horse riding and pregnancy

aimz84

Reaction score
Hi. Im 14 weeks preg. And I volunteer at a Riding school. The lady i work with has offered to take me out for a ride, its been a while since Ive ridden so I know i have to be fareful so she is going to let me ride the best horse tgere, she is slow and calm, and just a darling.

Who else has ridden duribg pregnancy, what did u do to keep safe, and at what stage did u stop riding.

I miss it so much but I know that the lady I work with wouldnt put me on an unsafe horse. As she knows Im preg. Xx

tia xx

I stopped at 4 months but I was a very experienced rider on a horse that I knew very well (had been riding him for 3 years). As soon as I found out I stopped riding in the roads and jumping. I'd just take him for a gentle ride round the farm.

I found it good to relax but also there is a huge risk involved, it was always at the back of my mind, so didn't enjoy it as much as I used to.

Personally, if I were in your position I don't think I'd risk it, if you don't ride much and don't know the horse it might be best to wait until after baby arrives.

Falling isn't the only risk in horse riding during pregnancy, there is also a risk to he placenta. Also if you have t been riding regularly I would stay away from it. I wouldn't be taking the risk

Thankyou.
I have been in two minds about it.
I prob will wait til after its born. As if anything like ny first, I ballooned quite quickly.

Thanks guys. Will need to make it a regular thing once its here i think. Any excuse to get back into it. X

Both my sister & I are experienced horse owners/riders. I didn't ride when pregnant but I gave up riding 4 years ago due to injury so didn't bother when pregnant but my sister rode until she was 8 months, only stopped because she physically couldn't get on or off safely anymore- but she was back in the saddle within 3 weeks of having him!

I rode 4/5 times a week until I was 25 weeks with my last pregnancy. I'm not sure I'd ride while pregnant of I hadn't ridden for a while. The advice midwives give is to carry on with any exercise you are used to x

I gave up riding as soon as I found out and loaned my horses out to take away any urge to want to ride. My horse was lovely but wasn't worth the risk. I can't wait to get him back!

I rode until 8 months pregnant with my daughter and got back on after 5 weeks. I stopped hacking at around 6 months and the last two months was just schooling in walk/trot. I have owned my horse for 8 years, so know her inside/out and she is very sensible and usually ride her around 4-6 times a week, I reduced the frequency to around 2-3 days, stopped cantering at 4/5 months and stopped jumping/funrides at 3 months. I had a friend hack her out 1-2 times a week during my pregnancy and afterwards (she still rides her now once a week - 3 years later!)

I am still riding now (9 weeks pregnant with twins), and intend on riding until I feel I don't want to anymore. However I do feel different about it this time round, I do feel more fearful of falling off (never had that fear last time, and touch wood haven't fallen off for years!), so I have already reduced what I am doing - still riding as often as I can but not cantering much on hacks and not working so hard in the school, wont be jumping again. I am just keeping my horse ticking over for now until its common knowledge that I am pregnant (in around a month or so). My friend is still riding her and I am hoping she will start having some lessons on her as well over the summer, as I have a feeling I think I will stop riding by 5 months this time (I will be bigger with twins anyway!). I envisage being out of the saddle around 6 months this time - hopefully my friend will ride her through that time, but if not I don't mind her just being turned away this time round (horse is 15 now so a break wouldn't be a bad thing for her).

Personally i think if you are not a frequent rider prior to pregnancy then I wouldn't be getting on when pregnant. Wait until after baby comes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back