How do baby groups work?

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
There is one tomorrow I was thinking of going to!

Give me courage ladies!

How do they work? Do u just walk in and say hi? What do u say to people?

When i went for the first time i had to fill out a form with mine and oh details and that was it! They showed me the fire exacts as part of safety! Then ot was free play the first hour, snack time, and then songs and books! Lo loves going. Its good to talk to other mums too! Hes usually exhausted by the time we get home and always goes to bed early on the days we go! :)

once you see all the other babies there will be always something to talk about! i find the easiest way to start talking is 'what is your little one's name?' then 'how old?' everyone with babies is very friendly!!

i generally find myself making sure that emma isn't tugging on other babies hair or chewing their feet - i miss the days when they couldn't move around!

I went to one this week for the first time and found it really friendly. It was called baby movers so was all singing with some massage, Elizabeth slept through it being 2 weeks old but I enjoyed it!!

I turned up, filled a form out as it was the first time and sat and chatted to other mums.

I will talk to anyone and happy to strike up convo with people I don't know which helps at these things.

You should go for it, you don't need to go again if you don't like it.

Like the others have said you all have something in common babies! so its easy to start conversation. i've been going to different groups since Tegan was 3 months & we both enjoy it (she's now 16 months) met lots of lovely people too. go for it & enjoy yourself! x

I think I'm going to play it by ear tomorrow. If we are up and ready by 10am then we'll go. If not we'll go next week. I know it's there now and I've begun getting up and about so I've got no worries about getting there iykwim?

I get shy with things like this lol.

If they charge (I don't know if they do or not) do I offer money or wait for them to ask? Would it be at the start or end?

I was very nervous first time i went, still am sometimes with new groups. the ones at my surestart centre charge £1 which we just give when we sign in, the one at baptist church is 'donation' so when i get my Cuppa & Tegans biscuit i usually pop £1 in the tub xx

I'm really shy, gonna take Lewy to baby massage at least then if I don't make friend I'll be busy doing something and it wont matter he's too young to play.

I really want to go to a group, only one in town that I can go to, the other is a young mums group (25 or under). But I can be very shy around new people. Not so bad now after so many strangers have seen everything there is to see lol. I just want to make a few new friends, but scared I won't fit in. Nice to see how you all go about it. Doesn't sound so scary now x

top tip for other shy mums- try to make sure you go every week, and be regular to a day eg I go wed and friday to the same one, as different mums to different groups, otherwise it can feel like your startign again each week if your not regular. I sound a bit like a stalker, but after 4 kids and getting them off to school with correct clubs instruments homework etc in the morning- I have a terrible memory for names!, there is just no more room up there!! I feel silly keep asking the same , whats your name question each week!!, so I will take two names eg mum and baby and try to remember them , and once on way home, out a memo on my phone, called friday group, I add to this each week, with maybee a small description to help me remember which one they are, eg skinney ginger mum with blonde boy - and so before I turn up the next week I have a quick peek and remind myself of a few names, really good to be able to say hello Sofia etc , breaks the ice! (slowly info is stickuing now as I know them more!

Last edited:
Deffo go pinky....they are normally really relaxed and fun. Fin slept through all the songs we sang but I sang them to him and learnt new songs to sing to him at home. It's so nice being with other mums and babbies....does me good everytime I go there. Everyone was new once and if u go once a week regularly the ladies will soon get to know you xxxx

Did you go pinky? I go to two, one of them I go with a friend but we make sure we talk to other people and the other I didn't know anyone but do now!

Oh and for both we pay as we go in. £1.59 for one and £2 for the other. Includes a cuppa!

£1.59 is a strange amount!!

No I didn't go. Tyler was asleep until 7.40. I was awake but I didn't wanna get in the shower just incase he woke up iykwim? Gonna be organised and defo go next week!

I've been putting off going to baby groups - being that bit older I'm worried that I'll be the oldest there and the oddone out.

And I am dreadfully shy amongst new groups.

I've been putting off going to baby groups - being that bit older I'm worried that I'll be the oldest there and the oddone out.

And I am dreadfully shy amongst new groups.

I feel like I'd be the youngest because I'm 23

I've just turned 24 and I'm quite obviously the youngest! Even at clinic I'm always the youngest! It uses to really get to me but now I just think sod it lol.

I go to stay and play now. I only went to one or two baby groups because I just felt a bit awkward. Now because Paige is older it doesn't matter if I'm awkward because I can just chase her round the room!

I felt awkward because im a young mum (21) theres a few other young Mums but also allot of older Mums late 30s early 40s.
cazza i notice your from norfolk x

Yep ZMD another Norfolk PFer!!

Hmmm perhaps I'll be brave and go next week maybe I won't be the oldest mother in town!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back