Hospital Bag Ideas

Anne1

Reaction score
Hello I'm finally getting around to packing my hospital bag and it's so confusing. Have you got any ideas on good things I'll need or I might have forgotten?? Should I wash all the baby clothes before I pack her things? TIA xx

I washed mine before..

For me I'll have:
A nightie i can bf in
Pj bottoms/vest tops
Flip flops
Maternity pads/knickers & breast pads
Spare knickers
Carrier bag for dirty washing
2 flannels
Toiletries

Will also pack phone charger ( i have the kindle app so can read as well if it's a slow one)

For baby:
Newborn bodysuits/sleepsuits
A couple of up to one month bodysuits & 1 sleepsuit
Muslin squares
Couple of pairs of socks/mits and bibs
2 blankets (1 to take home for dogs to get used to his scent)
Nappies
Water wipes
Nappy bags

I think that's it but may have forgotten a couple of things x

Same as what Lou has said but add in a dark towel, comfortable clothes for you to go home in, if you are planning on bottle feeding you have to take the ready made formula (liquid), baby hats, cardigan or baby, a going home outfit for baby if you choose
I'm mentally going through my bag which is rather full as I have double the amount of stuff lol.
I also have snuggle toys for their little brother to give them and a gift from them to him. Also packed dummies in case I choose to use them. My friend who breastfed took nipple cream. I'm taking playing cards too.
Don't forget car park money and some change for snacks etc, maybe take a cute grow, blanket and teddy for a cute photo.
Also your other half may appreciate fresh underwear and shirt and toothbrush
I can't think of anything else x

I had to send my partner out as if packed for three days and ended up in labour for three days followed by emergency csection and three day recovery with a baby with jaundice. I would pack an extra bag and leave it in the car as a just in case bag so you don't have to send people on a mad dash to the supermarket
When you've run out of knickers x

Thanks ladies! Some really good ideas I haven't thought of, so I still need to get quite a few more things. It's my first and I don't have many friends with babies so I'm a bit clueless. I've got the basics but I would like some things you've all mentioned. That's a good idea Elfs mummy, I don't think I have enough knickers. So far just a pack of 5. So much to do and only a few weeks left xx

I over packed for my first, so I'm being careful not to do the same again, but do make sure that extra stuff is in a bag somewhere x

I've already decided to pack an extra bag to leave in DH's car. I've seen how randomly long or short people's stays can be!!

My bag is mainly full of baby stuff, I have 8 grows, 8 vests, 20 nappies, 6 hats, 6 cardigans, 2 outfits, 2 blankets, 6 bibs, 4 muslin cloths and then I started on my stuff so I had to take some baby stuff out and I am going to take the changing bag as well x

Don't forget snacks! Cereal bars, dried fruit, chocolates, lucozade, crisps. Hospital food was rubbish so was good to have snacks with me to keep me going x

Vaseline for your nunny because it acts as a barrier with that first pee after birth..... Also put on babies bum before nappy goes on and the meconium poop will wipe much easily because otherwise its like wiping tar off with a cotton ball..... xx

I have done mine and I have packed:

3 nighties
10 pairs of knickers- 5 being disposable
crop top for water birth
lip balm for sore lips using gas and air - had this badly last time
toothbrush
Roll on deodorant for breastfeeding (aerosol gets all over you and tastes nasty for baby)
hair brush
shower gel and face wash
dry shampoo
flip flops for being on the ward
lightweight dressing gown
going home outfit for me
Breast pads and breast shells (shells are far comfier I think!)
maternity pads
nipple cream.

For the baby I have packed:

4 vests
4 baby grows and matching hats lol
10 nappies
wipes
nappy cream
2 swaddle blankets
2 ordinary blankets
cardigan for coming home in case the weather isn't so warm

Don't think I have missed anything! I am going to re pack later. I haven't bought any nursing bras yet and I was told to do it literally a week before I am due but I might do it 2 weeks before I think, and pack a few of those.

I have also bought some nursing tops online and want them to arrive so I can pack 2 of those as well xx

Good point about the deodrant, didn't even think of that!!

I'm looking into getting Tena lady style disposable pants for afterwards as I'm not up for trying to muck about with giant maternity pads without wings, lol, I've been using tampons for AF for over ten years, only ever used pads with wings before that.

I'm also making sure DH packs a change of t-shirt for himself (in case he gets wet from pool, or gets blood etc on his top whilst cutting cord) and also making sure he has a soft zip up hoodie for having skin to skin with baby without being fully shirtless lol.

Don't forget some fresh underpants for him and a toothbrush :) x

I'm looking into getting Tena lady style disposable pants for afterwards as I'm not up for trying to muck about with giant maternity pads without wings, lol, I've been using tampons for AF for over ten years, only ever used pads with wings before that.

I'm also making sure DH packs a change of t-shirt for himself (in case he gets wet from pool, or gets blood etc on his top whilst cutting cord) and also making sure he has a soft zip up hoodie for having skin to skin with baby without being fully shirtless lol.

Mothercare have maternity pads with wings if that's any help :) xx

Is anyone taking a manual breast pump to hosp? Or is that just overkill?

I hated a manual pump before - is there any particular reason that you want to take one? If you plan on breastfeeding don't take one but if you really want to express and feed I guess you could take one? But I am not taking anything to do with feeding other than nursing bras as I will be breast feedingxx

I want to breast feed but thought if I was struggling it might be worth taking.

You should be fine to just feed and they have pumps there if absolutely necessary x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back