household bills

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
I'm being a bit nosey here, how much, roughly, do people pay out a month in bills, or what do you think it'd be for a family of 2 adults, one baby in a 2 bed house - for electric, sewerage, water, gas, council tax, that sort of thing?
I have no idea!

electric £59 a month
water £35 a month
gas £69 a month
council tax £97 a month
tv £11 a month
and then there is phone, sky,internet, food
thats for a 3 bed house

Sorry long message hope its not to confusing
Well im living rent free at James dads place.
But before we moved we rented in a few places
2 places we rented from friends of James
But we have rented from a estate agents
It was a basement 1 bed flat on a very posh street so we had to pay council tax for the street rate which was £128 a month
Electric cost £40 month by meter
Rent was £500
We paid by meter at one friends about £40 a month. this was a 2 bed house we paid £400 a month rent as this was James best mate we where renting from.
The second friend british gas for gas and electric which was quarterly average of £300 i think :? was 2 years ago ive gone fuzzy on that. Rent was £650 a month as this was a 3 bed house, well one was a box room but classed as a 3 bed.
On average in my area of tonbridge we would have to fork out at least £700 and more for a 2 bed house and coucil tax depends on not only how many bedrooms but the area, street you live in.
Id look at your locl council website and find out about tax bands.
And get a few local papers and compair prices for renting.
Our you going to rent?
Buying a 2 bed house where i live on average is £220.000 we cant afford that. :shakehead:
I dont know how much it would cost where you are.

We can't get a mortgage so we will be renting. Houses in my area aren't hugely expensive. We are going to go on the council list and hope to get a 2 bed house for about £250 a month, me and my OH were trying to work out bills etc on top of that to see what we can afford so thanks guys for the input!

We live in a two-bedroom place, it's much bigger than the place we used to rent in London for £900 pcm :shock:

Rent: £465
TV: £11
Mobile: £6 (ish)
Landline: £10 (?)
Bills: Pretty cheap as we have a real coal fire and only have the heating on in the room we're in. Also OH is a money obsessive and we're constantly changing for the best deal.
Coal: £15 per month?
Wood: Free (we go and collect it from the local area)

I think we live really cheaply because we don't spend a lot on clothes or CDs or anything like that - most of our wages go into savings.

we have a 1 bedroom flat.....

electric £80 a month but then we are all electric and have no gas
water £30 a month i think
council tax £85 a month
tv £11 a month
rent £300 per month (housing assoc)

then there is internet, sky, fone etc but we dont have to have them

Hi hun

This is for a 2 bedroom house. It really makes no odds wheter there is 1 adult or 2 but with a baby electric may be more....here goes

PER MONTH

Rent £570 - 2 bedroom house Privately rented

Electric - £25
Gas - £40 - this is how much I put away each month but its possibly more in winter months, Il let you know when I get my bill in a few days....Im cacking it :(

Council Tax - £104 month - varies from property to property
B.T - £13
Sky - £26 this includes all channels except movies and sports, broadband and free eve and wknd calls on phone :) I couldnt afford to have sky and internet otherwise

Water & Sewage - £20 month - I think this varies from property to property? but its not alot really

TV Liscence - £11 month although I pay this is one hit at beginning of year

Then there is food, mobiles, insurance ( NOTE TO SELF!! must remember to get house contents insurance this is prob an added £20-£30 month ) & life insurance for when baby is here, plus mobile phone etc which is an added £350 mth

so total is a whopping.....£1189 I think :think: my adding is crap even with a calculator!

That doesnt even include clothes, make-up, toiletress, going out or anything. Ive had to go without most of that since OH moved out but hey-ho Im alive, got my head above water and I got my baby on the way :D

Tillytots said:
( NOTE TO SELF!! must remember to get house contents insurance this is prob an added £20-£30 month )

It won't be that much. We insured our place, 2 bed detached cottage with about £12,000 worth of contents insurance and its only £15 a month. My old place used to be £9.97.

You can insure via a special tenants insurance company, who also then cover any accidental damage to landlords fixtures and fittings (many tenancy agreements have this clause). If you want the name of the insurers let me know and I'll dig it out for you. Can apply and get insurance online easy enough :)

3 bedroom house...

mortgage £630
insurance £27
Sky £42
Broadband and telephone £20
gas & electric £157
council tax £100
water £60

i think thats it :think:

Ours is about £1600 a month but there are 2 adults and 2 kids in our house. :wall:

Sherlock said:
Tillytots said:
( NOTE TO SELF!! must remember to get house contents insurance this is prob an added £20-£30 month )

It won't be that much. We insured our place, 2 bed detached cottage with about £12,000 worth of contents insurance and its only £15 a month. My old place used to be £9.97.

You can insure via a special tenants insurance company, who also then cover any accidental damage to landlords fixtures and fittings (many tenancy agreements have this clause). If you want the name of the insurers let me know and I'll dig it out for you. Can apply and get insurance online easy enough :)

thanks hun, its soo much as contents comes to over £50k just pray no-one reads this and knows where I live!! :lol:

Tillytots said:
thanks hun, its soo much as contents comes to over £50k just pray no-one reads this and knows where I live!! :lol:

Crikey, are you listing *everything* or do you just happen to have a few bits that add on to the normal stuff thats worth all that? We whittled ours total down a bit as OH will have insurance for all his computer stuff via a different policy etc.

Plus I didn't list our bikes as not really worth it.

LOL - adding together all appliances ie. washing machine, fridge etc... things like jewellery - nothing of huge value as it would need a separate policy, decks and vinyls are loads, we have alot of electrical goods....its suprising how much it adds up :lol: I was told to include clothes and together mine come to easily over £5k on there own :oops: I was told to work on the principle that if my house was to burn down work out the total cost I would need to replace things. Thats going on the value I paid. We spent 10k on furniture & stuff only 6 months ago too.

we have ALOT of stuff. 10 years worth of hard work and hard shopping. Could you really replace all your contents for £12k? That doesnt seem very much :think:

x

Tillytots said:
we have ALOT of stuff. 10 years worth of hard work and hard shopping. Could you really replace all your contents for £12k? That doesnt seem very much :think:

Yeah, more than likely. TBH, I don't spend a fortune on clothes, nor does OH and we don't have a fancy TV or any such thing. Electrical things would cost, but tbh, they are not that expensive to buy now anyways. Our fridge freezer cost us £300 on sale. Our bed is the most expensive thing atm.

We have loads of books, but even those I'd not worry about wanting to replace *all* of them, just the important ones.

I don't own or wear any jewellery at all, so don't ever have to worry about that sort of thing either. Quite a relief as I'd worry like hell if it was a family heirloom :roll:

When we did the contents, loads of things like the old bookcases, which are 20 years old now and were hand made and given to me by my mother, we could not buy anywhere today. So we chose not to count them as such, as its hard to claim a value on such things. Other stuff like a 10 year old, £30 bookcase from Next we again decided hardly warrented including. Things like that I'd not want to replace anyways, and as it only adds excess we chose to leave them off.

We counted electrical goods, beds, clothing/shoes, some furniture, kitchen stuff, books and some CD's (its all backed up elsewhere anyways) and for the rest, worked out an average. Individually pricing things like bed linen, curtains etc we simply worked out a lump sum and were done.

Trying to add everything up just makes for excessive amounts and we've never done it that way. I have friends in a 4 bed town house, with loads more stuff than us and only have contents for £15,000 total.

Thanks guys for all the help! Me and my OH are really hoping to be able to afford to move out sooner rather than later.

RENT- £260
COUNCIL TAX-£100
ELETRIC-£60
GAS-£60
WATER-£25
TV-£34.12 every 3 months

This is for a 2 bed house

Dont have the kids, but got a cat, dog and 2 snakes (which need heating in the vivs)

rent - housing association - 2 bed flat £230

council tax - £130

Gas - £40

Elec - £40

Phone - BT - £32

Broadband -BT - £46

Mobiles - £30

Car Insurance - £30

Fuel - £50

Petfood - £30

total £658 before food

WOW Sarah £260 FOR RENT WOW :shock: :shock:
I moving to essex for a 2 bed i cant belive it thats so low :? :eek:
Never get that round hear even for a basment floor one bed flat.

1 bed flat

rent £660 private!, my other flat was £1200
Council tax £120
Electric £40
Gas not had bill yet!!
Tv license £11
Food £50 per week
Life insurance £7
Water £30

We are waiting for housing association :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online