how can i improve my reading skills?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Riley's Mommy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Riley's Mommy

Riley's Mommy Well-Known Member

as title says really.

i want to be able to comprehend more of what im reading.

any thoughts?

2. libs

libs Well-Known Member

do you mean you need help with basic reading skills or you want to improve your vocabulary and comprehension skills?

3. trigger

trigger Well-Known Member

You could join adult education classes most areas have free ones where you just go for 1 night a week, or a bit of a simpler option would be maybe to start from scratch so to speak and start reading younger books that are meant to help you to read, like early teenage perhaps? / :)

4. Riley's Mommy

Riley's Mommy Well-Known Member

i love reading, but i feel that i sometimes dont take in as much as other people. its hard to explain really. and sometimes end up re-reading sentances a few times. :wall:

5. libs

libs Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much - most people do that

and you have a tiny baby - I think I spent years reading everything twice :wink:

I would say that you need to build up your concentration skills rather than reading skills. Do you drift off when you're reading? You could be tired or thinking about other things.

One way is to think about each paragraph and put it into your own words as you read. And keep a dictionary handy when reading and look up each word you don't really know the meaning of.

I once got half way through a book and wondered who one of the characters was - reading back they had been the main character all the way through - I obviously hadn't took it in, but I have the opposite problem where I scan read everything

6. trigger

trigger Well-Known Member

I am forever reading pages and then thinking, what the hell is going on as I tend to scan more than read, I really have to concentrate if I want to absorp the info. DH thinks I am a demon speed reader but really I am only taking in about 60% of the book....must try harder!

7. Tangerinedream

Tangerinedream Well-Known Member

God, im forever doing that :wall:

8. Tillytots

Tillytots Well-Known Member

as libs said its definately a concentration thing rather than reading skills. If my mind isnt on what Im reading or I am distracted by anything I can go over and over the same page for ages or read a whole chapter and think erm....what exactly was that all about :think: If I do this then I put down whatever it is Im trying to read and come back to it later

x