How easy was it for you to stop smoking?

LauraMummyToBe

Reaction score
To say I'm going "cold turkey" this first day of no cigarettes has been rather easy. I've had a couple of cravings but I've not snapped and gone to the shop to buy more.

Any tips for going cold turkey?

Appreciate it! X

When I gave up I used nicotine gum - not sure you'd want to use that when pg though! Sorry that's not much use, lots of willpower I'm afraid or just stuff to distract you and occupy your mind when you feel a craving. Good luck xx

well done for deciding to quit!

first day is fine, but it def gets harder. 3 days in and i was climbing the walls. you have the best motivation in the world though right now.

my quitting story is a bit weird cos a week in i got pneumonia and ended up in hospital. I was working at hammersmith hospital at the time though, so was exposed to all sorts of horrible bugs (it was a hospital one i caught), so don't let that put you off. however it made the cravings easier to get through i think cos i was so ill for a month! After i started to recover it came back though, i think the first 6 months are all pretty hard. I found it harder when i'd had a drink so at least there isn't that prob in pregnancy.

i had some patches and lozenges which took the edge off a bit. you can still have these when your pg.

make sure everyone around you knows and supports you through it. i gave everyone permission to give me a strong talking too if i looked like i was going off the rails. i also avoided anyone who seemed to want to make me stop quitting. throw everything to do with smoking out - lighters, matches, any tobacco products, ashtrays etc, it just makes it that much more difficult to do when your feeling desparate.

when you've done it though, its worth the feeling physically better bit and also the mental boost it gives you knowing you can beat it!

Buy and read the Allen Carr book.

I stopped smoking using that book on 9th May 2011, sadly I went on to miscarry the baby I was carrying at the time (plus another two) BUT I never went back to the fags

xxxx

Last edited:
I have never smoked but my partner has decided to stop smoking so when the baby arrives there will be no smoke on his clothes or any where near the baby, but he has struggled . The first week he went cold turkey and managed but he is now smoking again but is determined to stop. Any tips would be good

x

Definately Alan Carr's book!

Giving up smoking is hard because you view it as a sacrifice, quiting smoking is easy because you understand the process. Don;t prolong the withdrawal with nicotine replacement. Read the book!

I agree with the Allan Carr book but if you don't fancy it just try every time you feel like you want a smoke just say to yourself "no I don't" then so something to distract you. Good luck xx

I found myself throwing away all the lighters, rolling papers and everything I could find to do with smoking! :') also, I found myself cleaning... EVERYTHING. Not sure if that was nesting but I was like a mad woman. I woke up at 8:30am like every morning and I found myself cleaning all the kitchen units, the cooker and the cupboards!

That's stopping me crave but my god it is driving me mad all this cleaning frenzy. X

I stopped soon as I found out I was pregnant was easy x

I decided I was going to stop one day and I just did it. Was easy for me...no cravings and certainly don't miss it. Although obviously it can be harder for others. Good luck xx

I went cold turkey pretty much when I found out I was pregnant. Just thought of harm it might do baby and cravings went away. My MW advised I could go to the stop smoking clinic if I needed.

I've also read Allen Car in the past but this didn't really work.

I used nicorette mini lozenges for about a week and I was fine. Went from 25-30 a day to nothing. I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore and I couldn't do it to my unborn baby. Husband quit too, it's a decision we made together to benefit our family and 12 weeks later we're still smoke free. Best decision we ever made.

I was using a vapour cigarette with medium nicotine level paired with my cigs to cut down before I got pregnant. The day of my bfp I soley used the vapour cig with the lowest nicotine level until about ten weeks and then I stopped completely.

I still want a cigarette but im just staying away. Nicotine gum/patches inhalers might not be ideal but they're a hell of a lot better than smoking so dont be afraid to use the aids available if you feel yourself slipping.

Well done for making this choice, good luck

ijust stopped, i got a dummy and whever i felt twitchy id suck on it to give my mouth and hands something to do and to remind myself why i was quitting, never had one since. my dh quit when they found a growth in his bladder but i suppose being told you have cancer is pretty helpful in the quitting quest. he did use the gum tho which seemed to really help him
(hes fine now btw, growth removed and cancer free)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back