How long are you planning on having baby in with you

I was aiming for 5-6 months but only have a Moses basket and he's a right little chunk so I imagine he'll outgrow that way before 5 months...

If you're planning on having your LO in with you for sometime invest in something sturdier than a moses basket. By 12 weeks they will be wriggling and kicking in their sleep like no ones business, making it unsafe. My son would make his basket rock himself with all his shuffling!

We moved him at 11 weeks cos we didn't have room for his cotbed in our room and had well out grown the moses basket. His sleep improved drastically around the same time. He started sleeping from 9-5 and will go back down for an hour or so after this feed. His room is darker in the mornings than ours and he's not disturbed by my OH getting up for work at 5.30am. Plus he has points in the night when he will either wake up and settle back to sleep himself or will thrash about while still asleep. We would be settling him by rocking his basket or feeding him etc and I think that actually woke him more sometimes! Now he settles quicker and easier himself.

I'm making a loose plan of 3-6 months but really want to just see how I go.

Our first grew out of the Moses basket at 4.5 months. We couldn't fit a cot in our room to keep her in with us any longer.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Devons still in my bed!! Hes 2.5 ( before you judge, hubbys a night worker so theres always a space in my double bed and as devons sharing our room he gets out of his bed and into mine before i go up!

Will need to find a solution before baby but with him i breastfed for a year and so easy to co sleep right from day one so will def do the same this time.

As i have a three bed and will have 5 kids the three older ones have there own rooms ( one a converted ulility room downstairs) as i didnt want them to suffer as a result of my baby making choices/ starting again. My two little ones will then be sharing my room till about 10 or whenever one of the biggys moves out!! We have a funny shape room and so will put a stud wall up once we have the money in a few years. If we cant get devon out of my bed we might have to do it sooner or ill be sleeping downstairs and not cosleeping but using pram carrycot till 4 mths and quiet nights again.

Sorry im a complicated story! But i would def consider the first 6 mths in your room. You may find that babymight be ready but you might not be, its scarey to have them away from you , youd be permenantly checking on them!

God help us if its a girl...harder to share past ten!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies - I'm going to go with flow but rent the bed nest so can do the 6 months :) our spare room is very close anyway as we live in a shoebox ha ha. I'd like to do the 6 months though x

We only live in a small(ish) 2 bed so plan is Boo will be in with us for 6months (unless he out grows his basket, which he shouldn't as it's meant for 0-9/12months), then provided we've managed to convert our front room into a 3rd bedroom (it needs a LOT of work) Connor will be moving into our current room as it's the biggest, Boo will go into Connor's current room & we'll move down stairs to the front room. Personally I don't think I could relax if he was in his own room, I panick enough about Connor being on his own at night (though he normally climbs into bed with us) & he's 4. But it is very much personal opinion, at the end of the day Mum (& Dad) know best in most cases so go with your gut instinct x

Probably for the first year like I did with my other two. But would not personally feel happy about moving them before 6 months. I also plan on BF again and it just makes sense to me having them in a cot next to me so I don't have to get out of bed for the night feeds.

We had planned on moving her into her own room at 4/5 months, which we did for about a week (OH says it was 3 days!) but she just didn't take to it. Since we tried doing that, her sleeping pattern was terrible. However, in the last few months, we've had her in a compact cot in our room and it's worked so well for us she sleeps right through most nights now.

What I've found to be a factor is that she settles so much quicker with a little reminder that mummy's there, and barely even wakes up after rousing. Whereas before she would properly wake up and cry, now she responds to my skin touching hers an goes straight back to sleep. This even works in the morning sometimes so I can get a lie in!

We'll try moving her into her own room when she's a year old, next month xx

PS the compact cot was from Ikea, great for the narrow space beside our bed http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00115751/

We had planned on moving her into her own room at 4/5 months, which we did for about a week (OH says it was 3 days!) but she just didn't take to it.

We had the complete opposite! Our LO kept being woken in our room by me getting up to use the loo in the night (even though I was as quiet as I could be). We still kept her with us until 6 months, but as soon as she went into her own room she slept brilliantly. The first night she slept a solid 12 hours without waking! I slept really badly though - got up so many times to check she was ok!!!

I've still got Harry in with me at 7 months.
He was in his Moses basket until 5 months anyway and now the travel cot.
We are hoping to put him in his own room about 9/10 months but its not set in stone.
Everybody and baby is different and it's about what suits you! But I personally love being woken up every morning with his little chatter!

My twins sleep with us in a cotbed adjusted to be a bed nest, as i breastfeed them both. They will stay in our bed until i feel ready, which i hope will be around 6-8 months.

2 or 3 weeks with my daughter, 17 months with my son!!!!! but we were only in a 1 bedroom place when we had our son, so no choice, lol.....he never slept through until we moved and gave him his own room though! by the time we had our daughter we were in a 3 bed house :)

when baby no3 comes along (whenever that maybe) we will have to have them in our room for a good while, as they will be too young to share with one of our other children.....

As the baby will go in with either the girls or my boy will prob stay with us until baby sleeps through!

I always keep mine in for one year. It just makes our lives much easier. We have plenty of room to move them out but I hate having to walk down the hall to check on my little one all the time. There is not right or wrong amount of time, it is what fits your life.

DD was in our room for 10 weeks as she kept waking herself up when she threw her arms out as she was a tall girl and the Moses basket was too small at that point. We did co sleep as and when we needed to though. The first few weeks of her being in her own room, I slept in her room with her to make sure she was ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back