How long does/did your baby sleep at 4 weeks old?

MrsHope

Reaction score
What sort of sleep pattern did your lo have at this age? How long did they sleep for? We are only getting 4hrs sleep per day. She is up all day and has only been having the odd short 30min nap. So by the time I settle on the sofa to fall asleep she is up again. She just feeds constantly during the day (and she is putting on quite a lot of weight which is good in case she does need that operation on her heart.)

Everyone's lo on the April/May mummies thread seems to be sleeping longer. In all honesty we just can't function on so little sleep. Hubby and I do all the night work together because if just one did it we'd fall asleep.

She is still only eating between 3-4oz at each feed. This takes her about 40mins then it takes us an hour and a half to settle her and get her down. Then exactly on the dot she is up and crying 2hrs later. Whoever said newborns are boring because they sleep 15hrs per day or whatever it is is clearly lying! I spend all day entertaining her. She has already been up since 5am and she won't have her short nap until when Jeremy Kyle is on lol x

If i remember rightly she only woke for feeds at this point maybe the odd hour she was up x

At 4 weeks Aaron was only waking for feeds Hun.

Is she sleeping 4 hours total throughout the day? I'd speak to your HV if this is the case xx

Tapatalking!

At this age James was having a 2-3 hours every 2-3 hours! He'd wake up for food and bum change and then literally go back to sleep!

xxxx

Last edited:
At 4 weeks my lo was sleeping 10-8 at night. She was (and still is) a cat napper in the day but would still nap every 60mins. I would have a word with hv too if your lo is only sleeping 4 hours x

I can't remember! It's all a big sleepy blur! Ha ha

My LO only woke for feeds too, prob til about 6-7 weeks, I was worried he was sleeping too much! I think they are all different but mention it to your hv xxx

She just isn't sleeping during the day at all. The odd nap. Me and hubby are only getting 4hrs sleep per day. Hubby is trying to put her down now cause she's been up since 5 but no such luck. HV just says feed on demand and she is feeding practically all day! Bottle after bottle yet she doesn't sleep after it during the day. She just wakes herself up all the time x

I wonder if shes comfort eating due to silent reflux? Has the hv or mw thought of that? 4ish weeks is also growth spurt time. Poor you. It must be awful. Xx

tapatalking

Silent reflux? I will have to look that up. I see the HV every week to get her weighed so will ask. Thanks hun x

The lack of sleep during the day I experienced with my son, I know exactly how you feel. People use to say to me sleep while the babies sleeping and I was like yeah right!! Firstly I wanted to reassure you my son is a fantastic sleeper now and naps in rhe daytime for 3 hours even now. they have lots of growth spurts at this age so just feed feed feed. When I reflect on the newborn stage with my son I often wonder if he was over stimulated and thats why he couldnt sleep, you dont really need to do much with them at this point. my Grace id the complete opposite to jack and she sleeps constantly but I am also very different in my parenting approach. I have to keep things very calm for her, difficult with a toddler around! Something I never did with jack at that age was getting out the house in the pram, I think this is the best way to get them to settle. Always remember sleep breeds sleep and it will get better xx

We are just so tired, I feel awful saying it. I'm out this afternoon with her. She just cries in her pram. She doesn't cry in the car seat but it doesn't make her sleepy either xx

My littl one was/ is a cat napper! We used to stress so much about how little sleep she seemed to have- 15/ 20mins here and there. But she always slept well at night. Even now, at 5 months, she rarely does more than an hour, 3 times per day! But she sleeps all night, so I'm not complaining!

Firstly, remember all babies are different- we drive ourselves crazy reading up on how many hours per day she should be sleeping.

Secondly, your little one may need peace and quiet to sleep- Molly is, and always has been a nosey little thing, and would not settle, unless on us, in the lounge with the tv on, for example. So we put her to bed, in her Moses basket with the monitors on, quite early on, and she slept much better, almost straight away.

Unless your little one is really unhappy, she may be getting what she needs in those tiny bursts. Not easy for you, I know- the whole 'sleep when baby sleeps' has not happened for me in 5 months. :)

She was doing fine and only waking for feeds until Monday. She had an awful night the night before then didn't sleep at all during the day on Monday and just screamed on and off but slept well on Monday night. Then yesterday she had a good day really. Settled and napping but again a bad night. I'm just at my whits end because I'm so tired :( it's just the change has been so out of the blue :( it makes me feel like we're doing something wrong x

Like clockwork she is napping when Jeremy Kyle is on x

It could be a growth spurt if its just been the last few days?
Libby had days where she would just feed and feed with little cat naps thrown in.

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackson had silent reflux early on, it was awful. He never slept. But once it died down he would sleep loads, he still does and he's 5m, he didn't fully get up till 1pm today from 9pm last night lol.

Check up the symptoms online, my HV refused to agree j had silent reflux, had to take him to gp xxxx

Its difficult as I do think babies this young should be sleeping a lot - My Jack was the same though but by 6 or 7 months he was sleeping really well like clockwork and still does! I know its not nice but you may just have to ride it out and just sleep whenever you can. Things will get so much easier in another couple of months.

How does she sleep at night? She sounds really like my son. At about 5-6 weeks he stopped nodding off on his own in the day and would hardly ever sleep as a result. This coincided with him getting better at night. I learnt that I have to force him to sleep. He gets tired after being up about 80-90 minutes, so around this time I'll make it nice and quiet, close the curtains and rock him to sleep with a dummy. Then I'll put him down in his cot. I also go for a walk in the morning with him and time this so he'll sleep during it and when we go out in the afternoon, I try to time the car journey to help him sleep. No matter where or how he sleeps, he still only naps for about 30-40 minutes though. It's a bit easier for me now because he sleeps 9-5 and then goes down again for an hour or two. Just sleep when you can and forget everything else like housework etc! If she goes down for half an hour, have a half hour nap yourself. It makes the world of difference. And drink lots of tea/coffee! I can cope with anything being a mum throws at me as long as I have my tea!

Don't worry too much hun.
Katie has never slept for more than 30mins a time during the day since she was born. Even now it's 5 mins here 5 mins there with sometomes 10mins thrown in.

Like you I was getting peed off with everyone telling me to sleep when she sleeps when she hardly did sleep!

At least at nights she wasn't too bad. Started off every 2 to 3 hours but once found out had reflux and put on gaviscon she went down to only 3 feeds a night.

She's now 5 months old, not on anything but her bottle and down to 2 feeds a night and still only cat naps in the day but growing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back