How long until can give a bath?

Jellybeanjen

Reaction score
My newborn is a week old tomorrow and I was wondering how long until I can bathe her? Her unbilical chord is still there so dont want to cause any infection with that or upset her skin.
How long did you wait? And how often should a baby be bathed?

I also have a top and tail bath thing to give her a wash so dunno if this would be better?

And any prime temperature? Xxx

Tapatalking so I can't see sigs x

I was told in London wait 5 days due to the hard water but most other areas its 3 days. Just pat dry the umbilical cord with a clean, dry muslin. I have one of those bath thermometer things but I think (but not certain at all) it shouldn't be more than 30degrees. You can use baby bath if you like but maybe when she's so young just once a week?
I was told this by the nursery nurse when we were in hospital. She even showed me how to hold her etc!

Also, now I do it every day but before she hit 4 weeks I bathed her once or twice a week. If they do an explosive poo then just wash their bottom in the sink rather than a bath. You'll find that get skin gets very dry anyway and the bath will make it worse. Olive oil does the trick on dry skin.xxx

I dont bath every day as their skin is dry and tbh they dont need it. Top and tail is enough. I waited for the cord to drop off which took a week.
As for temperature, i stick my elbow in:) but should be around 37 C
A tip - put muslin cloth on top if using baby bath so they are not exposed to cold air.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I bath my boys every other day. I have done since they were a few days old. Don't worry about her cord. As long as you gently dry it it'll be fine. I've always used bath products from day one too. Her skin will probably get dry and flakey anyway because she's been in fluid for 9 months but rubbing olive oil on the dry bits works a treat x

I use coconut oil, really lovely and smells lush. Makes his skin so soft. I dont miss the cord stump, they smell! Lol

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I was told not to bathe J until his cord had dropped off, so he only got a top and tail each day until he was 2.5 weeks old!

It was lovely to be able to bathe him properly...and whilst he screams when we undress him (he hates being naked!) - he absolutely loves the bath and would probably stay in there for hours given half the chance. I use a teeny tiny bit of Johnsons baby bath in his water - literally about half a teaspoons worth and then give him a little massage with olive oil afterwards xx

I bathed Flynn at 2 days, they do in hospital the day after they are born here but I didn't wait around long enough. I was just extra careful around his cord.

I waited until day 12 when her cord fell off. Not sure of bath temp we just go by how it feels. We only bath her about 3X a week now. Just started using a bit of baby bath and baby shampoo now as she has very sensitive skin. She loves the water! Loves going swimming too lol

We waited until about day 5 I think. His cord didn't fall off until day 10 though. The water temperature should be around 37 degrees, although, Ethan prefers it slightly warmer now (he's 8 months old). We bath him every other night, use asda little angels bath products and smother him in junior oilatum after his bath xx

we gave her a bath the day she came home (3days old) but only in water, no baby washs or creams etc for another week and we were careful not to get her cord wet.

now she gets washed every 2-3days but I wash her face and neck twice a day everyday with warm sterile water

xx

Libby gets bathed every couple of days just in water. I think we waited until her cord came off but that fell off at about 7 days.

Keep reading about coconut oil think I may have to buy some as she has really dry skin

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back