Home schooling

inky

Reaction score
I know it's a little early to be thinking about this, but OH and I have locked horns lol!! Basically, OH wants our kids to be home schooled but I'm not keen. OH feels schools brainwash our children and don't provide enough quality teaching or the chance for learning to be explored. I think that regardless of the education side of things (which is obviously very important), that the social side of mixing with peers is important to aid an independent life in the future.

Having looked at the crap stats for our local schools, and not having the money for a private education, I thought I should at least find out as much about it as I can and see what other peoples opinions are before I either put my foot down and say no, or relent and tell him I will consider it.

So, does anyone here home school their children? Or have any experience of it at all? Any other strong opinons out there? Thanks ladies!

Monty never left my side 24 hours a day till he started school he and he turned into a different child within a few months, out going, independent I think it has really helped him being away from me and being on his own with other adults and children.
I always get some mornings he dosnt want to go but thyas only the getting out of bed part, I could imagine no Xmas school plays, or sports days or disco's.

When monty started nursery I was really shocked at how much work they do, he has action words and you do the action to the work so you showed him the word clap then clapped your hands, I thought it wouldn't work when he left nursery at 4 he could not only read but also spell 50 action words I was amazed I couldn't of lernt him
What they had.

I wouldn't home school myself

Please don't take offence at all but I think home schooling is very strange. I think its unhealthy for a child to be at home with their parents all the time. No school is perfect but like you say the social side is hugely beneficial.
Plus home schooling would be a lot of work, especially if your oh wanted to cover the while curriculum. What about school but with extra tuition?

Last edited:
No offence taken pinkymum, like I said it's OH who wants to home school not me, and lanny you're right - I always pictured myself going to school plays etc etc. So far I'm leaning towards fighting him on it - at the end of the day, he does the money and I do the kids, he's just so anti establishment (about everything, not just schools!) I'm going to have to fight my corner :)

theres defo some home schooled kids on here cos i remember a VERY heated debate pmsl!!

I personally wouldnt home school either because i feel ive turned out ok gonig to school and i think parents have a much biggerr influence on kids than school , also the schools here (we dont have private where im from) are AMAZING , the schools where i love the majority have massively good grades and 'special units' for slower kids also , and the rate of grammar and university are pretty high xx

I think if the schools here were better then it wouldn't even be an issue! Also I was in 2 minds about whether or not to ask the question in case it kicked anything off.... I'm sure we can keep it nice tho :petal:

I would personally never homeschool my LO but at the same time, I can't see a problem with it. I went to college with a girl who was homeschooled with her brothers and sisters and she chose to go to college and then uni and she said she loved it and never felt like she'd missed out on anything. She had like 5 brothers and sisters though so if you're going to do it then make a little brood of children :)

Ive already started looking at schools (yes, just a tad premature!) but I hated my school because I live in a small town with zero culture and everyone is cut from the same mould and Id rather Paige didn't go there.

This is totally relevant to me at the moment as my daughter is starting school in September and we have had a nightmare but luckily it's all worked out for the best!

Our immediately local schools are poor, or the stats and reports are poor. They are next to an area of high depravation although we live in a large family home in a nice tree lined neighbourhood. I wanted my daughter to go to a catholic school and unfortunately what happened was the council didnt give her a place at any of the 3 schools we applied for. I cried my heart out because I had done so much research and I was happy for her to go any of those 3 so I had to effectively start again. She was offered a place at what I would of classed as an inadequate school and it wasn't even catholic. I went to have a look and actually I was impressed by their approach to teaching and how they provided opportunities for the children to learn. Please don't write off a school just from stats, you must go and visit and see what you think. You can see how the children react to their environment etc and I was pleasantly surprised. Although, for me a catholic environment was too important. The teacher that gave us the tour of that school was catholic herself and she actually said it would be a culture shock and probably not what we would want for our daughter.

They have since been Ofsted inspected and have vastly improved in the last few years. They have also had much investment as they we failing but they certainly aren't now. They children get access to the best and most up to date of every kind of resource you can think of.

I managed to do some more in depth research and found out that the council don't allocate 30 places per class for some of the catholic schools, they actually only allocate 25 places so immediately I knew they could accommodate her as they legally had capacity. I emailed the council to inform them of this and within 3 days she was offered a place at 2 excellent catholic school. We actually had a choice!!

We went to see both and actually both were fabulous schools and their stats are brilliant. I would have an open mind because actually the school system in this country is very good and I don't think home schooling can offer children the same opportunities. We considered it briefly as well as private schooling but really I don't feel it is necessary, thats IMHO. Comparing this school she is going to to the local private primary school and the difference is negligible. It's just the class sizes are smaller, only by a couple of children though. I found private schooling a little too much for my daughter. As they grow and their personalities develop you will get more of an idea about how they would fit it and what they need.

I agree with the other girls that home schooling could be detrimental in terms of social development. Has your OH thought about what would happen for his secondary education also? I think your little one would find it difficult to cope if he went from home schooling into mainstream education, unless the plan was to continue at home. Just a few things to consider...

I personally just feel that the social element of school is just as important and I think this determines the people we become and forms wonderful memories and experiences. Good luck with everything as I understand it's such a difficult decision xxxx

Last edited:
i personally wouldnt homeschool but i dont think theres anything wrong with it. I think that its good for children to learn independance at school, to meet other lil children and learn how to interact appropraitely with them anf also how to behave in relation to other people who are older, different cultures, beliefs,authority figures etc....

I also think its really healthy for children and parents that they dont spend 24/7 with each other. Id be really scared id be teaching my children wrong so to speak as well.

Hope thats ok, SOphie x

I don't think I would have the confidence or knowledge to home school! My 14 year old daughter comes home wanting help with homework and these days I haven't got a clue esp maths! I also agree with the others that it's great for children socially as well. Don't worry too much about stats children will still do well if they also get backing at home too, I've always done things like reading, writing, crafts etc at home too and despite not going to the best schools my daughter has always done really well.

Im all for home schooling!

DD whos now 17 was to be privately educated from aged 4 but after looking around and thouroughly researching private education, we decided against it till she was 11.

So until that age she was educated in the best school in our area from 4 till 11 both in a social aspect and from an acedemic point of view. Excellent reports and in a very afluent part of the area in a lovely village etc etc etc! Excelled in everything and was part of the gifted and talented minority....great we thought!

So aged 11 she had place at a very good all girls private school where we were sure she would blossom even more!

A few weeks before the summer holidays she started getting really upset and in the end begged us not to have to go to her new school and be allowed to go to the follow on school from where she had been since aged 4...
After lots of humming and harrring we relented thinking well shes excelled so far in the local school, surely she will continue to excell and be happy with the children shes grown up with....WRONG!

3 weeks into the new term she was bullied...she told me and I had it nipped in the bud immediately...or so I thought....3 years later it was still going on to the point where she ended up in hopsital.

I had everyone I could think of in our education dept, goveners, parent goveners involved and after getting nowhere, we decided to pull her out of school and home school her...something looking back I wish I had done earlier or made her keep her place in private school however I obviously cant say it wouldnt have happened there too!

Getting back to home schooling tho, there are some fantastic support groups both nationally and locally for parents and children who are home schooled and study groups that meet up regularly to take part in field trips etc etc

Children can still develop well socially, emotionally and accedemically without being in a traditional school enviroment and its definately something we will consider for Matilda too along with private education again only this time if we decide to go private we will stick with that decision.

Its not for everyone but its not something to be ruled out either lol....xxx

Last edited:
I will definitely be putting Odhrán into nursery and school, in fact the same primary school that I went too, when the time comes for him to choose there are many secondary and grammar schools for him to go to.. I don't think I would be able to offer what our schools can, we're not just talking abc's but growing up and learning algebra, science, I just about knew it in school and I wouldn't be confident enough to teach it to him.. I loved school, the trips, the plays, the fun in the playground.. The list goes on xx

Yeah I have to agree with you there FM2B I loved it when DD was small and we watched naticity plays etc etc...there's pros and cons with both options and in all fairness if DD hadnt of been bullied I would prob not be in support of home schooling as much as I am.

Also when you home school there is no curriculum that you have to stick to its basically what you class as educational although you do have to show that you are educating them to a certain standard and level which I think is absolutely necessary.

xxx

:hug: I didn't know your DD had such a rough time, I'm sure it was very hard for you all, and would probably be a big supporter if I was in your shoes. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with home schooling, but I don't think I would be cut out for it, and I would be worried incase there was something I didn't understand, then how would I be able to teach Odhrán properly x

Yeah its totally scarred her..shes not enjoying 6th form and hates any form of teaching enviroment...hopefully that will change in time as she gets older but for now shes doing fine. Shes turned into a lovely young lady who is doing well and I suppose as parents thats all we can wish for.

Yeah I know what you mean about not feeling confident enough to teach them what youthink they need to know but a lot of it is alternative teaching and life skills etc etc....

I didnt find it too difficult as DD was doing her GCSE's so Id been doing lots of revision with her anyway and I had a private tutor for her to do extra hours to ensure she was doing what was necessary to get her through her exams and thankfully she did really well in them.

It was a hard decision tho and not one we took lightly or quickly to pull her out of school but one I dont regret at all...maybe thing will be different with Matilda when the time comes who knows....

I loved school and cant imagine having grown up being home schooled but wayyyyyyyyy back then things were sooo different lol and I was alittle swat too so that helped lol!

School should be full of fun memories and good times for our children, sadly for my DD it was filled with terror, fear and bad memories xxx

Agree with you 100%, school shouldn't be a place you dread to go to (except for a Monday morning when you are a teenager zzzz)

Must admit I was quite the swat too until I was about 14, being a swat was easier than being a trouble maker :lol: x

I didn't enjoy senior school and was bullied, so kept an open mind to home schooling, but having said that, even though I consider myself, fairly inteligent , resonable all rounder, I would really struggle to teach some subjects beyond a certain point. I think It's only fair to allow my kids the chance to be better than I would and not limit them to my existing knowledge. I expect home schooling would lead you to learn alongside your kids, but would this give them the chance to really excel?

when I looked into it, they did have lovely centres where you can go as a family for the day to have your lessons, along with other families or kids, so they mingle, but at a cost for use.

some kids here are home schooled, and they go to my kids cub/scouts pack, they have every badge completed and are winning all sorts of scout awards fokr it, I just can't get through the badges as quick, but I expect they are doing it as part of their learning. It does seem strange when I see them all together in town in the daytime tho, instead of at school - I guess they run there own timetable and breaks.

Can I ask if home schooled as your OH wishes , is he planning to give up work to be the teacher, or planning you to? It really doesn't sound an easy job, that could help your case?

Last edited:
Hii JJ Mum! Long time no see, good to see you x

Can I ask if home schooled as your OH wishes , is he planning to give up work to be the teacher, or planning you to? It really doesn't sound an easy job, that could help your case?

we haven't got as far as discussing who would do the schooling but I imagine it would be me as I've decided not to go back to work. To be honest the teaching side of things doesn't phase me too much, without wanting to blow my own trumpet, I did well at school, got all my gcse's, a-levels and have both degree and post-graduate qualifications.

I was actually talking to my mom about this over the weekend, because I didn't enjoy school either, not because of bullying, I just found it so boring that I didn't pay attention in class, and always felt held back by other students. God, I sound like such a know-it-all lol! My mom then turned round and surprised me by saying she wished she had never sent me to school and that she's sure that she could have done a better job herself. She reminded me that although I had friends in school, most of my extra curricular activities didn't involve my school friends, and that a child can get just as much socially as long as the parents put the effort in to take the child to activity clubs etc.

I'm now feeling very confused about the whole thing lol!

Thank you for your feedback wilma, I'm sorry to hear that your daughter had such a terrible time at school, even though LO isn't even 1 yet, I've already started to worry about bullying on occasion because I remember how horrendous some of things the bullys in my school did to some people day in, day out, and I can't imagine how hard that must be for the whole family. It definitely sounds like it was right decision to take your daughter out of school, I would have done the same for sure!

Inky I feel exactly like your mam and sometimes wish id home schooled her from the start but we live and learn ehh!!! Im sure when the time comes you will make the right decision for you and your LO xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back