How are those of you who work coping?

Mildly

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering how people are finding working and being pregnant? I am on my second day off in a row as I just feel so exhausted. I'm really hoping that I can pull myself together soon as I work at a desk mostly so it isn't as if I do strenuous stuff during the day. I'm finding that I am coming home from work and often falling asleep on the sofa during the evening and then going to bed early as well - I can't work out why I feel so tired in the mornings too!

The other worrying thing is I haven't even started getting morning sickness and I have no idea how I'm going to cope if that kicks in as well. Does anyone have any coping strategies?

Also I don't often take days off sick and I am starting to feel guilty at the prospect of possibly needing to take time off through first tri if my exhaustion carries on.

Work is one big drag at the moment…I have an hour tube journey each way and that’s the worst part, I have to take diet coke with me to help the nausea. I always get a seat in the mornings as we’re at the end of the line but not always in the evenings :( ……..Actually being at work is not tooooo bad as I just sit in an office but by 3pm I’ve had enough and really want to go home! Also hormones mean that colleagues and boss are really irritating me and I’m becoming a bit snappy!

I just keep remembering smugly that I only have 6 months left…… x

I had to have days off last time as i was so tired. Naps in the afternoon are good, i used to get in from work have a sleep then get up and start dinner. I all can say is if you need to lay down for a bit do it and hopefully the tirdness wont last too much longer

Its because your body is doing the job of the placenta in these weeks. That's what makes you so tired. You are pumping blood round your body far more than usual and so its draining. Everything is going to baby settling in.

I suffered really badly in my first tri and all I can suggest is eat well, sleep when you need to and don't be afraid to go to bed at 8pm and sleep till the alarm goes off.

If you cannot sleep for longer periods during the day is there anywhere you can go take a nap in your lunchbreak? Even 45 minutes of snooze time is better than nothing. I'd go nap in the car or some such if need be. You'd be surprised at how much it can perk you up, just having that catnap.

im ok but in the mornings i feel a bit sick (although not been sick yet!) and whilst at work (even though im sat at a computer on a chair all day!) i am feeling very tired like i could fall asleep at any time. i am also getting really bad headaches that last all day and im just not hungry at all and cant bring myself to eat lunch!

Last time around I had really understanding employers and there was the odd occasion when I would fall asleep under my desk if we weren't too busy. I also worked about 5 mins from home and sometimes my boss would let me pop home for a nap. He figured it was better to loose me for a few hours whilst he held the fort rather than me stay home for an entire day. His partner had just been through a really difficult pregnancy, (she was also a partner in the firm) so he was really good to me.

Now I'm self employed as a childminder. Have just had quite a challenging day with kids arriving at 7am and I'll still be working at 6 and then taking my son to Judo... Have just put the one year old I look after to bed so I'm going to have a nifty nap before the school run.

For the nausea, I found drinking before I got thirsty was helpful as was eating small amounts regularly and staying away from stodge. Having something to light to eat before I went to bed really helped with feeling ill in the morning.

I'm nearly 11 weeks now and the symptoms have eased back considerably, so hopefully they will for you too! Things get usually easier in the second trimester for a while at least :dance:

Biggest problem I'm having is the lack of motivation to do anything at work! I've got a really bad back so this is distracting plus I keep looking at different websites!
I'm so tired in the mornings and in the evenings so I have a nap in my lunch hour- I'm lucky cos I can close my door and hide but would even sleep in a cupboard if I had to as I get that tired!
Also have major issues with my commute- I knew I would and did try to switch locations in preparation but wasn't able to. Its ok in the morning as I generally get a seat but I was crying my eyes out on Monday on the tube in full view of all as my back was killing me and I was too embarassed to ask for a seat- I'm sure I'll be more forthcoming once I look pregnant rather than just overweight!

felt so sick at work yesturday and nearly fainted, so i went and sat in the office, and had to tell the assistant manager im pregnant. eugh i hate work

Thanks for all the replies girls, I don't feel so freakish now :D I'm going to tell my boss on Monday so will hopefully get a bit more support. I'll have to look for somewhere to go and get a lunchtime sleep, unfortunately my car is normally in the front car park and I suspect the kids walking past would try and wake me up :evil:

It must be horrible for all you with a train commute, I would hate that! Thanks for all the tips from those who are a bit further along, hopefully the tiredness will fade soon :hug:

I am finding work hard at the moment hun. I am tired and have a constant headache. Last time I could sleep when I needed too - but it's harder with a LO as I get in from work and he wants me to play and occupy him. By 9pm I am dead on my feet and need my bed. Jacob doesn't sleep through the night so i am up with him and so in the morning I feel just as wrecked. Thankfully I only work 4 days so I am off tomorrow for the weekend :cheer:

Xxx

Hiya,

This may not work for you but I found drinking peppermint tea in the afternoon keeps me going. I also have a 20 min snooze or at least put my feet up when i get in.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

I struggled with work during 1st tri - I was off a few times and in hospital once.

Don't feel guilty about being off - your health is more important

Duvet days are needed!

I've coped with work fine to be honest! I'd rather be doing something than sat around. If anything I am guilty of doing too much. I take sugar free polos to keep nausea at bay!

Its only early days yet so things are fine so far, very very tired amd mucusy but fine apart from that.

Although very nervous about the upcoming months as i know with my last pregnancy (although it didnt work out) I was very very unwell but i was contracting from home so it didnt matter.

IM really really hoping i dont get too ill, thank god i found out recently that we have a disabled loo so if i ned to vom ill go there but im wondering if it will be a bit obvious, i think if its really bad i could blag and say i have food poisoning and ok to stay at work but not continuesly,.,

Not sure what you do Mildly, but you mention kids, do you work in a school?

I am a secondary teacher and found the first Tri and first part of second Tri very difficult indeed. It's not like you can take a break if you feel sick or dizzy, you're in that room for an hour whether you like it or not and teaching is exhausting at the best of times!

Things that helped me included drinking half a pint of water first thing in the morning (slowly so I wasn't sick) on the sofa and relaxing before starting the day, then eating little and often. I still felt rough most of the time (and have days where I do even now). Tiredness makes it SO MUCH worse so make sure you nap when you can, perhaps when you get back from work?

I know it's a rough time and I'm glad I'm (mostly) through it - but it will pass.

Best of luck xxx

Hey x im 10 week sgone and i am shattered also. I find by 1pm i need to sleep but cant then by time i get home i cant sleep as over tired!!! Struggle to carry on at the mo! xx

Ive heardit gets better though??? Hopefully! x

i'm the same, could sleep all afternoon, but am having difficulty at night!

struggling at work at the mo, lots of additional stress as i'm going through a review of my job (well 17 months into the bloody thing :shock: ) Having to involve the union and am hoping they can take some of the stress off me, in a catch 22, dont want my work to continue to treat me like shit, but am afraid that the stress might lead to a misscarriage. :cry:

Hey Sparky, don't let work stress you out that much!

If things get really bad see your GP and get signed off for a bit to give you some recovery time off. There's no shame in it and it'll stop you frazzling yourself.

As for stress causing a M/C, if it did my baby would have had no chance in my job!!!!!! She's well and healthy though (touch wood she'll stay that way) and seems totally unaffected by my stress levels, so try not to worry about that too or you'll end up a nervous wreck :hug:

Im having a few probs at work lately.. Few people looking at me weird and i think talking behind my back
Ive not long been at the job and didnt know i was pg b4 i started.
Ive told my boss and hes really cool about it.. but part of my job is lifting boxes and as im only 9 weeks i have 2 ask people 2 lift them for me. so i feel really bad about it.
Ive also been told im not intitaled 2 maternity pay so im scared im gonna be skint with a new baby to look after.

Its stressing me out and thats another thing im not aloud 2 do

any one got any ideas?
rach
xx

Muggles said:
Ive also been told im not intitaled 2 maternity pay so im scared im gonna be skint with a new baby to look after.

Hmmm, I think you are. Even if you've changed jobs, I'm guessing you've been in regular employment.

Maybe you can't claim it from the company you work for, but chances are via Gov SMA claimed via the Jobcentre

Snippet of info for you

Maternity Allowance

Women who do not qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay may qualify for Maternity Allowance. This is paid by JobCentre Plus and is based on the woman's recent employment and earnings record.
Qualifying conditions
For employed women who do not qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay, the self-employed and recently employed
A woman must have been employed or self-employed on at least 26 weeks of the 66 weeks ending with the week before the expected week of childbirth (the test period)
She must also earn at least £30 per week on average.
Levels and length of payment
Paid for a maximum of 26 weeks at a flat rate of £108.85 or 90 per cent of her average weekly earnings if that is less than the flat rate

Full details of the Statutory Maternity Pay and Maternity Allowance schemes can be found in the leaflet N17A (which is available from the DWP website: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/ni17a

Just because work has told you you don't qualify, but you might yet. Depends how long you have been there by a certain point in your pregnancy. Info on SMP

Qualifying conditions
She must work for someone who is liable (or would be liable but for low earnings) to pay the employer's share of her Class 1 National Insurance contributions.
She must have 26 weeks' continuous service with her employer into the 15th week before the week her baby is due. The 15th week before the week the baby is due is known as the qualifying week
She must have average weekly earnings in the eight weeks up to and including the qualifying week at or above the lower earnings limit (LEL) for the payment of National Insurance (NI) contributions (£84 a week from April 2006).

I'd go do some online research and reading as its all there to be found :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back