HomeSwapper

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by rainbow.nicola, Jun 14, 2013.

1. rainbow.nicola

rainbow.nicola Well-Known Member

So, I applied a wee while ago for a two bedroom flat with my housing association. They send me a letter with my points and asking for proof of pregnancy. The first midwife I spoke to said that I wouldn't get a letter until after my 12 weeks then I asked yesterday and the midwife said I wouldn't get moved until after the baby was born (ridiculous rubbish). I phoned the housing and they said I could just take my notes in and they can scan the first page so that's done. They also suggested I joined HomeSwapper and last night I found a two bedroom right on the next street and the person is looking for a one bedroom around this area. I text them today so IMpatiently waiting for a reply. Pleasepleaseplease. :oooo:

2. Lou1103

Lou1103 Well-Known Member

Good luck xxx

3. rainbow.nicola

Thank you! Just want to move and start getting everything sorted. :)

4. Lou1103

Lou1103 Well-Known Member

Yeah it will take a lot of stress off when its sorted xxx

5. rainbow.nicola

The two bedroom flat man text me back, he doesn't want to stay in the area. I also text about a semi-detached 2 bed house but not hoping for much from that. Ah well. Fx the housing find me something soon.

6. Shell99

Shell99 Well-Known Member

hiya

just wondering what the situation is with bedroom allocation for a baby that's not yet here :)

I have a two bed place atm and my 8 year old (well almost 8) has the other room and we are obviously in the other. I found an exchange around the corner three bed wanting two local etc. I will call the Housing association after the weekend but just wondered what your exp had been?

7. MrsS143

MrsS143 Well-Known Member

It depends on sex of the baby how long they can share a room for etc x

8. Mummy2toddler

Mummy2toddler Well-Known Member

I also after with mrsS it depends what sex you have as they say they can share until a certain age. When I was pregnant previously ( miscarriage) and still living with my parents I was told they wouldn't help me until I was about 20 weeks pregnant to get somewhere even though I had my son too but they didn't count my second pregnancy until then. That was 2 years ago though and I'm sure most areas are different rules etc. it's definitely worth trying :) xx

9. Shell99

Interesting..... Ill post tomo once I've spoke to them.

I mean I'm in no doubt they wouldn't proactively rehouse me! He'll no! I mean two bedrooms.... I'd have to have like another ten kids first (joke!)

But seeing as its an exchange even if it's deemed as under occupied some places allow you to under occupy by no more than one room (well who knows n as mentioned I guess area to area is different) we'll see tomo fingers crossed xx

10. MrsS143

You can under occupy but til baby comes (well, if you get DSS anyway) you'd need to pay the extra % in rent until they arrive

11. rainbow.nicola

Apparently someone told me that you can claim for a discretionary or something like that for the baby's room, maybe if you're on benefit but because my OH is moving in we will just pay the full rent anyway. Around here I think you can have two children sharing until 10 years old. I found all the information about allocation on my housing association website for it. Hope this helps :) x

12. MrsS143

I think its 2 mixed sex until oldest reaches 8, 2 same sex until 14
    its a joke really

13. rainbow.nicola

Must be different in Scotland

How many bedrooms can I get housing benefit for?

These ‘under occupancy’ changes mean that you can only claim housing benefit for one bedroom for each of these people who live in your home:

a couple
    an adult
    two children of the same sex
    two children under 10
    any other child
    a non-resident carer providing overnight care.
    This is the same as for people claiming housing benefit in the private sector. However, the rules for people under 35 claiming housing benefit and the limit on the number of bedrooms you can claim for won’t apply to council and housing association tenants.

Here's Englands -

How many bedrooms can you claim housing benefit for?

From April 2013, new rules on 'under occupancy' mean that you can only claim housing benefit for:

one bedroom for a couple
    one bedroom for a person aged 16 or over
    one bedroom for two children aged under 16 of the same sex
    one bedroom for two children aged under 10 (boys and girls are expected to share a room)
    one bedroom for any other child
    one extra bedroom if you or your partner needs an overnight carer to stay.
    Children who don’t normally live with you are not included in the calculation of the number of bedrooms. If you share the care of a child, the child is counted as living in the home of the person who gets child benefit for them.

14. rainbow.nicola

Oh also just remembered, My uncle is living alone and in a 2 bedroom property, when he went to the housing to talk to them about it they told him that they have applied everyone in the same situation to receive Discretionary housing payments (DHP) for the remainder for their rent, I don't know if everyone will get it mind you because that would defeat the purpose of the bedroom tax I guess?

15. Shell99

So, I called this morning- my housing association days you can under occupy by no more than one bedroom so I can potentially take this place.

I would be hit with the bedroom tax but as I work I only receive £6 per week housing benefit so I'd just lose that plus the extra rent which I doubt will be very much

So the ladies ringing this afternoon to schedule me viewing her place (seems kinda too quick n good to be true! I mean less than a week after bfp I take a look n find something immediately! Hmmmm maybe!)