Horses!

MissJuly10

Reaction score
Anyone a horse owner/lover?

I started riding when I was 11, went to various yards and onto college to study them etc shared a horse then got married and horse and owner seemed to have disappeared since!

Would LOVE to get back to riding but nervous as TTC and unsure whether it's worth the risk.

:lol:

Me! well not riding atm, but started riding at 10, and wrked with horses professionally from the age of 16, a mixture of teaching/liveries, showing and breeding, things happened in rl so stopped that but had 3 horses of my own, but two years ago at christmas I lost all 3 in 2 weeks, I had to sell my TB mare for financial reasons, (broke my heart but better for her) had two geldings left , Sunbeam was then dignosed with liver failure due to cancer and went down hill fast (he was 35) so had to put him to sleep :( then my other old cob who had arthritis seemed to get worse all of a sudden and went down in the field one morning and couldn't get up and the vet advised he be put to sleep as it wasn't fair opn him, so I lost him then as well :( sort of gave up horses for 3 months then, went to a sales to help a friend sell a horse and a six month old welsh cob colt came in the ring, didn't even see him outside lol wasn't intending to buy a horse, opening bid was £300 so thought what the hell and bid, but no one else bid, so I got him, he is 3 now, the plan was to break him in last april but that was put on hold when I found out i was pregnant, then I MC'd so i thought to myself , ah well i will do him in the summer about July time, but got pregnant again, so thats all on hold now to til after i have the baby, hoping to break him to drive as well as ride, and ofc, baby will learn to ride :lol:

Last edited:
Wow. So sorry to hear your losses, I lost the two horses I shared when I was about 14 years old, within months of each other. The first was a 13.2 welshie who died in his sleep aged 36 and his only companion, a 16.2 TB had to be PTS after recurring laminitis - he just wasn't getting better and was suffering. He died aged 21.

Wooooo, sounds like you've got lots of fun to look forward to both with the new baby and breaking in a horse. I've never broken a horse in before but the idea of buying a foal and bringing it on etc really appeals to me for some odd reason lol.

I've had two offers from people asking if I'd like to share their horses but I'm completely torn as I want to be as relaxed and safe as possible while TTC and horses are unpredictable so I doubt I will be able to bring myself to ride until after having a baby!! And who knows how long that could take? :(

This is Jack not long after I got him, I kept it at home when I first had him as he was a colt, he was in the outdoor school, jumped out and wondered up to the house, he came in through the back door to the kitchen lol, I wondered what the noise was, and it was him, note i went to get camera before I turned him out :lol:

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 11
Lol! What a cool pic! :D I love how he's going straight for the Horse&Hound mag!

I have a 5 year old niece who LOVED coming to see the horses and watch me ride, I'd absolutely love for her to get on a pony, I reckon she'd become addicted! :)

Last edited:
hey!
ive got 3, one andalusian, a big fat (but awesome) cob and a miniature shetland stallion. i breed him, compete the andalusian in dressage and the cob also in dressage. i ran my own livery yard til the person i was renting from sold it, so just had to stick mine on part livery to help me with time etc. i am still riding and 23 weeks pregnant.
I love my little beasts with all my heart, and the miniature cannot wait to have my daughter as his new mummy! hes jet black, so reeeely cute. ill see if i can post some pics now (im a bit rubbish with this whole computer lark, was born to be on the yard lol)
errr not too sure theres too much else to tell!
countrybumpkin is a horse owner too, look out for her!

God dammit i just cannot do this whole uploading thing, just keeps failing, my horses are on my facebook "alexis claire groves" add me if you wish! x

Yay! Another horse lover!

Wow, an andalusian! I've got one on my wishlist! :p

I don't use FB much these days, spend most of my time cleaning the house (we have two naughty Staffies) or on here! :-o

I'm probably just way too paranoid about getting hurt but I guess if I really wanted to go back to riding, I wouldn't feel torn? But then again, I flick through "For Loan" classifieds, swooning away... LOL.

lol i dont think i could survive without the ponies!! i love them all very much and wouldnt know what to do with my time if i didnt have them lol im sure i wont be saying that once baby is here!
its up to you really, ive kept riding because my horses need a lot of exercise really, im still competing as much as poss too, at least twice a month, want to keep my andalusian at a decent level as i wont be able to ride him soon as hes quite wild and dont really want to die!
hes only 5, and needs the work too. the cob on the other hand is great if i just want to go for a plod, as hes a very reliable beast, always well behaved!
i guess just see how it goes, and if you feel you can do it, then do it! im sure loaning would suit quite well, if you just did 3 days a week to start with or something to help someone else out, then at least you can give up if its too much later in pregnancy!
the fun part is going to be getting back on after giving birth haha. x

I used to have an ISH and a cleveland bay cross, but gave them up due to lack of time and money when i had my eldest nearly 11 years ago, was really upset when they went, I have been around horses since i was 8 so thats 21 years now!!! really missing riding atm as gave it up just before xmas last year so that I could afford pressies for the 3 boys and was offered a ride for this year but couldn't take the girl up on her offer as found out i was pregnant again about 3 weeks after I was offered the ride. Unfortunately because I wasn't riding the NF he has now been sold on so I'll be looking for a share horse after I have had this little one. Also gotta look out for a ride for my 6year old boy as he wants to ride, again due to lack of funding atm he hasn't ridden in a few months but he started when he was only 3!! All the boys have ridden and can but he is the only one still wanting to ride.

I can't wait to get back in the saddle next year but thinking I might have to start off slowly again as will need to build up my fitness level again and hopefully at the same time lose the baby weight. xx

thats always a great way to lose the baby weight! defo will come off with the stable work!! x

yeah i'm hoping to drop down to just over 8 and a half stone which is what i always seem to drop to when working with horses, as soon as i stop i can pile on nearly half a stone!! so when i found out i was pg again i weighed in at 9 stone, dread to think wht i weigh now lol

Hey, i have 2 show jumpers and run a private eventing yard and ride for owners xx

But am on maternity leave atm so miss it looooads x

I Was a horse owner but had to give it up when i fell pregnant with my first.

I owned a chestnut TB before and had to have him put to sleep 3 years ago :( i loaned a chestnut mare after that but then fell pregnant.

I miss it so much but have friends who let me ride when i get time.

I go on a equine forum where i have met loads of friends. PM me if you want the link hun x

I have ridden from a very young age, and always had a pony around to ride at home. I have two ponies, luckily only 5'2" so never grow out of ponies and have so much fun with them. I have a connie, who is my main riding pony which i do a little of everything on and the other is a 3 year old Highland, who we have had since being weaned. She will be broken in next spring and hopefully she will show under saddle eventually, once we get her flat work established. I would ideally like to do M&M working hunter classes with her, but we will see.

Up until a few weeks ago i was still riding, but with the weather changing, i have decided that i will not be able to do the normal winter parties, that i will let him have the winter off and no point trying to keep them fit in horrid weather, but will be back on as soon as i can in the New Year, depending on the weather and how my body recovers. Have to also admit, my bump is now getting in the way of the saddle if i do more than just walking (my boy isn't a just walking pony all the time).

I hope to keep my two out 24 / 7 as long as possible, but if this rain carries on they will have to come in at night, which will mean stables to muck out. Normally in at night this time off year, as my boy is clipped out, so he isn't too impressed at the moment. Trying to keep myself fit as possible by swimming and gym so i can cope with mucking the stables out shortly and being pregnant.

I'm a rider too but unfortunately can't afford my own at the mo - me and OH have just bought a house and that kindof came first with baby on the way!! I'm not riding at the mo but i would love to go back to it but after my accident last tues i'm debating whether i will be able to go back (i've broken my ankle in 2 places and had it pinned and plated - baby is still in belly and awaiting its iminent arrival) and don't know whether will be worth the risk as i love jumping!!! Totally gutted!!!! Any tips/ advice?

Best thing to do is ask your physio, I broke my ankle in a fall from a 14hh Fjord pony a couple of years ago, not as badly as yours (no plates etc) but my physio said that if i took it easy when i went back to riding then it would be a good way of building the strength back into my ankle as long as i didn't push it too far ie. no jumping for at least 12 months and if my ankle started to urt then i was to stop the ride and try again another day.

I had to slightly go against my physio with the jumping thing as i needed to do a jumping assessment on 2 horses to complete a qualification but by then my ankle was pretty much back to full strength and the assessor knew about the problem.

Hope you can get back in the saddle even if you have to give up the jumping, I did find that all the while i couldn't jump that I started to really get into dressage xx

Yayyyy lots of horse lovers!

I'm already on 3 equine forums, I can't keep up with all the login names haha! :)

I've been offered a share but it's a big ID at 16.3 and I keep thinking of how I could fall preg at any time and won't know til I test etc, but not sure it's worth the risk.

I love jumping as well but missed a lot of riding due to having 2 surgeries so lost my confidence a bit. I restarted jumping on a horse I shared who was a nice big lad at 16.2 so he flew over them and I knew he could go much further than I was willing at that point so again, lost my confidence a bit.

Hopefully I'll get my own at some point in the future, would love to own my own one day. :)

I am new here, but saw this and had to put something. I have grown up round horses and am lucky enough that I have ridden all shapes and sizes. My family breed dartmoor ponies and we also have a few connies, welsh and other hangers on!
I miss showing so much we had a really quiet season this year due to my top one being out of action and the connie hating hard ground. Roll on 2011 when i want to be back out on my dartie (if the weight comes off) and back in the workers ring!

Oooh Darties! I used to beg my parents for one when I was younger! :)

I do think I've lost my passion a bit, prob because I haven't found the right horse who makes me feel completely safe. Also as I've gotten older I've gotten more cautious and wary - making me nervous to hack out etc! :-o My last hack, the big lad I rode had a few spooks, rears and buggered off with me because he didn't appreciate going last! I got totally wary of him after that and chose not to hack out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back