Home birth or hospital birth?

Katbix84

Reaction score
I'm now 33wks and reality is hitting that I need to prepare mentally for birth. With a history of anxiety and panic attacks every time I have had an antenatal appt at the hospital I have got stressed and palpitations. I take antidepressants and have had to have extra growth scans as the baby is on the the small side. Having spoke to a registrar after my scan today after mentioning my anxiety she said had I considered a home birth and I said no as I live in a flat so ruled it out. She said I should look into it and now I'm confused at what is best. I like the thought of being at home in a familiar environment but live in a 1 bed flat so room is restricted. Also I would feel more relaxed but then what are the odds the baby was in distress or something else and therefore needing to go to hospital, that in itself could cause a great deal of panic and anxiety. Also pain relief, if it gets too much at a late stage you then have to endure a rush to hospital and then may have to wait to get the drugs. In a perfect scenario I would love to stay at home for as long as possible before having to go to hospital, would that be classed as a home birth as I'd need gas and air. Would appreciate your thoughts or experiences..

If you live in the UK do you have the option of a midwife led unit near you? It's not as medicalised as a hospital so it might not set off your anxiety as much and you can have candles and other relaxing things from home with you and you don't have to worry about giving birth in your flat. Good luck looking at all the options.

Id say if you want a home birth then really look into it. Do you have a homebirth team you can be referred to? They wil tell you exactly what you need to do and how things work etc.

I'd look into it

I really wanted a home birth but because I'd had complications with my son I ruled it out. However my daughter had other ideas and came so quickly we had no choice, even though it was rushed and we had no help there I found having her at home such a lovely experience and my only regret is not preparing more for it either as it was happening or before hand (if I'd planned it before even if she arrived before the midwives at least I wouldn't have had to then go into hospital after.)

Don't worry about complications the midwives will assess you and then make the decision to take you into hospital if you need to go.

If we have another I will be having a planned home birth.

Honestly I would opt for the home birth if you are low risk!
I went to a birth center at the local hospital and regret it, they were so busy I couldn't even get a room. I was literally dumped in a tiny visitors lounge on a tiny sofa to labour with no care until I was almost ready to push.
I had no idea what was going on and it was very stressful, I would have birthed in there but thankfully hubby got so frustrated and angry that when I started loosing the plot and complaining of pressure he put his foot down and insisted someone check on me (he tried various times before that).
Midwife who eventually checked me then had to rush around and move another poor lady out of her room to get me in to give birth.
Before that I had no option for pain relief at all either (a bit of gas would have been nice lol).
Then once DS arrived we were allowed back home just a couple of hours later.
It was utterly pointless that we went in the first place and just caused unnecessary stress (I was hoping for a relaxing pool birth but never mind lol).
Next time I will be having a home birth unless there are complications!!!
I think a home birth would be quicker, smoother and much more relaxed, I have never seen anybody have one and regret it :)

I’m having a homebirth aslong as everything goes to plan that is & baby comes on time! When it was first ever mentioned to me I said no but then looked into it further & realised its a no brainier! I had my last 2 in hospital & although fine labours (I did have a bit of a bleed after my son but nothing too major) I had to stay overnight with both & found the hospital staff to be useless & when they tell you you can go home in the morning & then your waiting all day to be discharged I just thought this time there’s no need! I can do it from home, be in my own surroundings, feel more relaxed, used my own shower & get in my own bed after. Kids get to meet baby pretty much straight away & we just go on about our lives like normal. No stressful drives, no leaving kids, 2 Midwife’s dedicated to you. It’s almost like private care but free.

Only thing you might need to consider is access ? Are you on a first or second floor or higher ? If higher you might not be able to have one as the access points should you need to transfer to hospital might be too challenging..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back