horseriding in pregnancy?

BumbleTumble

Reaction score
i havnt ridden in a while, because ive been far away from home for so long!

is horseriding ok when you are pregnant?
i know its a risky sport, and i wouldnt dream of riding any of mine, they are all nutters!!!
but an old ploddy riding school horse would be ok right?

i know all horses are totally unpredictable, but i miss it so much, i wouldnt do it if its not recommended though. but i dont know!

I rode up untill I was 6 months with both my boys, but I knew the horses inside out I wouldn't ride any others except my own. As you can see on my pic, she is very patient to put up with a wriggly kid lol. As long as you feel the horse is safe, then I,d go for it.

Last edited:
awwww, she is beautiful, and well behaved by the looks of it!

i wouldnt ride my own even if they were close enough! they wouldnt hurt a fly, but are a bit mental and excitable!

do you think if i went to a yard they would be able to pick out the most suitable horse?
would they even let me ride? i know the health and safety and insurance are a bit mad these days. :s

Thank you, she is very good considering she,s an ex-racer, people think they are mad but the ones I,ve had have been brillient.

I think if you told them you were preg, they wouldn't let you ride, as you said the insurance is getting ridiculous, all the riding schools round here have had to close down. If you can hide it, tell them your a very nervous beginner!! You,ll probably get the laziest plod they've got lol. Just make sure if you do ride tho, if you feel it,s not safe at any point then stop, it,s just not worth the risk.

Last edited:
wow, ex racer! ive heard they are supposed to be a bit skittish, but then they also say chestnut mares are all grumpy, horsey stereotyping!!!

thats a good idea, but then wouldnt i be stuck on a lead rein for ages!!! lol
i dont really mind, i just miss riding horsies!!!

I,ve always had ex-racers coz I like.the fast types, but the ones I get are plods lol, but they all light up when they go to the gallops, or to a big field, they just love a good blast as much as I do, which I think keeps them sane. The mad tb,s I,ve seen are the ones who are bought by people who want a big flashey horse for a cheap price but haven't got the experience to ride it properly, they just put them stronger and stronger bits to hold them back, till the horse just can,t take it anymore. I,ve seen it alot and seen a few good horses ruined coz they weren't allowed to run, which they are bred for and spent the first few years doing.

And didn't think of the leadrein!!

Last edited:
its so sad when people really dont know what to do with horses.
i knew a woman who tugged her horse about so much, the bit damaged the poor horses mouth.
could only have soft feed for ages, and eventually, when they put the bit back in, they put jam on it so the horse would actually take it. very sad.

i could say i am a good rider, but havnt ridden in a long time so would like to start off slowly.
that might work!
the shame of being led!!! lol

it is very sad, you see it alot at shows, especially when they don't win, they just yank them around, like that's gonna help:roll:

I,ve not rode for a year now, and it feels like a lifetime. I lost my very special horse in 06, then last year the yard I was working on sold up and I had to give my girls up coz on money,:cry: we started trying shortly after so I didn't bother looking for another yard to work on, it just took us longer than expected:roll: after this one,s born I,m going to do the BHS exams and work at being an instructor, then eventually get another horse. They have been my passion since I was born lol and will never give them up.
I'm climbing the walls without riding, and would,t mind being on the lead, just no school round here :(, just close.your eyes and picture the beach lol

Last edited:
aww you girls should move to wales, theres loads of horses round here lol. my mum has 4 ponies rangine from a shetland to a couple that are 12 /13hh lovely they are. we moved out here so she could ride them out and not have to walk round the streets of liverpool city on them lol

i LOVE shetlands! they are such cheeky little things!
my step dads family are from Wales, and there are ponies everywhere!!! lol

thats so sad masonowen, im sorry you lost your horse :( i know how devestating it is, they are so much part of the family.

i havnt looked for a yard round here yet, but im sure there must be. thing is, loads of them have closed down because of the bloody insurance.
apparently, if you do go somewhere for lessons, you have to sign a form saying you wont sue them if you fall off or get kicked. i wouldnt even dream of sueing a yard because i got bitten or something!!! obviously, some people would.

I also rode upto 6 months and only stopped because my two are fairly wide and they were destroying my hips lol!! I did have a moment of madness and got back on a few weeks later only to be left in agony all night so after that I stopped for definite xx

A riding school won't let you ride due to insurance ESP as they prob won't know you! I had to stop when I told them gutted as I love it! But I've since broken my ankle (freak accident) nothing to do with horses and I've lost all confidence which is very unlike me as I'd ride whatever they gave me! It's such an expensive sport too but I love it!

Last edited:
As soon as I found out I was pregnant @ 6 Weeks, I decided not to ride. I have 3 of my own, but it's just not worth the risk. Even a quiet reliable horse might slip/trip resulting in you falling off. It's personal choice, so up to you. I even worry that mucking out might result in damaging my baby, so I'm ultra protective. LOL!!!

i think id use pregnancy as an excuse not to muck out! lol
and poo pick the fields, god i hated that!

thing is, my mum stopped riding when she was pregnant with my little sis, after she was born, my mum suddenly lost all her confidence, she was a little nervous anyway, but she was terrified after having my sister.
she doesnt even know why.

im just worried that i wont want to ride again!
i love horses so much, if there was an option to give birth on a horse, i would! (probably would be a bit awkward though) lol!!!

i think id use pregnancy as an excuse not to muck out! lol
and poo pick the fields, god i hated that!

thing is, my mum stopped riding when she was pregnant with my little sis, after she was born, my mum suddenly lost all her confidence, she was a little nervous anyway, but she was terrified after having my sister.
she doesnt even know why.

im just worried that i wont want to ride again!
i love horses so much, if there was an option to give birth on a horse, i would! (probably would be a bit awkward though) lol!!!

I lost my confidence a bit when i first got back on a horse after having the boys, i was the one who'd get on the horses no one else would, but when you have a child to think about it makes you think twice lol After a little while i got my confidence back, and made sure i never put myself in a dangerous situation.

aww you girls should move to wales, theres loads of horses round here lol. my mum has 4 ponies rangine from a shetland to a couple that are 12 /13hh lovely they are. we moved out here so she could ride them out and not have to walk round the streets of liverpool city on them lol

Wales is somewhere i,ve always wanted to live. I,ve been to a couple of competitions there, and stayed with mates and it looks like it has some great riding spots. We are running out of off-road riding too, It,s really frustrating, some of the drivers are plain idiots!! I like the look of the Newforest too and when we can afford it we gonna look for a house either there or in wales. If we can find one that is lol

I also miss riding but I just think the risk is too much, even the laziest of horses can trip or fall, that's why i've not bothered but deffo want to get back into it after baby is here, probably wont even be able to get on one now lol xx

I wouldn't ride mine either she's only 4 and is still very Green, I was told not to ride at all because it can cause the placenta to break away and it can cause misscariage that's without the other risks of falling off etc. Its up to you though. Xxx

hmmm, think i may put the riding on hold then!

especially with all these physical health problems that are appearing with each doctors appointment!
lol!

if there is a yard close enough, i think i may just go and pat the horses. i miss that horsey smell!

I fell off my horse at 5 weeks, she was an ex-racer, it was really windy and she took off across the arena, bucked, I flew forward she bucked again and off I popped (I have fallen off her 3 times in nearly 6 years, normally have a very sticky bum). I landed on my hip. I totally freaked out and went straight to a&e. They checked me over and thankfully all ok (though nothing they could do anyway if I hadn't have been). After that hubby wouldn't let me ride, just not worth risk, you would never forgive yourself if something did happen.

I still went up everyday to see her, muck out, poo pick etc (was still walking down to her field at over 39 weeks, just couldn't push the wheelbarrow etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back