Hospital bag

GingerKitty

Reaction score
I've made a list of everything to put in my hospital bag and it's pretty extensive!

For those of you that have packed or are more organised than me, what actual bag are you using? I'd like to get something that can take everything I need but that might still be useful later on.

I'm using the bag I got last time - it's a fairly large holdall and I managed to fit everything in it I needed last time around, plus it's a nice design so I've used it for short holidays etc since :) xxx

I'm 37 weeks and not totally packed yet lol.what's on your list? First time I took.loads I didn't need. I undertaking a,small holdall

I'm taking a small bag which is hand luggage size. I got 6 vests and 4 sleep suits. I got around 8 nappies, travel size shower stuff, flip flops for the shower I don't like not wearing something on my feet in public showers. I have Cotten wool, lip balm, hair bands & clips, mat pads and lots of big black knickers and a pack of disposable ones. Also 1 nightie and a shorts and vest top pj set, warm socks for labour heard you can get cold feet tho I intend for a water birth. Hat and mitts for baby, a blanket and muslins(not sure if I need these so please give feed back). I have a going home outfit for me tracksuit lol i want to be comfortable and only coming home so i dont care how i look. Babys outfit is just a sleep suit which i really liked. Not taking loads as I live 2 minutes from hospital so if I need more hubby will come back. I have looked at the list and not taking most as I feel it's not going to get used. There is a thread at the top of this page which is the same thing but has loads of pages. I had a read through that as it gave lots of ideas on things i hadn't thought of. I also added drinks and snacks should I need some energy, change for pending machine and straws. People also suggested that magic cool spray I think that's what it is called.
I will take my bag plus baby's changing bag.

I took a few nighties last time which turned out to be really useful as was in hospital for 3 days after due to having emergency c section in the end, and kept bleeding on my nighties so was good to have a few to use. I had spare bags in the car with additional changes of clothes for me and for baby in case we ended up staying a long time to save my husband having to try and pick clothes for me himself.
I took newborn and 0-3 sleepsuits and lucky I did as millie ended up being a big baby so was 0-3 initially and then lost a bit of weight and went into newborn for a few days xxx

Half the stuff on the hospital bag lists you'll never use....I've just packed as if I was having a weekend away (without the heels) x

I'm taking a small suitcase which has wheels on for my things and taking baby's changing bag for the baby's things. I can't really remember what I took the last two times lol and I normally take to many things aswell!! X

Last edited:
I Took a small holdall for myself (stayed in 2 nights) and filled the changing bag with baby sleeps suits/vests/nappies/muslins/outfit for home & blanket. Hospital provided cotton wool balls & bowls for warm water for cleaning baby bums. I kept a carry pack of nappies & a spare bag in the car as a just incase of emergency x

Half the stuff on the hospital bag lists you'll never use....I've just packed as if I was having a weekend away (without the heels) x

That's what I've done. I don't pack a coming home outfit for baby asim likes to go and buy it, take it home to wash them being it on for home time. Some of the lists are crazy and full of pointless things! If I run of of nighties I'll just get me an NHS gown to see me through :) taken more baby stuff than I will likely need though.

This is my list, so far!

• Toiletries & makeup
  • Cheap slippers
  • Nursing nightdresses
  • Dressing gown
  • Loose, comfy clothes (3x changes)
  • Kindle/book
  • Phone charger
  • Towels
  • Snacks
  • Eye mask
  • Ear plugs
  • Bottled water with sports cap
  • 2 x Nursing bra
  • Comfy pants
  • Maternity pads
  • Battery operated candles
  • Maternity tankini
  • Pillow
  • Nappies, blanket & clothes for baby
  • Maternity notes
  • Glasses
  • TENS machine
  • Lavender & tea tree oil

But it's a work in progress and I don't have much of the stuff yet!!

Was advised they could help if you're trying to sleep and it's noisy!

Id be too scared I didn't hear my own baby wake for a feed haha. Just a tip. A large tub of Vaseline. Slather on yourself down there before your first pee and it acts as a barrier and prevents burn. Also, slather it on babies bum before you put first nappy on and the meconium comes off so much easier as its like wiping treacle off with a cotton ball otherwise. Very messy! X

I bet hi u don't use them. You ok be d o knackered you could sleep with a . Lighthouse Shining in to your fwce and you need to be,able to hear your baby cry.

I didn't bother with So many clothes either. I just wore pj'$ in hospital and you likely won't be in too long anyway

I also wouldn't bother with candles or the oils but some people find them important.

I bet hi u don't use them. You ok be d o knackered you could sleep with a . Lighthouse Shining in to your fwce

I wish! I was in hospital two nights with my first and got no sleep. I just couldn't, despite having had a poor night the night before labour as well. I was a zombie when they discharged me- they had to get me a wheelchair to get me off the ward! I sat in the car with my eyes closed all the way home but still couldnt sleep. Was such a relief to get home to my own bed.

Oooh, good tip about the vaseline, thanks!

I use earplugs a bit in our flat as we're in town and it can be noisy sometimes (alarms going off etc - we're in the process of moving!) and while they block out a lot of environmental noise, you can still hear if someone speaks next to you, so I think baby crying would be ok.

I'm planning to be in the midwife centre with the pool and one of my friends used the candles, said it really helped her relax. I'll try anything!!! The oils, another friend recommended a few drops on your pads to help prevent infection. Again, I'll give anything a bash :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back