How healthy are you and your OH?

Loola

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick question from me - I usually reside in TTC (hopefully not for much longer). I just wanted to ask how healthy were you and your OH whilst you were TTC? Did you become more healthy whilst you TTC and do you think this helped you get your BFP?

My OH is quite overweight, and although he is now dieting and eating more healthily, it is going to take quite some time for him to get to a healthy weight. Has anyone else been in the same kind of situation?

Firstly I believe changing your lifestyle is a big no-no. My OH and I are not extremely healthy, I am overweight, and OH smokes (I did but quit when got my BFP with Isaac). I'm 30 and OH is 32.

I just think the stress and boredom and grrrrrrrrrness of denying yourself can stop you getting pregnant because you're just not happy. If being healthier makes you happy, than that's different, and this is all just my personal opinion, I'm not saying its wise.

Also, I believe there's something in alcohol that helps BFP, I had whiskey just before getting my BFP with both Isaac and this LO, move over guafinsen (sp?)

Very best wishes Loola, you may get that January BFP train yet :wink: :hug: :hug: :hug:

PeachBabydust.gif

Hubby's quite healthy although he does drink a bit too much (side effect of being in a couple of bands :roll: ) but I'm not, I'm overweight and unfit.

When we started TTC I tried to improve my diet by increasing veg intake and less fat and no drinking for me (didn't drink much anyway) which can't have done any harm.

Since I got my BFP I've been so scared of indigestion (not the acid kind but the kind that feels like you're having a heart attack!) as I can't take the drugs that ease it, that I've been eating little and often and have lost 3lb's without even trying. I'm not gonna try to continue to lose weight while pregnant just try and make sure I only gain baby weight.

I agree with Redshoes that you shouldn't stress yourself about it too much as it will just delay your BFP.

Good luck, I'm sure whatever changes you choose will help you get your BFP soon :hug:

I agree with Redshoes - I didn't give up drinking or smoking (socially) and we didn't change our diets. We both eat fairly well and are not overweight but I think the stress of giving up treats would have made it harder to conceive xx

Thanks so much for your replies :) Im a little bit overweight (about a stone) but my OH is very overweight, he is 6'2 and built big but even so, I bought a scales the other day and when he weighed himself it just read, 'Err' so I guess that means he's over 24stone! So for his own good he needs to lose weight and definitely get more exercise. We went for a walk around the block last night and it almost killed him :( We are not dieting so to speak, just eating healthily, so this should help him and his spermies to become more motivated! Ive got him taking Zinc and multi-vitamins too. I have given up smoking but OH still smokes a couple of ciggies a day. He is only going to drink on Friday and Saturday nights now too which is much better than every night (like it was). So really he is doing it for his own good, but having a baby is a good incentive for him.
But like you have said, Im not going to deny myself eating a bar of chocolate or a bag of crisps now and then.

Sorry that was a long post!!

We are not the fittest people in the world, but we both exercise regularly, be it dog walking lots, cycling or my OH playing cricket. I also have an active life round horses, chickens and other animals.

However, when we conceived, I was overweight and on an eating plan to lose a stone so as to have a better chance of getting PG and losing a bit of weight before becoming PG, as losing it during is not an option.

We both eat healthily though, no junk food, fizzy crap drinks, ready meals etc. I don't drink alcohol at all, OH only rarely. We also eat lots of fresh fruit and veg and fresh cooked meals.

I was 36 when I got PG, turned 37 a month later. My OH is 25. It was our first month of trying :lol:

I think its more important to be relaxed and not stressing about getting PG, but do believe being healthy as possible and eating decent food is also good. I think your OH losing weight is a good thing though, not only for trying for a baby but for his long term health. And should a baby come along, he'll be fitter and more able to play an active part in LO's life which will be wonderful and well worth it.

If your OH eats well, has the odd treat and as he loses weight, just takes a bit more exercise, even if its a walk a day, he'll gradually get fitter and be able to do more.

Good luck to you both and hope to see you here soon :) :hug:

When we got our BFP and whilst TTC, my OH smokes and drinks when out with friends and although i am not over weight i don't really eat that healthy, just what i want and when i want.

I believe changing your lifestyle will cause to much stress as well as the stress of TTC. Good luck xxx

I fell pg on our 3rd month of ttc which is the month I decided to start a diet and do an exercise dvd 3 times a week. I was about 2 stone overweight I think.
I think having something to take my mind off ttc helped more than the fitness kick.
The week leading up to getting my bfp I thought I was getting ill cos I just didn't have the energy to do a whole exercise dvd when I'd manged to do it all the week before :lol:
I've been a piggy since getting my bfp and the weight has piled on! I'll be joining weight watchers once I've finished breast feeding

I went on a healthy kick before TTC not only to make conceiving easier but to make the actual pregnancy easier. I took up weightlifting again, started the gym 2-3x a week, and dropped half a stone before even starting TTC. I also don't drink soda (at all) and severely limit any fast food intake (once a month if that).

The first month was while we were traveling and it was stressful, second month I didn't time it right, third month was the charm. I can't say getting healthier helped me TTC, but I am happier with myself and have more energy, which I know I will draw upon when I am 9 months pregnant in the dog days of summer!

I agree with the other ladies here - cutting things drastically down may be more stressful than it is worth. Moderation is really the key. My DH compromised by drinking at the weekend and I stuck to a glass of wine twice a week or so.

And again to me the most important thing is staying healthy not just for myself but for my pregnancy, the baby and its future. Hope this helps and good luck :)

OH and I did go on quite a health kick towards the end of our TTC and I do think that it helped. OH had low motility sperm and so his giving up smoking and taking of supplements must have helped, I reckon. He cut out drinking too and we both went on an organic only diet. I don't know which bit, if any got us our BFP but we did feel like we were doing something positive :)

Wishing you and your OH all the luck in the world Loola :hug: And sending babydust your way :)

I like my food but I am a vegetarian. I did go to the gym 4 times a week, cycling in the summer and walking when the weather is decent. Husband is a gym freak and I had to talk him into slowing down because I have been told that if they work out too much it can make sperm count less, similar to hot showers etc. So thats all we changed, he changed his gym routine from 7 times a week to 6 times :rotfl: That was difficult enough to convince him.

Other than that we made sure we did not switch on our bedroom tv, we found that could often change things if something great was on tele during ovulation.

The only changes I feel I made were 8 hours of sleep, not worrying too much (impossible task), eating fruits and veg just to give myself a psychological boost and hubby not overdoing the gym. Other than that just relax and enjoy the time. Our bodies are different and as long as we drink plenty of water, eat well including junk food from time to time and rest - our bodies are working with us.

All the best TTC and I hope January brings you good news. :pray:

Thanks everyone :hug: this really has been so helpful and I do really feel alot better about our chances of conceiving. Mildly I didnt realise your OH had low motility sperm, its great to see it didnt stop you getting pregnant! As we have made the same lifestyle changes as you have this gives me much hope! :D

OH swears by the ginseng tea that he was consuming in large quantities and his giving up the booze. He also took co enzyme 10 supplements which are meant to be a good boost for sperm too.

Yay for you both! I expect to see you joining us here in tri 1 very soon ;) :D

Now, OH and I weren't actually trying to conceive but just in case it's any use...

We normally eat quite healthily (veg most nights etc) but we both like our snacks too. I drank about 2-5 units a week and he drank about 10. He is a regular runner, I'm most certainly not, but I do go out walking quite a bit.

When we conceived, we were on holiday and though we both normally have stressful jobs we both relaxed loads and laughed and did very little - I think this is why I conceived. A schoolteacher friend of mine who was also very stressed conceived at almost exactly the same time.

Also, in the chatroom when it still existed, all of us who were talking at one point had been on holiday when we'd conceived so I definitely think there's something in relaxing and taking things as they come?

Anyway I just wrote an essay - sorry! Good luck with the TTC Loola, I have been following your progress on the TTC forum for a while and I really hope you get your BFP soon :pray:

Hiya,

I agree with Sherlock. I think being stress free and happy is the most important thing. We were ttc several years ago but at the time I was MASSIVELY stressed and unhappy - so much so I had a breakdown. Once I realised it was my attitude and how i dealt with things that shaped my happiness my life flipped on its head. I can honestly say I finally feel truly contented. So when I came of the pill this time it took about 6 weeks!! (Also - being less stressed meant we were having more sex heh heh). I think it is easy to fall into the trap of worrying about every little thing you do - or don't do - but just enjoying yourself and your OH is much better for your body. I learnt that even though I didn't always feel stressed I was still carrying it around in my body and this gave me all sorts of physical sympton, backache, headaches, sickness etc.

Sorry this has turned into a long post. Basically be happy and take pleasure in life.

Good luck
:hug: :cheer:

Sherlock said:
I was 36 when I got PG, turned 37 a month later. My OH is 25. It was our first month of trying :lol:

Coincidently I was 36 when I got pregnant last month and next week, a month after my BFP I'll be 37 :lol: My oh is younger than me too but only by 5 years and I got pregnant the first month we managed to BD around ovulation :D

Thanks again ladies for all your good luck wishes! I think I need to quit my job - its the only way Ill ever be stress free! Though I have to admit me and my OH are happier than ever at the moment, with each other anyway. We are always have some stress as we care for his Schizophrenic brother part of the week - coincidentally who always seems to be there when I am at my most fertile :roll: but I guess we will always have that in our lives so we better get used to it!

mrs_metal said:
Sherlock said:

Coincidently I was 36 when I got pregnant last month and next week, a month after my BFP I'll be 37 :lol: My oh is younger than me too but only by 5 years and I got pregnant the first month we managed to BD around ovulation :D

Something about those younger men eh :lol: :cheer: :wink:

We've been together almost 5 years now and really felt ready to try and could not believe our luck. I was prepared for it to take months due to my age but it was quick for us. My OH joked about his potency before hand (he had no clue but felt it would be good) and lo, here were are :lol:

I was the same thought it would take a year at least with my age :)

There's DEFINITLEY a lot to say for younger men :rotfl:

I was so shocked to find out Im pregnant for many reasons one being my OH drinks so much at the moment, used to smoke and do drugs I throught his spermies would be going round in circles or something lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back