house training a dog

lucylu87

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure where to post this.
having real trouble house training my dog.
Had him 3 months now . He is fantastic during the day when someones in. Bt if he is left alone or at night he is just doing it anywhere. Now I no he may not be able to hold himself for long bt he is just doing it anywhere not just in one place....im at the end of my tether with it. X

Have you tried using a puppy pen or crate training him?

It teaches them to hold it... How old is he? as when they're little they can only hold it for so long even at night... he will continue to use the same place as he can smell himself there... you can buy cleaner that kills the bacteria properly in places like pets at home xx

I have 5 dogs had them all from pups so i know it's not an easy task xx

I would agree with the above advice about a cage or pen or confining the dog to one room to start with at least.

Some dogs do find it more difficult to be dry overnight.

How old and what breed?
What is he fed on?
What time is his last meal, his last wee/poo stop?
What are your excersise/training regimes?

I would strongly advise hiring a rug doctor or similar for carpets to completely clean them and then start again with training. I also find that a solution of non bio washing powder with hot water followed by dabs of surgical spirit or even white vinegar in the affected areas neutralises the bacteria that causes the smell which attracts the dog back to the same spots to eliminate.

Back to basics with training, going out every 30 - 60 mins (depends on age) and using a 'cue' to ask the dog to go toilet (we use 'be quick') be patient, do or say NOTHING then praise when the dog has finished what it should.

Don't react to accidents either and certainly don't do the old myth of rubbing their nose in it - can't believe some people still do that!!

Consistancey is the key!

Last edited:
Also if carpet bicarb of soda then Hoover up to elimimate smells. How long is he being left overnight and when out? Is it possible to get a crate and puppy pen attatched so he is limited in his area just for now? It may also be a security thing he feels insecure and then forgets training as worrying maybe get him a t shirt or something old that smells of you to leave with him when you aren't there? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back