How does it begin?

kittykitchn

Reaction score
For the last 24 hours I've had really quite bad lower back ache/cramps, alongside lower bump discomfort (like period/dodgy stomach pain). The pain is a constant, but is worse at times - I wouldn't class as contractions (not that I know!). I would say it was worse this morning, especially my back - I feel quite nauseous because of the pain.

I feel agitated and have the urge to move around.
Baby has not stopped moving, even during the night which is unusual.
I've had very loose poos for the past few days, and going more frequently.
I started leaking a couple of weeks ago, but infrequently and not fishing or constant (midwife said its normal and "probably" watery discharge).

I'm at my father in laws until late this evening so I had planned on seeing how today pans out and calling the hospital tomorrow.

From a first time mum who's bloody scared of missing anything or doing something wrong, how does any of that sound and should I be worried?

It sounds a lot like she's moving down and getting herself in position. It's really hard to know when something might be starting - until it actually has, if that makes sense? With you being so stretched out and all new sensations, it's hard to know what's what. I keep getting afternoons/evenings where I just cannot sit still. On my knees leaning over my ball is comfy, and going for a wander away from my desk when it happens in the afternoon is also helpful. All the discomfort is doing something to help get baby closer to making an appearance though, so try not to get too down about it all if you can xx

Definitely not down, just anxious about being 200 miles away from my hospital and obviously causing any harm to her by not catching it quick enough if something is happening. The painnseems a bit intense for stretching or moving, but we'll see xx

Trust your body, when it's labour you will know!
I was 16 when I had my first (he's 17 now) and I remember having a show 2 weeks or so before due date then 5 days before he was due I started getting niggles during Sunday lunch, wasn't anything major I was just aware of them, then by 6pm I mentioned it to my partner and we were visiting my mum who started timing them for me, it was labour but I didn't have him until 13:30 on the Monday.

All the symptoms you've mentioned are just the bodies way of preparing for labour, as you get closer to your due date you'll be more and more aware of any changes.

If you get pain that you can't manage at home or think your waters have gone ring the hospital, any hospital will see you-it doesn't have to be the one you plan to give birth in xx

Unfortunately the pain DOES get intense for stretching and moving, more than you think is reasonable!!

Saying that, the day I went into labour with my son, I was whining all day about the discomfort (this wasn't the first day I'd had this level of discomfort, or complained as much!!) and my mum (midwife with 30+ years experience!) spent most of it laughing with me, telling me to prepare, because this definitely wasn't labour and it was going to get a whole lot worse! Turns out she was wrong - her face when she realised I was 4cm when she gave me a sweep was hilarious!

The anxiety is totally normal, but if it's getting too much, do you have a community midwife number you can call? Even your local assessment unit at home - just give them a ring and discuss it. We've all got pretty limited experiences of "normal", but the midwives should be able to assure you whether it's ok or not - they've been trained in a much wider spectrum x

Pain has got worse, and is now a constant bad period pain, still waves of it being worse. More leaking.
Called maternity, sounds like a tummy bug apparently! Take some paracetamol and put on a bad. It may not be labour but its not something I've eaten - I know what period pains feel like.

Last thing I want is to give birth is the car. But I guess they know more than I do?

I was induced so might be a bit different but for me it started with period type pain progressing into really bad back pain that turned into contractions. For me most of my pain was in my back and it turned this was because baby was back to back. The pain made me feel really sick too. Trust your instincts, if you're worried call them back x

Have you had braxton hicks before? Could be a combination of that and the position your little miss is in. I got such a fright when I got BH for the first time. I was about 32wks and they hurt. It started with going to the toilet (loose and often) then the BH started. I couldn't sit still with them either. You could also be getting a tummy bug hence the loose bowels! The only thing I will say (and I mean it reassuringly ) is when labour properly starts you'll know all about it. There's no mistaking that pain! Xx

Last edited:
I had terrible pains in my back and belly ache felt like period pains and came and went in waves of intensity. They tole stretching pains. These was worse than I had experienced before as I didn't have cramps but apparently that's what it was. They also said if you don't drink enough water it can cause cramps which I had the other day and had alot of water then I was ok again. Hope you feel better soon x

It eased off yesterday, and then came back much worse on the way home in the car. It was really quite back and the pain made me shake and feel sick. Leaked a bit on the car seat, and have collected some in a sample pot this morning (bit gross, sorry). It's water - but still ever so slightly milky, so I still don't bloody know if it's discharge or not :(

I'm scared of the pain coming back - it would have been "okay" if it were contractions, but having that constant pain for hours and hours was horrible. And if that kind of pain is over nothing, just how am I going to cope with labour?

Will be calling and insisting a bit more if the pains come back, but either way I'm a bit concerned about the fluid - it's still not constant though

Milky would indicate to me that its discharge but if your worried then get it checked out Hun. My waters where completely clear and sticky, they also smelt really sweet. I didn't realise until my waters properly went that is actually been leaking for 2 days prior. I had horrendous constant backache & could see my bump going hard but couldn't feel it through the pain. My mum turned to me on the Saturday and said your in labour & I just brushed it off. 2.5 days later she was here. Apparently her labour with us 2 started in her back xxx

I think you need to go to the hospital and get checked, especially if you're in so much pain. Don't phone and let them fob you off, just go straight up xx

Milky would indicate to me that its discharge but if your worried then get it checked out Hun. My waters where completely clear and sticky, they also smelt really sweet. I didn't realise until my waters properly went that is actually been leaking for 2 days prior. I had horrendous constant backache & could see my bump going hard but couldn't feel it through the pain. My mum turned to me on the Saturday and said your in labour & I just brushed it off. 2.5 days later she was here. Apparently her labour with us 2 started in her back xxx

I've noticed bump seems hard on and off - BUT, it's like that a lot because of the awkward positions she's always in! I don't believe I've had BH yet. Back ache is back, but mild at the moment...

I'm going to attempt to add a picture of the fluid (if people don't mind seeing it). Although it's milky, it's more separated - so water with bits in, if that makes sense.
The woman on the phone yesterday put me off calling again, but I do feel that the amount leaking may be cause for concern (however I'd hate to go in for a bit of painful trapped wind and watery discharge! lol)

Picture below

QU6aoqK.jpg

That does look like discharge. Do you have a midwife visit soon? Could you call your midwife and ask for an appointment? She may ask why and if you explain, she might encourage you to go to the hospital. When I worked in antenatal care, we'd always recommend calling the hospital and getting checked. Even if you phone them and say it may be normal but it's your first baby and you're very worried! xx

It may be that it's water mixed with discharge? If I was you id be going to get checked xxI forgot to say that in the couple of days leading up to my waters going I wasn't leaking constantly- everytime she moved I would get a gush of fluid- that's why I didn't realise that it was my waters until they went. Everyone had said to me waters are straw coloured but mine where literally clear. When I went in to be checked the midwife said oh it just sounds like discharge (because it was clear) I said in this amount? Was literally pouring out of me at this point she said yeh waters are straw coloured, pulled my trousers down to examine me and had another gush & she was like oh no it's deffo your waters xxx

That does look like discharge. Do you have a midwife visit soon? Could you call your midwife and ask for an appointment? She may ask why and if you explain, she might encourage you to go to the hospital. When I worked in antenatal care, we'd always recommend calling the hospital and getting checked. Even if you phone them and say it may be normal but it's your first baby and you're very worried! xx

I see her on Thursday. Last time I saw her I mentioned fluid loss and she told me to call the hospital if it happened again, didn't expect to just be told to put a pad on!
I will more than likely call them in a few hours when OH is back from work

I definitely would if I was you. That's what they are there for so don't feel worried about phoning! Mention that your midwife said if you continued to leak you were to go to the hospital and it continued last night till it went through onto the car seat. Be firm mrs xx

They'll have asked you to put a pad on so your loss can be collected and looked at. Don't use panty liners, as if it's your waters, it'll just soak them up. Your pic looks like watery discharge though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back