How did you meet your partner?

Sparklegirl

Reaction score
On a light note for a Sunday night- where or how did you meet your husband/wife/partner?

My story: I had found a new forum in July 2011 and there was someone on there who was popular but he was arrogant with it, he was fit and he knew it. I hate that trait in a man, I like someone who is quiet and gentle but that was ok because he was a smoker which I refused to go for an he lived 9 hours away form me so it was all academic really. I was happy to stare at his pretty pictures as I was sure he was seeing someone from the forum already so I sat back and didnt do anything.

After a little while he replied to a comment I had made, correcting a 'spelling mistake' of mine and I was livid at this. I have particularly long nails- all my own- so I tend to include numbers or odd letters because I have posted it quicker than I have checked it so that went down like a cup of cold sick with me! I was fuming with him and really made no bones about the fact that he was an arrogant know it all turd and I had no intention of communicating with him again thank you very much.

He would reply to my comments and eventually sent a friends request on there and I was staunchly refusing to accept- he was not my type of person so why would I want to be friends with him?! That pricked my conscience because I had asked someone to be my friend and he refused which hurt my feelings and I didnt want to do that to someone else so I accepted his request against my better judgement. He began to send me visitor messages on my public wall then he would graduate to PMs and we began to talk every day. Urghh how was I beginning to think that he was not too bad? It had taken him 3 months to break me, I was beginning to like him

I quickly learned that he was a mild mannered bloke who was the total opposite to the one he showed on the forum who was a complete moronic cretin whom I would not have given the time of day to had he been like that in real life. We talked on MSN constantly and he asked for my mobile number and that night asked if it was too soon to want to talk on the phone that night. I have a major hang up about my accent because people think we sound thick because of where I am from and I hate trying to repeat myself which is always worse on the phone. So it took me a long time to finally pluck up the courage but I finally did it and it was fine!

We decided on 26th October 2011 that we would look at giving things a go together long distance, 4 weeks later to the day on 23rd November he came to visit. We booked him into a local B&B for 5 nights

People warned me it was a bad idea not knowing him properly and he might be a mass murderer or he might not turn up at all or we might not get on. Of course all of which had a possibility about them however slim but I had to go for it, I did not want to have a regret- what if he was going to be the man that I would marry and have children with but I cut all that dead by refusing to meet him? I had to go, so I did. We met in the train station and I took him to where he was staying.

By the time he was settled into the B&B, I had made him a curry at home so brought him to mine and we stayed up talking until 2am when I took him back there. Those 8 hours had passed in the blink of an eye and I missed him when I dropped him off. He was quite old school gentlemany- he stood on the doorstep waiting for me to drive off and asked me to text him so he knew that I was home safely. He said how he was missing me and couldn't wait until tomorrow to see me again. The following day he met my dad and we went off and did our own thing, my dad liked him because he was respectful and reserved even if he didn't say much to him- so shy

It was awful when it was time for him to go home but 8 months into the relationship I visited his family staying with them and when I returned home I brought him with me. He moved in and it didnt take too long for him to give up smoking, he chose it was the right time and after a hiccup he was successful. On our 18 month anniversary he proposed with a Haribo jelly ring- he bought me my diamond ring the following day so I could chose it. He asked my dad's permission to marry me and took the proper ring to my parents and he got down on one knee in front of them both. We got married a year to the day of the Haribo proposal and we have been married for 2 years now.

That was then, now we are TTC our first baby. What a long time ago it all seems but it was nice looking back on the start of it all and he is still as shy with people other then me

Last edited:
aw what a nice story! good job you didn't continue to believe his bravado online or you'd probably have never given him a chance!

my story isn't really super exciting. I went to a traffic light party with my best friend when I was 19. I was in red as I had a boyfriend (who was a jerk), my besti was also in red and her boyfriend was there and he introduced me to his brother who was in green. I ended up dancing with him all night and we really hit it off. I gave him my number which I would never have normally done but I knew he was special.

he then went travelling for 6 months during which time I chucked my cheating boyfriend and chatted online to Mr green the whole time he was away and we started dating when he got back.

6 years later we've lived together 4 years and have a 1 year old

aw what a nice story! good job you didn't continue to believe his bravado online or you'd probably have never given him a chance!

my story isn't really super exciting. I went to a traffic light party with my best friend when I was 19. I was in red as I had a boyfriend (who was a jerk), my besti was also in red and her boyfriend was there and he introduced me to his brother who was in green. I ended up dancing with him all night and we really hit it off. I gave him my number which I would never have normally done but I knew he was special.

he then went travelling for 6 months during which time I chucked my cheating boyfriend and chatted online to Mr green the whole time he was away and we started dating when he got back.

6 years later we've lived together 4 years and have a 1 year old

That is so cute! I love to hear stories about how people met. Imagine if you had not gone to the party how different things could have been. Some things are meant to be

Awww that's a nice story Sparklegirl. You two sound perfect for each other:)

Awww that's a nice story Sparklegirl. You two sound perfect for each other:)

Thank you :D I am hoping so very much that we get to have a baby, that would be the icing on the cake for us. How about you, a story to share?

Aww these are lovely.

I was friends with my husband from we were kids. Not close friends but mates for years. He asked me out every summer from I was 12-15 I said no every time, I had zero interest. Hadnt really spoken to him in about a year just with studying and everything, we got talking again because my friend was interested in him but i dunno guess we had changed he asked me out again at 16 and I finally said yes lol. Hr asked me go marry him the same year wben we were 17 and i said no we had to wait lol. Now weve been together 10 years, married for 3 and now im pregnant with our first!

Aww these are lovely.

I was friends with my husband from we were kids. Not close friends but mates for years. He asked me out every summer from I was 12-15 I said no every time, I had zero interest. Hadnt really spoken to him in about a year just with studying and everything, we got talking again because my friend was interested in him but i dunno guess we had changed he asked me out again at 16 and I finally said yes lol. Hr asked me go marry him the same year wben we were 17 and i said no we had to wait lol. Now weve been together 10 years, married for 3 and now im pregnant with our first!

~Awwww thats adorable! He must have been keen! A proper tale of childhood sweethearts (of a sort!) Proposed to at 17, that is so lovely but even better is the fact that you waited and look how well it turned out! I hope the pregnancy is going well

Me and my partner met on plenty of fish haha.
I was a single mum to my daughter who was 15 months so didn't get out much. We decided to go for a drink and he dropped me home.
I live in kent and him in essex. Things became more regular and we're finally moving in with him in essex next weekend. Been together nearly 3 years x

Me and my partner met on plenty of fish haha.
I was a single mum to my daughter who was 15 months so didn't get out much. We decided to go for a drink and he dropped me home.
I live in kent and him in essex. Things became more regular and we're finally moving in with him in essex next weekend. Been together nearly 3 years x

I tried PoF and met 2 blokes... one was a total disaster he didnt speak hahah. Its nice to hear of positive outcomes from websites like that though. I love hearing where people met :)

I met hubby on okcupid aha :blush: he was so sweet though, tried his hardest to keep talking to me :p xx

I met hubby on okcupid aha :blush: he was so sweet though, tried his hardest to keep talking to me :p xx

Awww. My husband tried hard to get me to talk to him at first and I really was not having any of it on the forum lol. I am an old romantic at heart and love hearing stories of other people xx

Met my soon to be husband in the gym! He was friends with my friends husband and the pair of them always used to give me a hard time when I was training. One day he asked his friend who I was and he introduced us and that was it! None of the girls would then talk to me in the gym because they all fancied him! Including one married woman who still messaged him daily on Facebook for 2 months afterwards- he never responded to her once! We moved in together after 6 weeks & we will be together 4 years in October and have spent less than a week apart in that time 🙈 He's my best friend- but he drives me up the blinking wall!!

Met my soon to be husband in the gym! He was friends with my friends husband and the pair of them always used to give me a hard time when I was training. One day he asked his friend who I was and he introduced us and that was it! None of the girls would then talk to me in the gym because they all fancied him! Including one married woman who still messaged him daily on Facebook for 2 months afterwards- he never responded to her once! We moved in together after 6 weeks & we will be together 4 years in October and have spent less than a week apart in that time 🙈 He's my best friend- but he drives me up the blinking wall!!

Eeeek I love this story!!! What a troll that woman was to be messaging him like that! he sounds like a total stunner though ;) I love when people just know and decide early on its what they want. I have been with my husband 5 years in November and people didnt think it would last because he was a stranger. So cute that he is your best friend- it goes with the territory that he drives you up the wall though!

Eeeek I love this story!!! What a troll that woman was to be messaging him like that! he sounds like a total stunner though ;) I love when people just know and decide early on its what they want. I have been with my husband 5 years in November and people didnt think it would last because he was a stranger. So cute that he is your best friend- it goes with the territory that he drives you up the wall though!

Haha, he is! It used to make me laugh because she wouldn't talk to me when we started dating & then she tried to be abit pally with me & I knew she was messaging him! He does get a lot of female attention even now- I have learnt to laugh! It used to worry me in the beginning! I know he wouldn't do anything anyway- & the luxury would soon wear off! He's pretty grumpy, snores like a trooper, spends sooo much time infront of the mirror & can't pick his boxers up off the floor- but I don't mind!!
We knew straight away! Even now when he annoys me I think to myself "I can't imagine you not being here to annoy me every day!" No one thought we'd last. There's a big age gap between us, my mum wouldn't speak to him for a year. But they where all wrong! When you know, you know 😘

Haha, he is! It used to make me laugh because she wouldn't talk to me when we started dating & then she tried to be abit pally with me & I knew she was messaging him! He does get a lot of female attention even now- I have learnt to laugh! It used to worry me in the beginning! I know he wouldn't do anything anyway- & the luxury would soon wear off! He's pretty grumpy, snores like a trooper, spends sooo much time infront of the mirror & can't pick his boxers up off the floor- but I don't mind!!
We knew straight away! Even now when he annoys me I think to myself "I can't imagine you not being here to annoy me every day!" No one thought we'd last. There's a big age gap between us, my mum wouldn't speak to him for a year. But they where all wrong! When you know, you know 😘

That sounds lovely! My husband snores like a pig with respiratory problems but he is not a drop dead gorgeous hunk. I wouldnt want to be without him but its not great that he works permanent nights so we hardly see each other. Makes BDing hard!

What a lovely thread idea. I love reading things like this!

I met my hubby when I was 16. I went on holiday to lanzarote with my family, very last minute, I wasn't planning on going. I was out with friends I'd met, rather drunk and started speaking to a guy when I realised he had the same accent as me :lol: turns out he lived there so although we spent the week together, we weren't thinking it would lead anywhere - I thought I was just one of a long list of girls to him, a 21 year old good looking guy living abroad :lol: so I came home and we kept in touch then one day he text me saying 'I've moved back home, can I come see you?'.. 12 years after first meeting in lanzarote we're married and have an almost 8 year old, hoping number 2 will be just around the corner :) xxx

Last edited:
What a lovely thread idea. I love reading things like this!

I met my hubby when I was 16. I went on holiday to lanzarote with my family, very last minute, I wasn't planning on going. I was out with friends I'd met, rather drunk and started speaking to a guy when I realised he had the same accent as me :lol: turns out he lived there so although we spent the week together, we weren't thinking it would lead anywhere. I came home and we kept in touch then one day he text me saying 'I've moved back home, can I come see you?'.. 12 years after first meeting we're married and have an almost 8 year old, hoping number 2 will be just around the corner :) xxx

This is beautiful! I had friends at uni who met this sort of way too. Cant help my romantic side so had to start this thread lol. Imagine if you had not gone on that holiday or if he never moved back home (please tell me you were his reason for it!!) How lovely meeting in such a way, it must be quite a distinctive accent? Fx for #2 xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back