hoping HV will help.

twinkle90

Reaction score
I'm really not coping with newborns colic. It's dragging me down entirely. I've just broke down crying in front of OH. He's taken the newborn out so see if that will settle her. He's texting me saying she's crying non stop. He's out finding infacol of colief or bottles. I've tried gripe water and anti colic cow and gate milk. She's 8 weeks. When does this stop. She's being crying non stop since 8 this morning. And it's still crying on!!!

Do you hold her upright? Feed her upright? Is she taking in air when she feeds? Have you had her checked for tongue tie? It mostly affects breastfed babies but if it's affecting her tongue movement it could be causing her to swallow air when she feeds.

Try to avoid lying her down as much as possible in the day, also it could possibly be 'silent reflux' so maybe speak to the HV or GP about that?
Has she recently had her vaccines? Could the crying be after that?

Good luck x

I hold her upriggt as much as possibly comfortable for her. I haven't checked for tongue tie. Surely that would be effected her from the start right? I'll ask the HV. She has her jabs on wednesday so it's not that.

I was told to just use infocol and nothing else. I changed to hipp organic milk after trying so much. But it does take a week or so to make a difference. My little boy would start at 7pm every night. We swapped bottles milk an used infocol and after a week or so it did help. It's a matter or perseverance it allow it to work. Which is really hard. Definitely speak to your HV tho im sure she will know what's best to recommend. I really do feel for u because it was a tough time for us. Hope u find something that works x

Hi, sorry to hear you're having a tough time, I remember it being awful. Colic goes by about 13 weeks. We found baby tummy massage helped relieve the symptoms. Xx

Yes the health visitor can help getting referrals in place or requesting stool samples. I know a girl who recently just went into a&e to see the paediatrician after she was fobbed off at the gp and her child had a chest infection and tonsillitis. I mean if you're really desperate that could be an option. Tongue tie is a hit and miss in who can spot that. I think having read about the grazing and constant crying I'd more likely to think silent reflux as it might be painful to drink. Tbh I would just ring the midwives on the 24h number they give you upon discharge they might just be able to put you into contact with someone more urgently if not give you advise based upon what you tell them what you've tried so far.

I know it's really awful when you're going through this but it honestly does pass. I found tummy massage really helped. I really didn't feel infacol helped so in the end we just had to ride it out then it was gone. I remember crying in frustration too, it really is a hard time. I hope you find something to help x

I was battling with what I thought was colic around the 7week mar, turns out it was silent reflux and the infacol, coleif didnt help.

Switching milk did, baby massage, and spacing out feeds helped.

Hope you get some resolution.

xxxx

I'm struggling today too, my OH has just told me he feels like he needs a holiday from us because of our 6 week old crying so much. I don't know if it's colic, I thought it was reflux and was given gaviscon which seems to have calmed down his sickness - he was puking a lot all day. But OH thinks it's made his crying worse - it's certainly constipated him a bit. Before the gaviscon I used infacol which made his wind come up a lot easier but I felt was making him throw up more. He is breastfed. Any one got any pearls of wisdom as my poor OH is not coping with this and going to work plus it waking up out 16 month old daughter at night x

My saviour in all of this has been the bath- I don't know why but it seems to work. He loves water anyway so it's a good way to distract him from his tummy ache, then when we get him out and walk up and down with him (I think this is important, rather than just wrapping him in a towel and lying him down) he does 3 or 4 huge burps and is then much better.

I swear on anti colic bottles. And sign up for a baby massage class! They give such good techniques to bring up wind and baby loves being relaxed and pampered x

They've stopped baby massage in my area. I'm so peed off. Using anti colic bottles and dentinox and gripe water. Seems to have calmed her slightly. She still cries and nothing sooths her but we've had a couple of quiet days xx

Been back to doctor today as Gavsicon is working but constipating him. We are all sure he he reflux now and nothing else but they want me to continue using gaviscon but give him a laxative every day to help him go to the toilet. I hate the idea of giving him more things to combat a side effect but they refused to give me anything else x

I'm the same as russellmuscle we thought my lo had colic and tried all the usual infacol etc and nothing worked. It was silent reflux (basically baby heartburn) and for my lo he screamed loads mostly when taking his bottle and for ages afterwards. We tried gaviscon, it helped a bit but gave him terrible constipation. We then were prescribed renitidine which helped but problems were still there. Eventually got omeprezole and that sorted it although it took a good month or so. We had to really push our GP for help. your lo may grow out of it by 12 weeks if it is colic but if not it's worth asking your GP about silent reflux as that's what it sounds like to me. I'm not a doctor though obviously.

It's soul destroying hearing that screaming all day long I feel for you I really do. Big hugs and please take breaks when you can and take offers of any help. Good luck xx

I'm starting to think my LO has colic but also silent reflux so I'm not nudging from the doctors until they give me gaviscon or something else to suggest or something. It's frustrating and is actually putting a strain on the relationship.

I found infacol helped and it probably took a good week to settle in so it built up in his system. We also ended up with Nuk bottles.

Only other thing I could add is, do you have one end of her mattress raised? c

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back