How do you keep your lo's routine when out and about?

Personally I'd say your LO should be feeding every 3-4 hours. Regardless of whether you're out or not, I'd aim to feed him around this time. If they're still asleep by the 4 hour mark, I would wake them for a feed. After a while of doing this, they'll get used to feeding every so often and wake for a feed.

To make things easier when out and about, either use the cartons of ready made formula or use a thermos to carry water around with you. You can then use the little pots for the powder. I take a couple of bottles of water out with me in thermal bottle holders and then use the pots for the powder. My mum also has a travel steraliser at her house, so all I need is one bottle and a few pots if I'm up there all day.

In terms of setting a routine, it depends how important it is to you that they are in a routine really. I've recently started a routine with my LO cos I had to get him on more of a schedule cos I'm back to work in two months. It doesn't really take them long to settle into one with some guidance from you. It's taken me about a week with my little fella, so if you're willing to stay in for a few days then it can easily be done. But you also have to be realistic and you can't put your life on hold. Like I said I have LO in a routine now, but generally we go out most days and as a result it changes things. After all you wouldn't not go on a night out cos it meant you might have your tea an hour late would you?! But generally, if we're out it will settle back into the routine once we get home.

Thanks for all your replies :)

It looks Like he's going thru a spurt and he's feed every 2 and a bit hours!! It means I have to make his bottles in advance as he screams the place down!
I've never really done that before and as he seems fine taking them I think I'll take keep preparing in advance when I can.

We've not been out much over the past few days, so he's been feeding easily, but I think I'll take all of your advice and wake him after 3.5 hrs or so until He starts doing it himself!!

Xxxxxxxxx

Bless you BB...LEAPs / growth spurts are so tough. JJ is in nearing the end of his third LEAP at the moment.

I have been preparing bottles in advance for quite a few weeks now...it's so much easier. Were you making them fresh each time? I know opinions vary GREATLY on this subject - and there is no right or wrong answer...but in my opinion, as long as the formula is initially mixed with boiling water to kill the bacteria / cooled down before putting a fridge - and all bottles are used within 12 hours...you cant really go wrong. To re-iterate though - this is just my opinion and I am not saying I am right lol...don't want to get flamed...

Hope little Trey is getting on ok now...he is SO gorgeous :love: xxx

^ I've heard people say as long as they're gone within 48 hours.

I'm just, in a routine myself, really... Put Cay to bed, wash and sterilise bottles whilst water's boiling, make bottles after 30 mins boiled. Then around an hour later (once they've cooled) I put tomorrow's in the fridge, and take his 6am up with me.

I used to put his 6am bottle in a bag-thing, but stopped doing that a few weeks back, so that bottle just sits at the end of his cot. (In the heat, no, but we have an air con unit).

Actually, I remember making his middle-of-the-night bottle when he needed it, that's how I found out he could drop a feed. He woke around 1am, I took his bottle of hot water out of the bag-thing and dumped the pre-portioned powder in, and it was still too hot, so I shot into the bathroom to cool it under the tap, and by the time I came back, he'd gone back to sleep.
Next night when he woke, I dumped a dummy in instead, then he didn't even bother waking the following night.

Good times xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back