Hospital bag ? What do I need ??!?!

Aries29

Reaction score
What items are good to have In hospital bag . So I can make a list please

I'm thinking 2 nappys /2 baby outfits / 1 blanket / wipes

Do I need milk - as I was hoping to breast but baby may not take

Last edited:
For how long are you packing? I have the following, should be enough for 1 night if necessary:
- 2 baby outfits (onesies), 1 with feet and 1 without
- 2 baby 'things that go under clothes'
- 1 pair of baby socks, 1 baby hat
- 1 blanket for going home (at my hospital you get blankets to use there)
- 1 going home outfit for baby
- 2 bibs, Will probably send hubby to get more if we need to stay longer than a few hours
- underwear and pyjamas for myself
- breastfeeding bra, pads, lanolin cream, breastfeeding top
- toiletries for me (you'll need these after giving birth, take a shower at the hospital, even if you're going home very quick)
- no toiletries or nappies for baby as we can use them at our hospital, just 1 nappy to go home in maybe. If you don't get them at hospital, I'd take at least for 24 hours, about 8 nappies

I don't think you need formula if you want to try breastfeeding. You can always buy some if you need it and I'm sure if it's urgent they have some at the hospital.

I have packed per baby
4 grows ... I haven't packed scratch mittens as my grows have fold over cuff ones
4 hats
4 vest
10 nappies
1 pack wipes
1 blanket
1 snuggle toy ... My son is taking them a teddy too ... Good for photos :)
1 bottle of prepaid formula ... Hospitals won't prepare powder ... Also check with your hospital as some provide formula
2 cardigans
2muslin cloths
4 bibs
Pack of wipes
Nappy bags
Going home outfit
Socks

Then for myself
2 nighties ... Having a. Section so going for comfort
Disposable knickers
Big pads
Toiletries
Slippers
Phone charger ... Not packed yet but will be on the day
Pack of playing cards ... Incase I get bored waiting to go down
Last time I took a dressing gown, I'm not this time
Breast pads
Bras
Normal knickers for after disposable ones run out
Spare t shirt for husband, last time I also packed him some underpants but as it is a planned section he won't need those
Note pad and pen
Lip balm

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else as the bag is packed and in the car x

I think I've over packed as I currently have 2 bags!!! Baby's bag has vests and long sleeved baby grows (in newborn and 0-3 in case I have a chubber!) muslin squares, 2 going home outfits (again two sizes) bibs/dribble bibs, nappies will be going in...I think that's it.
My bag has 2x PJs, a nightie, lightweight dressing gown, slippers, flip flops, toiletries, maternity pads and breast pads, 2packs of cheap big knickers, charger will be going in, as will something to wear when I come home, and I've got some dried bananas and apples to snack on. Would have had some flapjacks but I ate them yesterday :lol:

I have 2 bags too but I have 2 babies to dress lol, this is why I'm not taking a dressing gown as it would be a 3rd bag ... Maybe I should pack a dressing gown though x

I've packed loads! Might take some out and put it in another bag for DH to bring in if I need it?
I've currently packed (in one case plus baby's changing bag)
For baby
Pack 20 nappies
Water wipes
4 tiny baby size babygrows
4 newborn size babygrows
2 going home outfits (weather dependant)
Cardigan
2 blankets
5 bibs
3 muslins
4 hats
1 pair of socks for going home
Ready made formula in case he needs top ups
Snuza hero breathing monitor

For me
Dressing gown
6 nighties
Slippers
Maternity pads
Disposable pants
Normal big pants
Breast pads
Toiletries
2 sleep bras
2 nursing bras
And I reckoned that the clothes I wear to travel into hospital will do me for going home in as they will only be on for an hour or two on the way there and back again?

Last edited:
I was planning the same things with my own clothes, going to wear something comfortable so it doesn't hurt my wound

What's the breathing monitor? I don't think you have packed too much x

There was a really good thread on here a while ago about hospital bag stuff but I can't find it. I packed mine based on that this is what I have (and I'm taking a suitcase one of the cabin sized ones)

For baby:
3x first size grows
1x 0-3month size grow
1x 0-3month pjs
3x vests
2x hats
1x socks
2x muslin squares
1x pack of nappies
1x pack of baby wipes
2x blankets

For me:
Loose black maxi dress to come home in
Black cardigan
6x old knickers
1x pack of maternity pads
1x socks
1x sports bra (to wear if I'm allowed the pool)
2x nightdresses
Towel
Travel straighteners
Dry shampoo
Shampoo
Conditioner
Body wash
Mascara
Make up wipes
Toothbrush & paste
Kindle & charger
Camera

Then last minute I will pack my phone, charger, purse, snacks

I think that's it. It takes up a lot of room and the last minute bits will just have to go into another bag but hey ho.

Take a pack of nappies- I was in for 4 days!! Or at least leave a pack it the car along with spare clothes in case of longer than anticipated stay x

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Just seen that nappies are on BOGOF at Boots!

Thanks for the info ladies, just been to Sainsburys to grab a few extra bits. Someone on another thread mentioned taking some juice or cordial, so grabbed one of those little concentrate squirty things to save space! Xx

I was planning the same things with my own clothes, going to wear something comfortable so it doesn't hurt my wound

What's the breathing monitor? I don't think you have packed too much x

It's a clip on monitor that tracks the breathing movements and alarms if no movement felt ...... it's half price just now in Argos ..... wish I'd waited and got it now lol

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3238051.htm

I hate when you. Us something and then it's half price ... It frustrates me x

Good idea with the squirty juice thing! :)

Ive just started packing mine - think some flapjacks can go in there too

I have packed per baby
4 grows ... I haven't packed scratch mittens as my grows have fold over cuff ones
4 hats
4 vest
10 nappies
1 pack wipes
1 blanket
1 snuggle toy ... My son is taking them a teddy too ... Good for photos :)
1 bottle of prepaid formula ... Hospitals won't prepare powder ... Also check with your hospital as some provide formula
2 cardigans
2muslin cloths
4 bibs
Pack of wipes
Nappy bags
Going home outfit
Socks

Then for myself
2 nighties ... Having a. Section so going for comfort
Disposable knickers
Big pads
Toiletries
Slippers
Phone charger ... Not packed yet but will be on the day
Pack of playing cards ... Incase I get bored waiting to go down
Last time I took a dressing gown, I'm not this time
Breast pads
Bras
Normal knickers for after disposable ones run out
Spare t shirt for husband, last time I also packed him some underpants but as it is a planned section he won't need those
Note pad and pen
Lip balm

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else as the bag is packed and in the car x

MrsB did you find that the bits on your list were what you needed for the boys once you were in? Just packing for the twinnies now & think I'm going overboard lol ! I'm thinking I'll also have an "extras" bag for hubby to grab if needed in the boot ? X

I had to get my husband to bring a few extra grows in, I only stayed in one night, if you are in longer you will need more nappies but if you are packing an extra car to leave in the boot just pop them in there. Also I found big granny knickers were far more comfortable than the disposable knickers
I also needed more bibs probably double the amount if not more x

I was in with my son for 3 days so I've just packed again based on 3 days, we live 35-49 min drive from the hospital so want to make sure my hubby isn't doing a lot of trips. So here's what I've packed

For baby: 4 sleep suits
4 vests
Hat
Blanket
Nappies
Cotton balls (they prefer you don't use wipes due to skin sensitivity
Hipp organic bottles with teats x12 I'm not planning to breastfeed and hospital don't supply hipp so I had to
Order these online)
Muslin cloths

For me. 2 nightdresses
1 set of PJS
Nightgown and slippers
Socks
Underwear
Tena lady pants (used these last time found them so much more comfortable than maternity pads and they
didn't ruin your underwear
Towel
2 wash cloths
Toiletries (toothbrush/toothpaste/face wipes/ deodorant/hairbrush etc)
Spare phone charger
Clothes for home

Can't remember if there's anything else I'm hoping I will only need an overnight, I know I'll deffo not be home after 6 hours, myself and baby will need 24 hours of observation on account of me having Group B strep but hoping that'll be as long as we have to stay

I'm just being nosy but some of you have packed so much!
I packed
12 nappies
6 baby grows (1 was for coming home in) personally don't get outfits for going home. You change them into a baby grow once in doors.
6 vests
1 hat and mittens
Lots of Muslins
Cotten wool

For me:
Dressing gown
Couple of nighties
Something to give birth in. I ended up in hospital gown.
Arnica tabs. These help with healing.
Snacks and mags
I pad
Fan. It gets hot in there!
Straws
Clothes to come home in
Pack of pads
Hair bands and clips
Frozen water
Socks
2 pairs of pj's
Lots of black big knickers or disposable ones.

Think that was it.

Last edited:
I remember over packing big time with my first x

How many bibs do you reckon? Will I need to pack formula? Not sure whether to breastfeed or not :s what snacks did you pack? I'm being kept in for at least 24hours. Just got to put nightwear in and then I think it's about done.

I'm just being nosy but some of you have packed so much!
I packed
12 nappies
6 baby grows (1 was for coming home in) personally don't get outfits for going home. You change them into a baby grow once in doors.
6 vests
1 hat and mittens
Lots of Muslins
Cotten wool

For me:
Dressing gown
Couple of nighties
Something to give birth in. I ended up in hospital gown.
Arnica tabs. These help with healing.
Snacks and mags
I pad
Fan. It gets hot in there!
Straws
Clothes to come home in
Pack of pads
Hair bands and clips
Frozen water
Socks
2 pairs of pj's
Lots of black big knickers or disposable ones.

Think that was it.

I think that's a pretty similar list to everyone else! What are the straws for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back