Hospital or birthing centre?

angel1987

Reaction score
I can't decide, keep changing my mind. I think I'm swaying towards the birthing centre as I really want a waterbirth, and want to avoid an epidural if possible. I'm petrified of needles, and the thought of one going into my spine scares me to death! But then I don't know if I'm going to get to the point where I change my mind and really want one if it gets too much.. (You can't have them at my local birthing centre)
The birthing centre looks so nice, like a hotel room, big double bed, birthing pool, really relaxing, nothing like a hospital, but when it comes down to it, will I be able to do it, as I've no idea what to expect, even after watching births on tv, I guess no one really knows how they are going to cope until they have done it. Just wondered if anyone had any experiences of giving birth in the birthing centre without the option of an epidural, rather than the hospital? I know everyones experiences are different, but really need help to make up my mind on this one! X

I started off In birthing centre but as ny laboyr was 24 hours + they shipped me off to the labour ward. Birthing centre was nice they seemed to let u get on with labour and came in to check now and again lol. I had pethidine in there and gas and air. Ultimately I had a epi in labour ward as been in labour sooo long xx

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

I started in birthing centre, and I loved it. It was so peaceful and laid back. My MW was amazing and I even agreed to a student...

However I also endured a very long labour and stalled at 6cm, so they simply couldn't keep me in the birthing centre as I needed the drip to help me along.

Luckily for me the labour ward was just the floor below and I even managed to walk down.

I ended up on a drip, baby was on a trace so I was pretty much on my back for most of it. I stuck with G&A and had some diamorphine but I did manage a natural delivery and didn't have an EPI.

I'd def opt for birthing centre if we have number 2, however I know I am so close to labour ward if I need to be moved so that reassures me that in an emergency I am just minutes away from additional help....

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I could have wrote that myself when I was pg. I chose a birth centre and so glad I did, one room start to finish, hubby by my side from start to finish I was scared about the epidural too but like you scared of needles so really didn't want one. They did say they will transfer me if needed and I can have an epidural but I didn't want one in the end. I loved the birth centre it was an amazing experience and I wouldn't change it. I worried about all the what ifs but the midwives were amazing my first was back to back, his heart rate dropped and they needed him out quick, they gave me episiotomy and got him out without any more interference, they were amazing. I was home 8 hours later.

Birth centres are fab and if you decide at any point you want an epidural they will transfer you to their nearest maternity ward to have one. They will support you in not needing one by using mobilisation and breathing, water, TENS, gas and air and/or pethidine/diamorphine. They are great with the normality of labour and birth and experts in spotting deviations from the norm and when to transfer if you need it.
Unfortunately the choice is out of my hands because of my gestational dibetes so I have to go to labour ward and be medicalised, but I would love to deliver in the birth centre.

I didnt give birth at a birthing center but had a home birth and didnt have the option of any pain relief. The labour was 38 hrs in total so it was exausting but I found the pain very managable. The main reason for that was that I got to be in any possition I wanted. When I did end up on my back for a contraction it was 10x more painful. It also helped a lolt to be comfortable and relaxed. I never wished I had pain relief available. I do think I would have been much more likely to feel the need for pain relief in the hospital environment so if that is what you want it is worth bearing in mind where you will feel most comfortable and have the most freedom.

Last edited:
I didn't have any option where I gave birth as I was high risk but I'd have chosen the hospital over the birthing unit. I liked the idea I was in the "best" place and that I was constantly monitored. I think (for me personally) I would have freaked out in the birthing unit lol

We chose a birth centre for ds1 as it looked beautoful and was everything I wanted. Turns out I needed the drip as prolonged rupture membrane etc and so incredibly grateful I did as I needed an emergncy section due to foetal distress and the birth cebtre was a good while (bulance ride) from the hospital. I had been to my local dau to get checked etc.....for ds2 a birth centre wasnt an option.not because there isnt one but becuase the risk for me based upon the only experience I had wasnt worth it.....turns out I thought my membranes had ruptured and ds2 had little to no heart rate. Either way hospital saved my life. In my case ds2s heart failed after 1 minute of birth and the nicu unit we were with were incredible....IF we ever had enough there no way id go to a birthing unit because for ME personally and the birth experiences iv had ots not worth the rosk at all....BUT im glad for ds1 I had booked the birthing centreiyswim.....as in had it as an option...id rather book it and not use it because of difficulties (for my first o ly) then to have not had it....I hope that makes half sense x

I toyed with the idea of a birthing centre for my first baby, but (before the choice was taken out of my hands) had already decided against it, because the centre is a 40 min blue-light ambulance ride away from the hospital if you get into any difficulties, let alone need something like an epidural for pain relief!

I haven't got a choice this time around because I'm now considered high risk, but if I wasn't I would choose the birthing centre. We've moved house and in this area the birthing centre is actually within the hospital, so any problems you just need to be wheeled (or walk) down the corridor. The birthing centre environment looks amazing and relaxed and far less medicalised (if at all!).

As an aside, I absolutely hate needles and had to have an epidural before my emergency c-section - you don't actually see anything, so whilst it feels a bit odd, it's not as bad as you might think!

I looked at our local birthing centre for my 1st, but decided hospital in the end after my OH admitted he was nervous about not being at a hospital for our 1st. I still had the birth I wanted so was really chuffed. Assuming I have a similar pregnancy next time round I would definitely opt for the birthing centre and I think now we've been through it once my OH would also be happy with that xx

Luckily we have a birthing centre within the main hospital so can easily be transferred over if complications arise. When I had my ds I laboured in the birth centre and it was so relaxed and the midwife just lets you get on with it. They can tell by your body language and how you are coping how far along you are so very rarely even examine you unless you want it of course. Unfortuntaley when my waters broke there was meconium in them and because it took me a little longer than the midwife was happy with for me to push him out they transferred me to the labour ward. This time I'm hoping I can deliver in the birth centre without any problems. I think because it is a more relaxed and calm atmosphere in the birth centre you are less likely to need an epi or any type of intervention but at the end of the day it comes down to what you are happy and more comfortable with. Personally I prefer the more relaxed and 'natural' process of child birth that the birth centre can offer xx

I wanted to homebirth, done more or less most of the ride at home. But as I didn't progress quick enough I transferred to the hospital and I would do it again this way. I was forced to wait 2 hours to be transferred and there was no medical need at that point I just knew not progressing quick enough it was going take long and it may've then ended up in medical transfer so in my opinion going there a little earlier as I could still manage the pain and there being no medical need would be wiser as I was climbin the walls at home and thought I could sit on a yoga ball or go in the pool in either places but I did not want a double transfer.

Ended up with forceps delivery on gas and air only as I kept refusing the diamorphine or anything else. I even had a bloody hormone drip but screaming my head off and the entonox on mask kept me going. I was petrified of anything coming near my spine and ended up with spinal block for the bloody stiches! Which I couldn't refuse with a 3rd degree tear! I mean I moved my tongue with a tongue piercing and ended up traumatized about that. Accepting any drugs via needles is your own choice at the time of being. I'm convinced if you can cope via other methods your own endorfins will do the job for you well it did for me and i'm/was squeamish as no tomorrow!

I didnt give birth at a birthing center but had a home birth and didnt have the option of any pain relief. The labour was 38 hrs in total so it was exausting but I found the pain very managable. The main reason for that was that I got to be in any possition I wanted. When I did end up on my back for a contraction it was 10x more painful. It also helped a lolt to be comfortable and relaxed. I never wished I had pain relief available. I do think I would have been much more likely to feel the need for pain relief in the hospital environment so if that is what you want it is worth bearing in mind where you will feel most comfortable and have the most freedom.

They let you have tens and gas and air at home too if you want a home birth now you have to hire the tens yourself you can also hire or buy inflatable home birthing pools too. X

If you are healthy and your child is healthy and there have actually been no various other pregnancy related problems, a birthing center is the much better choice for you (provided your options).

You can constantly move to the medical facility must an issue arrise. Many birth related issues are not 'flash- life or fatality' you would not have a selection if you were dealing with concerns like that.

The healthcare facility for me has to do with 10-15 minutes away with light traffic. They have clinical equpment at the center, ought to you require something ... you need to inquire about the alternatives. You are most likely to have common birth interventions at the healthcare facility such as shaving the pubic area, IV, continuous fetal tracking (definition you are tethered to an equipment) rather then intermitent (examining when and a while) offering you flexibility to move, episiotomy, pitocin or various other induction medicines and various other and epidural medicines, that migh wind up makeing a medical birth required for nothing else reason than you went to the healthcare facility and they did things to you ...

I spent labour and birth in the birthing centre and it was amazing xx

i have to go to hospital but id have chosen that over the birthing unit any day. doctors are on hand of you need them to be and id rather have that than need to be sent to the other hospital if i was at the birthing centre as that would worry me. also if u dont want an epi you just refuse one

I had a homebirth with a birthing pool, many people thought I was mad doing that for a first baby but I'm so glad I did. I had some gas and air but didn't at any point feel the need for an epi. Unfortunately had to transfer in afterwards due to a retained placenta but I'm very proud of myself for coping without epi or diamorphine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back