Home Birth/Hospital birth?!

coco_cukoo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, anyone got any idea when you decide what kind of birth you are having? I'm 10 weeks today and still haven't seen my midwife, seeing her next week at 11 weeks for booking in appt.

I'm thinking of having a home birth even though it's my first... xx

I would love to have a home birth too, but I'm 35 and I dont think they allow it at my age as theres added risk of complications the older you get :(

ppl tend to ike the idea of a home birth as it is relaxing, the ony trouble is if you need medical hep you wil have to go to hospital anyway

my first i needed assistance giving birth, then stitches and kept in for 5 days

with my son it was a section so had to be in anyway lol

also depends what pain releif you want as from what i can remember they can only do so much at home

youd be better off asking your midwife the pros and cons as she can give you a bi oppinion

you can only have gas and air at home....
I'd never have a home birth lol! Not something i like the idea of...

I'd like a water birth though

yeah I'd like a pool at home and I only want gas & air anyway. I live about 2 min walk from maternity ward so I will see....will ask Midwife on friday what she thinks!! x

For me I'd rather be in hospital - especially as my first but would like a water birth. Would probably consider a home birth for any future pregnancies after I know what to expect etc. You have to do what you feel best with, and in a place you'll feel relaxed.

I'd rather be in hospital for the first and do what you like after the others. Wasn't there a study in the news last week saying that hospital is safer for first time mums but risks are the same at hospital or at home for subsequent births? xx

not to mention when you go the toilet from pushing, you dont realy want to do that on your nice sheets and towels, nore cean it up lol

I don't think there is any more risk in a first time mum being at home and I'm not sure on numbers etc but there's less chance of needing assistance if your at home. You can have pethadine at home as well but they're not keen on giving it. But deff gas and air. You also get the advantage of constant care from your midwife which you may not receive in hospital.

I think I'd like a home birth next time. I wanted one this time but lived with my parents and I don't think they were keen lol. That and I went way overdue anyway so had to go in.

Home birth doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
Even watching home births on TV, they just seem... Bleugh I don't know lol.

I'll stick with the maternity ward :) x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I like the idea of a homebirth but a few things put me off
a) It's my first and I have no idea how things will go
b) I'm a wuss and want the option of an epidural if I need it!!! lol
c) I'm about 20 mins away from my hospital, just a bit too far for comfort in case something goes wrong (in my mind)
d) I have a borderline low lying placenta so may need a c-section anyway
e) A close friend had a bad bleed after her first and this scared me a bit - she needed emergency surgery in theatre and they told her had she been a home birth it would have been touch and go.

I would love a waterbirth and they only have one tub in my hospital, so think I'm going to do hospital this time and if all goes well then I'd consider a homebirth for number 2.

So does anyone know when you have to decide? Or can you change your mind? Is it something that you talk about at booking in appt or later on? X

A home birth is a wonderful idea, the best bit being your partner can stay with you overnight and not be sent home after the birth if it early in the morning like mine was, he was very excited about the baby and didn't want to go but it was 2 in the morning had too. I wouldn't have one mainly coz our walls are very thin and I don,t think my neighbors would appreciate the noise lol but as long as your pregnancy is problem free there's no reason for you not to have one. Be prepared tho coz your midwife may not be keen and try and change your mind, but at the end of the day it,s your decision. With it being your first you won't no how you,ll react to the pain but if it gets too much for you can go to the hosp if you need more pain relief. Also bear in mind child birth can be very messy so make sure have plenty of old sheets.

thanks roxanne, that's the answer I was looking for lol. gives me time to think!! x

I really wanted a home birth but Kynon came early so had no choice. I had to decide by my 34 week check up so the midwife could sort their rosta out. Also someone mentioned about being an old mum and not being allowed to have a home birth, I'm 36 and this was never mentioned as a problem. I'd def try for a home birth next time if I make it to full term, I hated every min in hospital!

Personally the idea of a home birth isnt for me... Can be quite messy and i like the idea of having a massive clean up a couple of days before due date, cooking some meals and freezing them and then having the baby in a hospital where i know if anything was to happen that shouldnt then it can be prevented instead of waiting.
Also the fact that its my first aswell its all about the unknown but if you go for it then brilliant xxx

I talked about what kind of birth I wanted at the booking in, your mw may ask you what sort of birth you want then, mine did.

Last edited:
I really wanted a home birth but hubby isn't keen. The relaxing aspect of being in familiar surroundings appeals to me the most I think.

If DH wasn't so against it I'd be having one. I only live 5mins from hospital so I figured if things went wrong I wouldn't be too far away from assistance.

I chatted with the midwife about it and she asks me every time I go if I have decided yet so you have plenty of time to work it out :)

I just think that if anything went wrong you would have a constant reminder everyday, as it happened in your home and I couldn't handle that or afford to move

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back