How do you fight the constant hunger?

tborreg1

Reaction score
This is going to be extremely weird. I am not pregnant, but i am on medication that causes extreme hunger (megestrol). After a google search i found out pregnant women have high levels of progesterone.

Does anyone have tips on how to fight the constant hungry feeling? I have gained 65 lbs and i am miserable. Just this morning i broke down and just wanted to feel full for one moment. its this constant empty, painful feeling in my stomach. I just want it go to away. I'm exercising and focusing on healthy foods. But i spend every moment of the day hungry, unless i overeat.

I hope this question isnt too weird!

Perhaps try drinking lots of water? Or if you have to eat a huge amount of food, what about a really large salad? Veggies? Low sugar fruits?

Perhaps try drinking lots of water? Or if you have to eat a huge amount of food, what about a really large salad? Veggies? Low sugar fruits?

For lunch i have chicken with a huge portion of broccoli (which i love) an hour later i am hungry. :shock: I also drink lots of water. Its really strange, i dont feel full often. The only food that makes me feel full for hours is if i eat a steak with my veggys. But i cant do that everyday with all the calories it has.

Chug a lot of water (like 1L before a meal) and chew gum when you're feeling snacky. Also find things to keep your mind/hands busy so you're not as focused on the hunger. When you do eat, focus on things like porridge that are slow to release energy. Veggies take no time to digest, you need protein and low-GI carbs to keep your belly full for longer.

Maybe take some protein shakes to make you feel fuller? When I was pregnant, exercised and had to avoid carbs due to gestational diabetes, I ate lots of proteins and veggies and kept carbs low. Not too low though since not all carbs are bad, you still need some fibers to be able to go to the restroom. Instead of snacking at around 4pm, I would sometimes take a protein shake to avoid snacking on bad carbs.x

I'd say all of the above, plus you probably need to try and get a lot of exercise in if you're able to so you're burning off calories. To lose weight you just need to be in a calorie deficit, but your situation is a bit different. I can only speak for myself and I am not an expert and would suggest speaking with a nutritionist or something similar to make sure whatever you're doing is safe

Get your GP to refer you to a dietician.

Some ideas that might help,

-keep healthy snacks like fruit, nuts, vegetable sticks and hummus handy so when you are hungry you are choosing healthier and lower calorie options. These options are also more filling.
-drink plenty of fluids (as long as you do not have a fluid restriction). Sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger and what you actually need is a glass of water.
-water should be your drink of choice as it has no calories. Avoid sugary drinks like juice and switch to low fat dairy.
-Try to exercise every day. Strength training is particularly useful in controlling weight.

I have been really struggling with hunger and then overly snacking on rubbish recently. Keeping busy so I'm not thinking about food all the time has helped me. Also making sure to start the day with a healthy filling brekky (avocardo on wholemeal toast). I need to do a bit better in the afternoons when i get home and raid the fridge and go overboard on crappy food. Ive been thinking about pre making a healthy dinner and eating it straight after work or maybe going straight outside for a walk instead of snacking and looking at my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back