Hospital doesn't tell gender :(

Caoimhe..x

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)
I have my 20wk scan on Wednesday, I'm really looking forward to it the only problem is that they don't tell you the sex of the baby :( I really wanna know.
So I was wondering has anyone else went to a hospital where they say they won't tell you the sex but have ended up telling you if you ask at the scan?

X

That's strange.... Why do they not tell you? I would ask the sonographer anyway just in case. If not i guess you may need to have a private scan if you want to know xx

I've heard that certain areas of the country won't tell the gender as certain religions may terminate if they find out they are having a girl. Not sure if that's why in every case though. Our local NHS hospital do tell the gender but we couldn't wait until 20 weeks so had a private gender scan at 15 weeks! X

Our hospital point blank refused to tell us too but we had a lovely lady who kept the scanner on the area a little too long lol so we got a good look!

Spencer David Wilcockson 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

Not sure why they don't tell. I'm planning on getting a private scan if they don't tell me anyway, but hopefully they will :)

X

Apparently I have heard, some have got it wrong then the mother has tried sueing the hospital. Not sure if they won the case, so they stopped telling the gender because its never 100%

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I would maybe when she's scanning that general area ask her a question or 2 to buy some time so u get a good look

alternatively you could get a private one done, the thing is the hospital scan is more to check health the sex is pretty irrelevant to them as long as its healthy whereas for us we still want to know.

one thing I will say is that the 20 week nhs one felt alot more intense and serious than the private gender one we had done we liked it because we could just concentrate and make sure baby was ok as we had the private 'fun' gender one.
would recommend a private one, not 3/4 d just a normal one :)

The hospitals in our area have notices everywhere saying not to ask. And it's cause it cost them thousands to settle out of court for getting it wrong.

That said we kinda asked and the consultant told us, so maybe worth a shot. Lol.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Yeah I heard it was because of certain groups with religious beliefs terminating too, how can people sue when they are told and everyone knows it's not 100 percent x

back at ours in 2001 with my daughter , they wouldn't tell you , for culture reasons, so I know how you feel , esp if youd made up your mind that you wanted to know.

Then we had an extra scan at 32 weeks I think it was as I was small for dates, and they offered to tell us then, they had no issues once later on in pregnancy, maybee yourll be the same

When I had mine the sonographer quite rightly explained that the 20 week scan wasn't for revealing the sex of the baby, but to make sure baby was ok, measuring fine, no abnormalities etc...
I stayed team yellow so wasn't an issue to me.
Some babies are not very cooperative either so I can understand why they wouldn't tell you in case somebody sued. Ridiculous that people would though.

When I had my 20 week scan with William as soon as we got in and the lady introduced herself etc she asked us if we knew the purpose of the scan. She was very happy when I replied 'to check for anomalies' lol she did then say that if it was possible for her to tell did we want to know the sex but we'd already decided to stay team yellow. She said they were happy to tell people but it just pissed them off that a lot of (but obv not all) patients were more concered with boy/girl rather than is baby healthy.

This time I think I'd like to know, not sure what OH thinks yet but my scans will be at a different hospital so not sure of their policy yet.

I'd also heard about different ethnic groups finding out and then aborting! That's absolutely shocking so I can see why some hospitals are reluctant to reveal.

Caoimhe what hospital are you attending, are you NI or southern ireland?

Hmmmm my cousin was attending the ulster and they told her that was 18 months ago, is it the hospital policy or just that radiographer? Im at rvh the first radiographer didnt want to telk us the 2nd one did, thats why im wondering if its policy or deoending who you get, if youre wanting a private scan we went to 352 on lisburn rd, they had a deal on at the time and with voucher from bounty pack we got ut for £125, but we got a video and tonnes of pics

Its hospital policy apparently. And yeah I'm gonna go for a private scan next week if I don't find out, babybond are doing a deal for a gender scan at just £39 atm. X

I'm 24 weeks but have just moved back home after living in Scotland so had to go for my first 'booking in' at the Ulster last week and they scanned me again, my OH said 'he' referring to baby just out of habit (we're team yellow, think its wishful thinking lol) and she said 'oh so you know it's a boy then, before I look and say anything' so I think she would have said what she thought it was if I hadn't have screamed NO!! Haha so it probably just depends on who you get, fingers crossed you get the same as me and she should tell you no problem :)

Well had my scan, baby is healthy, little bugger had his face turned into my bladder so couldn't get a good picture haha! Further along than I thought I was too, I'll be 22wks on Sunday :)
I did ask about the sex of the baby and the lady said she couldn't say due to hospital policy, she also said even if she could she wouldn't be able to because of the way baby was lying, very shy today. Well anyway I've the £39 just gender scan booked at Babybond next week, can't wait :) x

£39 is gret coukdnt beat that, good luck, driving us mad now not knowing lol im convinced its a boy hes convinced its a girl

I've heard its for religious and incase theyr wrong.

Our hospital did tell us but before she did she went to tht area and hovered and it was clear he wsa a boy! We said is it a boy and she said I think we can all agree. So I don't know if that's kind of to double check we were sure first before she confirmed.

Maybe ask to float in that general area, it may be obvious. We couldn't miss jacksons little man through out the scan floating away in the water lol xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back