Homebirths

bex

Reaction score
Was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on homebirths. The pros and cons? I have been planning a homebirth as my midwife is all for them... this is my first baby and as the time comes nearer (I'm 28 weeks tomorrow) I'm starting to panic a little... any thoughts?...

Bex,

I would love a homebirth myself due to the fact that you are in your own comfortable environment, no medical equipment, you keep a little bit more dignity etc..... BUT...... Due to the fact this is my first baby, I want to be in the hospital environment where I have the reassurance that if something went wrong, it is only a floor up to theatre and they could get my little angel out, safely. The traffic where I live is a nightmare, so I would be worried that if I had a homebirth and they had to transfer me to hospital, it would take too long. Also, if I can't handle the pain, I know that in hospital you have more options of pain killers close by!!

If all goes well with my first (in four weeks), I will definately consider a homebirth for my second. Where I know what to expect from the whole birth experience.

Good luck in whatever choice you make!!

Julia xx

my advice tlk to kerry PM her but she had a loverly home birth and if i had her story before i had B would have probably tried to go for one myself :D

I think a homebirth would be lovely. You should definatelty go for it. I wanted one but my first was a c section so this one will have to be in hospital too.
Tell your midwife about any concerns you have and with her support you will get through it.
Good luck

Laura

Thank you for your replies.

Hmmm, really not sure what to do. I really want to stick to original plan and all being well I'm sure I will BUT sooo scared! I hate hospitals and would love to think I can do it at home.. my main fears are that if there were any probs with the baby I will be risking it by needing a transfer to hospital but my midwife assures me she has full resusitation kit etc with her, pain relief... would love to think I can do it with just gas and air and pethadine if needed but will I desp want an epidural?! Also I am quite a small frame and frightened the baby may not fit out?!!! So hard to decide on something you have no experience of.

Hi Bex,
I understand your concerns about the baby not getting out. Im 5ft 0 and had a 9lb baby. They knew quite early on by the dilation and strength of my contractions that she wouldnt come out and there was a lot of time before they knew and I got my section. Jessica was not in any danger, she just wouldnt come out. Also, I think that being in hospital slowed down my labour and I think had I been at home it may have been different. Think of it this way, if you are at home and dont like it you can go to hospital but if you are in hospital and change your mind and want to go home it will be a bit harder. :D
Good luck and remember its your birth, you go for it.
p.s have you looked into hypnobirthing? I think it sounds really great.

The size thing is something I'm going to discuss with my midwife tomorrow, I went for a 4d scan at the weekend and they estimated my babies weight at 2Ib15 and I was 27.4 weeks... already sounds mighty big to me?! I'm not sure how accurate theses estimates are though? My partner has a daughter and she weighed over 10Ib when she was born, his mother was 11Ib, big babies run in his family!

I have looked into hypnobirthing and will be starting a course on that in next few weeks... I also think it sounds great and def worth a try, I'll let you know how it goes!

ooo, please let me know how the hypnobirthing courses go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back