Hospital Bag Questions

kittykitchn

Reaction score
I bought my hospital bag today :-D and some nightwear for me. Think I pretty much have everything now (other than snacks ect obviously).

I'm absolutely itching to pack it now, but have a couple of questions...

When it comes to washing baby's clothes, does that include new in packet stuff? I don't want to go washing too much incase I need to take it back for different sizes.

When size clothes should I pack? Should I bring newborn AND 0-3, or just newborn? I know it's not the end of the world to get someone to go and get me some bigger sizes if needed, but I just want everything to be perfect. Bare in mind I'm currently measuring large, but that could change nearer the time or just be a fluke.

I don't know whether I'll breast feed, FF or what really. What do I need to pack?

Thank you for your help!

In terms of baby clothing size if your worried take 1 0-3 outfit but Jackson was really long and 7lb 3oz and actually fitted beautifully in tiny baby and newborn clothes. We didnt get using his 0-3 until he was about 1m.

I FF so I took in a few bottles and tht was it. Maybe ring your ward and check tht theres milk and if so what kind as mine stocked the little bottles of either SMA or cow and gate. Some wards ask that you bring your own. Breast feeding id imagine your boobs bring them deffo :p, nipple sheilds, nipple cream and pads... Not sure what else on that front. Our ward had a bottle warmer too so didnt need that.

I had my bag packed proper early last time. Very exciting. Good luck.

xxxx

Hadn't even thought of nipple shields... I bet there's plenty I haven't got that I've no idea about!

You need to wash all baby's clothes in non bio including brand new stuff. I took newborn and up to one month clothes. My lo was only 6lb 3oz but was long (75th centile) so newborn had plenty of room in them but he needed the length. Up to one month drowned him and he didn't go into 0-3 until he was about 8 weeks old. I wanted to breastfeed so I just took breast pads but i would recommend lansinoh as well. If baby has trouble with breastfeeding the hospital should support you with this and provide formula if top ups are needed (my hospital did but if you're intending to formula feed they won't provide formula for this so you'll need to take your own - Mothercare sell starter packs which are handy) x

Maybe a cape if your a but self conscious ? I dont know loads about bf stuff.

Just start packing and put down what youv got. If ypuv missed something I sure someone will suggest it.

I did take loads with me tbf so, you dont wanna take too much. Essentials and a few extras.

OH can always pop in with things too.

xxxx

You really shouldn't use nipple shields especially not in the first few days so don't pack them.
If you have any problems with breastfeeding ask a midwife for help or ask them to get the lactation consultant/infant feeding coordinator for you.

I would wash clothes definitely. I'd just take newborn also as it's extremely unlikely that the baby will be big enough for 0-3 which usually only fit babies over 10lbs.
Even if your baby is big I am sure she will still fit in newborn clothes for a few weeks (remember they also tend to lose a few ounces in the first week and not get back to birth weight until around day 14).

I packed newborn with my first and my mum had to go out first thing the next morning and buy tiny baby as they were only 5lb 14oz and everything was huge.

With my second I think I packed some tiny baby and some newborn, she was 6lb11oz and from memory she was in the tiny baby stuff at first.

If you do FF at any point please remember that a newborn's stomach is about the size of a cherry and can only hold 5-7ml. They don't need much at all (which is why they feed often)

Last edited:
And thats why I didnt BF :p Id be taking all this unecessary stuff. I just read them being thrown about on here :lol:

Good to know Pheonix.

xxxx

This is how my bags look at the mo:

Logan bag
3 bibs
3 baby gros
2 hats
2 vests
2 outfits
2 cardigans
1 blanket
Scratch mitts
12 Nappies

My bag
Knickers x 4
2x bras
Leggings & top
Old t shirt
Pads
Breast pads
Deodorant, shower gel, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner

Need to buy
Small bag cotton wool
Knickers
Dressing gown (thin)
Slipper socks
Snacks
Magazines

Need to pack
Towel
Make up
Change
Pen
Straws

I plan to be out within 6 hours but may have to be in overnight depending on what time he's born x

Possibly the daftest question here - but why breast pads to hospital? I don't remember needing them until my milk came in (and then I leaked so much I needn't have bothered. I still got wet patches :lol:).

As for clothes sizes - my son was 9lb 12oz born and he went into newborn. They lasted him less than a week, then we went to 0-1m, but the 0-3m were HUGE and didn't fit him for a good 3-4 weeks. You should be fine with newborn - they're so scrunched up after birth too that even the big babies are a bit smaller than you'd expect!! Xx

I cant wait for a 6h discharge next time. Just hope I dont give birth during the night if so I want out early doors!!

xxxx

My little girl was born 8lb 9 and 0-3 month stuff was too big for about 2 weeks. Take newborn up to 7.5lb and up to 10lbs, babygros are best, I didn't bother with outfits for a little while, try and get the sleepsuits with scratch mits on the arms. I breastfed and for first 3/4 days it was just colostrum so didn't need breast pads at hospital but had 6 in my bag just in case, don't get nipple shields unless you have latch problems, buy some lansinoh nipple cream, it's amazing and also use as lip balm :) Find out if your hospital supplies milk? If not buy a pack of aptamil ready made with the sterile teats, I used them for a few weeks as baby lost nearly 10% weight due to bad latch. x

Possibly the daftest question here - but why breast pads to hospital? I don't remember needing them until my milk came in (and then I leaked so much I needn't have bothered. I still got wet patches :lol:).

As for clothes sizes - my son was 9lb 12oz born and he went into newborn. They lasted him less than a week, then we went to 0-1m, but the 0-3m were HUGE and didn't fit him for a good 3-4 weeks. You should be fine with newborn - they're so scrunched up after birth too that even the big babies are a bit smaller than you'd expect!! Xx

My milk came in quicker after my first baby, I never needed breast pads until day 3 with my first but was having some leakage straight away with 2,3 & 4 x

Same as Tigger, I never leaked in hospital, and with my second baby my milk came in the day after she was born (less than 24hrs) but still didn't leak. I did feed her lots though.

If you do FF at any point please remember that a newborn's stomach is about the size of a cherry and can only hold 5-7ml. They don't need much at all (which is why they feed often)

Not sure where you get this information from?
A baby needs 120mls of feed per kilo of body weight per 24 hours.
If your baby is 3kg then they will need 360mls of feed per day. Feeding 3 hourly would be 45mls per feed or 2 hourly would be 30mls which a newborn baby will have absolutely no problem fitting into their stomach :)

Last edited:

I take breast pads to hospital as I use lanolin nipple cream and it is quite greasy so it goes on the breast pads rather than my bra or clothes. Plus they are softer than clothes rubbing on your sore nipples xx

Not sure where you get this information from?
A baby needs 120mls of feed per kilo of body weight per 24 hours.
If your baby is 3kg then they will need 360mls of feed per day. Feeding 3 hourly would be 45mls per feed or 2 hourly would be 30mls which a newborn baby will have absolutely no problem fitting into their stomach :)
3f2e159b58886b338ab6931bfd6ec699.jpg

Wow 24 years as a paediatric nurse looking after newborns and I've never known a newborn to only take 7 mls feed .... I need sacked

Jackson wasnt exactly 4oz every 4h right away but he did take more than the 7ml.

I guess it must differ baby to baby? I think he took 1-2 oz at a time. I wouldnt say you need tonnes of formula either. Our ward provided the throw away jars and teats quite often Id use roughly a half then it be tossed until his next feed.

Id just put 2oz in his own bottle so he wasnt confused with teats lol.

xxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back