How long to empty bottles stay sterilised for???!!!

Sunbeam638

Reaction score
I'd like to think I have a brain but clearly not and I'm so confused!

LO has one bottle of formula a day & my question is this:

Once you sterilise a bottle and its drying/I've taken it out of the steriliser, how long will it stay sterile for as an empty bottle?

I use the avent microwave steriliser and it leaves water vapour on the bottles so like to dry them but because LO only has one bottle a dày I was wondering how long the empty ones are sterile for?!

For the love of me I cannot find a straight answer on google!!xx

My microwave steriliser says that if you leave the bottles in the unopened steriliser theyre good for 24 hours. If you take them out and put them together they need using that day. Well that's what mine says :)

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

Drying them out makes them unsterile?! I take them out of the steriliser and put them together straight away. I don't know how long they stay sterile for, but I don't dry them out. Kind of defeats the object of sterilising them?

You don't need to dry them hun, the water is sterile after microwaving and keeping them open to dry will allow bacteria and nasties in xxxxxxx

^^wss

I take bottles out of the steriliser and screw them up straight away and just give it a shake of excess water when I use it.

I also leave sterilised bottles on the side for a few days screwed up but I'm not sure if you are meant to do that. I've never had any trouble but T only has expressed breast milk every few days.

I've got the avent sterilizer too. I tend to sterilize them in a morning and keep them in there sealed :)

I think you can keep them in there for 24 hours x

Tapatalking :)

Thank you ladies your fab! Right ho from now on I will sterilise & keep them sealed till I need them.

I sterilise and use in 24 hours and keep them empty until I need them that day but wasn't sure if I could keep them empty for longer without re sterilising them. I need to get with the program!xx

N'aww don't worry hun. It's difficult to know what's what in the early days with a screaming baby and lack of sleep lol x

I take the bottles out, build them up, and put them in the fridge and leave no longer than 24hrs. I guess the fridge would keep them fresher lol xx

Technically as soon as you take them out of the steriliser they are no longer sterile (as the air gets in) but I just took them out, screwed them together and used them within 24 hours. Otherwise you would have to sterilise a bottle every time you needed one! You just have to make them as sterile as you physically can or you would drive yourself mad worrying about it (I remember worrying about it as well when my lo was a few weeks old!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back