How can you tell how far laong you are?

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by Nikki2003, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Nikki2003

Nikki2003 Well-Known Member

Hey I was just wondering how people at clinics can tell how far along you are...I went there the other day because I didn't have any insurance which I have insurance now thank goodness, you know how scary it is knowing you're pregnant without any insurance? Anyways the girl took this round paper thing and asked when my last period was and when I told her 4/25 she goes oh so you're due date's 1/29/06 because you conceived on 5/10...maybe I'm wrong but thought wow I'm 5 weeks pregnant already when I just conceived on 5/10? You would think that since my baby was conceive on 5/10 that 6/10 would be 1 month pregnant but guess they know what they're talking about...maybe when I go to y gyno appt. next wednesday I'll ask them.

2. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Hi

They calculate the due date from that date of your last period. They know on average when you concieved because most women ovulate around 14 days before their next period, and you can only conceive around the time of ovulation. So the average woman with a 28 day cycle will ovulate on day 14. Because they go by the date of your last period, you are always 2 weeks more pregnant than you really are if that makes sense!! They can be a few days out if you have a very long or very short cycle.

Hope this helped and didnt confuse you more.

By the way you are in the TTC area, you might be better moving to one of the pregnancy boards??

3. joan

joan Well-Known Member

This all means is that you can be two weeks pregnant when you first meet the baby's dad!

(if you see what I mean)

4. Nikki2003

Nikki2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah I get it now thanks to both of you girls....