how big is the age gap of your children?

Beckyb1991

Reaction score
Hi mummys

Me and ooh are considering trying for another baby towards the end of the year as it look 2 and a half years to fall pregnant with our 8 month old. Just wanted toknow what you L/Os age gap is and what you find easy and difficult xxx

We have 2 years 9 months between ours and it's been quite difficult. She understood the concept of a new baby well but when I went into labour and she couldn't see me for a few days and didn't know when I was going to be home again she didn't cope very well with it. It's taken a good 6 weeks for her to start bonding and loving her little sister but things are getting easier!

2 years 5 months between ours, also difficult! But, i'm hoping once the eldest goes to school it'll settle and eventually be a nice age difference. To start with though it is very full on!

14 months between my two and I think, from what a lot of people have said to me, it's an easier age gap than a bigger one. Or I'm blessed with an easy toddler! It's difficult that my toddler doesn't understand why I have to sort out the baby before him but he's easily diverted and has started getting into sitting and watching tv/films so invested in Sky Movies!! What I find most difficult is my baby has a lot of feeding issues which causes problems in every other aspect of his little life, so I would say that aspect is harder than the age gap.

2 years and 1 day. Having a 2 year gap is lovely. My son is nearly 6 months and daughter is 2.5 years. It is hard being pregnant and running about after a toddler tho xx

I have an age gap of 22 months and it was hard work. And still is. but tbh i dont think i would change it yeno. Im currently potty training my eldest and sleep training my youngest which is draining.

That all being said im sure it wil be mental when i go back to work next month.

I'm expecting baby number two in August.

My little boy will have just turned 4 when baby arrives.

XX

I have 3 years, 11 months between my first 2. It took that long for us to conceive. My son is very loving towards his little sister and the age gap is lovely ^-^ They're young enough to play together but he's old enough to understand.

I'll have 14 months between my 2nd & 3rd. Currently 27 weeks. and this is hard work. Son (now 4) started school, baby (now 11m) and an exhausting pregnancy is very challenging. I'd find it hard to manage my time well without help from my husband!

21 months between mine and it has been difficult at times, but eldest (almost 4) is potty trained and we're about to start with our youngest (2) and so we're very quickly out of nappies. Bottles already gone, tantrums still here. They're very close and play reasonably well given that very young children don't really know how to share! I'm happy that I've had two close together but it is hard work!

I have the same problem as you as it took us 18months to conceive but I had fertility treatment and I don't know whether I will qualify for it again. In an ideal world I think if want 3yrs as eldest would be at nursery and at school when youngest was potty training .

If I can find where I put my left over medication I'm sure it expires later this y at which is a bit daunting!c

2 years 2 months between mine. It took us 11 months to conceive first so we thought it would take a while second time. We were wrong! It's been tough at times but now littlest one is 7 months it's lovely. She adores her brother and he likes playing with her now as she reacts to him. He can distract her if I need to get on with anything. Like
Someone else mentioned when I was In labour it was hard for him as he was taken to my parents house early in the morning and didn't see me till the next day in hospital with this little baby that everyone has been telling him about for months!

2 years and 2 months for us too and it's been hard.

James hit terrible 2's just before baby arrived and he has just got more and more feisty (I think we were spoilt as he was such an easy baby). Bee was quite a 'high needs' baby and I didn't get a moments respite in the first few months. Thankfully my OH had extended paternity leave so he could help as James was quite sidelined (I breast feed Bee and some days she wouldn't be off the boob when she was weeny).

They are 3 and 1 now and it's lovely to see the beginnings of a relationship - although there is a lot of pushing / shoving / annoyances.

A few upisdes of our gap is that James was able to use buggy board so we didn't need a double pram, he was well settled with sleep so he wasn't disturbed by our non sleeping newborn and he was old enough to understand what was going on for the most part. He'd understand he needed to wait for xyz. He was also happy to be involved - he 'helps' me and always had done.

Hardest thing was if they both needed me at once. It was a constant judgement call who I went to first in any given situation. Sometimes Bee had to cry and sometimes James had to wait.

X

There will be 2 years between my little boy and his little sister. Obviously can't say what will be difficult but I am hoping that because he understands abit about babies and can help me when I ask him to bring me things that it will help with some of the problems.

I found being pregnant with a toddler very draining, I had morning sickness this time round which lasted until 17 weeks - now that I am big and awkward with my bump I'm finding it tough keeping up with him. It makes me out of breath at times particularly trying to run after a bolting toddler!! But at the same time it's great.

There will be almost 7 years between my boy and expectant baby. I'm concerned as although not spoilt, he has been an only child for over 6 years already.....
Currently he doesn't know yet, waiting until 12 weeks to explain he will be getting a brother or sister later in the year.

Any advice or experiences on such a big gap hugely welcome.

22 months between my girls. The first 3 months were hideous but now it's getting so much better. To see them playing and laughing together is the best thing!

2 years 5 months - it's so hard! Hoping it gets easier?! xxx

I had 2yrs 6 months between my first two and it was really hard. The two yr old was not old enough to understand having to share me and was not as independent as I thought they'd be by then.

I think a very small gap or a gap over 3.5yrs is best. If the gap is very small, (like under 18m) the baby/toddler knows no different and just gets used to the younger sibling being there by the time they are at the age of jealousy. Plus by that time the younger baby is not a newborn anymore so is less demanding (that's my theory anyway).
If the gap is bigger like over 3yrs the older child seems more likely to dote on the baby and is that bit more independent and can handle the change better.

This time my youngest is 9 and by the time baby number 3 is here I'll have a 9yr old (nearly 10) and a 12yr old!
Slightly bigger than I'd have planned (LOL!) but I do think it has its advantages. They are able to occupy themselves and can make themselves snacks, breakfast & sandwiches etc when I've been busy or not felt up to it (with nausea or tiredness lol), and my 11yr old will go to the shop for me if we need something, they are definitely a big help at this age.

16months between my 2. Like people have said it's very hard at 1st but almost 7 months in an it's alot easier. And the bond between them melts my heart. My yongest adores his brother. X

I've got 5 years between mine, not planned that way, but we feel lucky now it worked out that way. The older one was pretty self sufficient when baby arrived, no jealousy issues and he loved his little bro from day 1. He started school just a few weeks after his brother was born so that made life a lot easier for me in the beginning. Now at 6 and 18 months they love each other to bits and do 'play' despite the big age gap. I'm not sure I could have coped with 2 little ones as I'm not the most patiet person! X

We've got 2 and a half years between the first two. I thought that was hard, but then we had a third and there's a 4 and a half year gap between my 2nd and 3rd and this is so much harder. My youngest is almost 2 now so I guess I'm looking at it more long term. I definitely think having kids closer together is a good idea. Having a new baby, and having to get kids to and from school, and all the extra activities and homework didn't cross my mind when we decided on a third.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back