Horrible Diabetic clinic

Sunshine_1

Reaction score
After my scan on Tuesday, the midwife I saw after was concerned I hadn't had a Diabetic clinic appointment yet and phoned for me to be fitted on to the end of the clinic on Wednesday.

I am sure it was just my clinic and hopefully just because I was making them stay late and they wanted to go home but it was the WORST experience of my pregnancy by far.

My Mum wasn't allowed to come in with me, even though I was so nervous. My daughter is type 1 diabetic, and when I asked if I could use my own finger lancet, I was told no, I said 'Oh OK, I thought I'd be able to as my daughter uses hers for her HBA1C test' and she said " Well you're not in children's clinic anymore love"....when I said some thing about daughter being Diabetic she said "Well your type 2 and you can't catch type 1 of her and she can't catch type 2 off you, her's is developed and yours is LIFESTYLE induced"....then she pierced the pad of my thumb and squeezed a s*** load of blood from it, pierced it again and carried on, my poor thumb is black with bruise :sad:

Anyway, when I eventually left that room, I was taken to see the Consultant (not obstetrician, the diabetic consultant), before going in, the nurse asked what meter I was using, I said, my old one (I calibrate it often to make sure it's working fine) and because I wasn't using *Their* meter, the consultant wouldn't even look at my blood sugar readings, then proceeded to give me a lecture about not eating cakes, chocolate, sweets etc, etc.(with me just whispering I know, and I don't)

So the Nurse took me in a room to get my new meter, it's the version down from my daughters, and she then proceeded to tell me how to use it (I have to use my daughters in the dark!!) and how to fill in a perfectly self explanatory blood sugar diary (only difference between it and a normal one is you fill it in for your week of pregnancy), and told me to cut down on my carbs.

I had no chance to tell them about my IBS and my allergies which affect everything I eat either.

I came out of there and cried my eyes out. I am now paranoid about eating anything, and I had my daughter in hospital for the night last night making eating even harder. I have been starving and feeling sick all day today and feeling so run down and upset. I am also feeling totally freaked out and paranoid because I can't get my blood sugars down and I am scared I'm damaging the baby, but they wouldn't look at my blood sugar readings and do something to help.

I am sorry about the rant, but I am so worked up and stressed and terrified of going back next week and being treated like that again. I'm getting upset just writing all this out. I just don't know what to do?

Aww hunni this is not good for you :( I hate it when they just don't listen! I would carry on taking your readings as normal, and keep writing them down! Does your daughter check her level after one or two hours?? My diabetic team liked a fasting reading first thing, then a reading before and two hours after each meal!

I would ring up the diabetic clinic at your hospital or demand to be put through to a diabetic midwives or someone that can help! You need to have your levels looked at as you *may* need medication!! It's appalling that they'd let you walk out of there likd that :(

I'm assuming because your daughter is type 1 you know the kinds of foods to avoid??

I'm here of you fancy a rant! I had insulin controlled gestational diabetes now a borderline type 2 :( xxx

Ps one thing you defo shouldn't do is not eat :( I was put on a restricted carb diet by the hospital dietician but was advised I still need to eat often. Take care of yourself hunni xxx

My daughter just needs to test before each meal, unless she's in hospital when they get her to do a post meal test too. I have just been told to test before each meal.

I know what foods to avoid, I've been type 2 for about 3 and half years and my daughter type 1 for 2 years, my cousin was also type 1 (he died last year). Avoiding food is so hard when your diet is so limited due to IBS and allergies anyway though, but they never gave me a chance to say that!

I know I'm only 6 weeks gone (though someone had told them 5 and they were determined that was the case), but this is the most important time to keep my sugars down for the baby's development, I was horrified that they just weren't interested in how things were going so far and were ust interested in treating me like I was a new patient who knew nothing, and in the one womans case, like I was wrong to be pregnant and diabetic.

Thanks for your support though x

Hey hun my sugars were climbing at 5 weeks and i went on metforim at 8 weeks don't worry too much about the sugar.s i have eaten tonnes of sugary food during this pregnancy and baby is fine and not too big either at the moment x

36 weeks pregnant. Team blue!

*hugs* hun. Shocking the way the treated you. I'm surprised they've not put you on metformin!

*hugs* hun. Shocking the way the treated you. I'm surprised they've not put you on metformin!

I'm already on Metformin hun, I've been on it since I was diagnosed. In some ways that was what really annoyed me, because it's not as if I'm new to Diabeties, I know what to eat and what to avoid, I know it can' be caught etc etc, but they were treating me like I knew nothing and was really thick, and shouldn't be pregnant because I was Diabetic.......ahh enough ranting, I can't let them get me down :wall2:,I should be enjoying my pregnancy.

Awww hun that's even worse then to treat you like that *huggles* how many tablets a day you take? They could at least talk about your dosage and if you needed to up it or not (if your not at highest dose all ready)

*kicks em up the butt*

There ya go ;)

Thank goodness today was a different story, the woman who scared me so much last week was a little more pleasant.

I saw the obstetrician and she was absolutely lovely, understand and respectful that I've been dealing with my own and my daughters diabetes long enough to have some knowledge, she's left me off Insulin for another week to see if my sugars alter after seeing the dietician today. She also sorted out my issues with pregnancy vitamins :D

The dietician was also great, so understanding that I'm also dealing with food allergies and IBS as well as the Diabetes, and gave me some advice that seemed to be the total opposite to what I had the last week from the scary gang.

I had rice for lunch when I got home, which I was told I can have (LowGI), and already feel better for a nice full belly and so much less stress about my food.

Got to go again next week, but at least I feel like they only have the baby's AND my best wishes in mind now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back