life. After this, breastfeed alongside other foods for as long as you and your baby wish. This might be into their second year or beyond."

(Taken from http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/breastfeeding-problems.aspx )

Last edited:
I aimed for 6 weeks... Which turned into 6 months and now I'm still going at nearly 8 months! Although just introduced a bottle of formula in the day to slowly wean her off in prep for work :( aim to feed her mornings and night until she's one though hopefully :)

I understand the advice as: as long as you can (and baby wants to).

I've just made it past a year, had a variety of horrendous problems along the way, but very happy to still be here doing it!

I'd say at least a year to avoid formula (by the way, after 1 they don't need cows' milk either...)

I tried cows milk with my daughter but it made her eczema bad and sometimes she would throw up, so I stopped and continued breastfeeding and gave oat milk when it was needed on cereal etc.

I've since gone vegan so if/when I need some other milk it will be almond milk like we use now.

However my daughter was breastfed til she self weaned at 6, and I plan to do full term breastfeeding with this baby too, so don't envisage stopping before 5. But they will drink some almond milk as well from 1/2yrs.

Hi Phoenix

Did you see this article? http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/child-develops-scurvy-almond-milk-based-diet

I'm a former vegan (I now eat eggs, but am allergic to dairy), personally I drink fortified Oatly oat milk which has extra calcium & vitamins etc. I have hazelnut milk as a treat :)

Yeah, the article p*ssed me off lol. All the headlines imply the baby got scurvy because it drank almond milk, which isn't true.

The problem wasn't the almond milk, it was the fact that the baby wasn't getting adequate food as well or vitamin fortification.

If you feed almond milk that is shop bought it has some vitamins (calcium, b6 etc) added usually.
If you also feed enough fresh fruit and vegetables they will get plenty of vitamin C, no chance of scurvy!

If someone fed their kid nothing but mashed potato the kid would get vitamin deficiencies eventually, but that doesn't mean mashed potato is inherently bad or "to blame". Or that all kids who eat mashed potato will get sick. Like any food, the point is it should be part of a balanced diet, not the only food source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back