Home birth with siblings involved?

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by sharonvardy, Jul 12, 2005.

1. sharonvardy

sharonvardy Active Member

Hello, I am 12 weeks pregnant and considering a home birth.
    This is my fifth baby and i have had no complications with others.
    The midwife seems agreeable but my mum and others have said it will scare my younger children.
    they are
    16, 11, 6 and 4.
    I have showed the 6 and 4 year old videos of babys being born and the 11 year old is very excited about it. The 16 year old is a typical teenager and he doesn't give a monkeys what I do!. I can be quite vocal in my labours and don't want to scare the little ones but I also think it would be a wonderful experience for them..
    Anyone got any advice, Thanks, Sharon

2. -Cat-

-Cat- Well-Known Member

Diffucult decision that. Considering a lot of men find it distressing to see their partner in pain during childbirth is may well upset your younger children to witness it. Then you will have to worry about dealing with an upset child as well as contractions! Are you friendly with your neighbours? perhaps then you could see how things go and if they become distressed the could go next door till its over. or have a friend or family member to come over and entertain them upstairs so they can be arround immeditly after the baby is born?

3. kelly_chunn

kelly_chunn Well-Known Member

i had a home birth wiv my 2nd, my older one was only 2 and half years, so he was taken out when i went into full labour. Am planning on having another home birth, but not sure what to do bout the children. I will prob have my mum here, so she can take them out for me etc. Hope it all goes well

4. ohmy5

ohmy5 Member

and not the home birth aspect. Although I have nothing against it.... :) We did however have our two older children, then 8 and 6, attend the birth, the hospital have an age limit, our then 22 mo old stayed with a friend. We were supposed to have a responsible adult other than dad in the room to take them out if they couldn't handle it, but our last, our 4th, came 3 wks early and great grandma was not here yet. But our LD nurse was wonderful and had no problem with them being there. Both of our girls loved the experience and treasure it as a wonderful memory of their baby sister. 22 months later they still tell people about it if the topic arises. Rebecca came so quickly that my OB could not make it so the OB resident delivered her and he was wonderful. He let our oldest cut the umbilical cord and examine the placenta. It all went smoothly and we will be doing it again with our 5th one, due in January.
    Good luck I hope that helped a little.

a mom in Kansas,

5. huggybear

huggybear Active Member

all i can say is.........GO FOR IT :D

i'm due number 3 in aug and planning a home water birth with my other two present if the are awake or home from school.....aged 5yrs and 3yrs
    i think it will help them bond with baby and i've heard of women who activly encourage their other siblings to get in the pool with them till the actual pushing stage which i am happy for mine to do as long as there are no problems and everything goes to plan
    i have also been letting my two watch baby programmes. deliveries etc on discovery health and been open to them about what will happen and noise blood etc
    i wish you all the best and support you mentally all them way :D

6. Hedgey

Hedgey Well-Known Member

My sister when expecting her 4th was going to go to hospital but as her 3rd was so clingy she decided on a home birth, at the time she had a girl of 15, boy of 13 and another 2yr old girl and all of them present at the birth, the eldest girl even cutting the cord.

luckily, there was no compications and from start to finish it was only 3 hrs