Holidays Before Baby Arrives

sasswa

Reaction score
Anyone else considering going for a quick holiday before the bubs gets here?

We really want to take a break before it all starts to get too hard but we seem to be stretching it to when I'll be about 27-30 weeks (April/May). Only reason for this is that it will be a tad warmer then - looking at either the Canaries or Majorca for 2 weeks.

Has anyone gone away around this time or later in their pregnancy?

Any recommendations or travelling?

S

Was just reading your post. You might wanna check about flying because i think most airlines wont fly anyone past 28 weeks. I think not totally sure.

we've got a holiday to Ibiza booked in May. I'll be 22 weeks flying out and 24 flying back. I think this is ideal, although we may be cancelling due to needing to find somewhere else to live because of the baby. :? Does anyone know where we stand with the deposit if we cancel because of the pregnancy? Will I lose it?

Sorry Sasswa, not really answered your question!!! I've not been to either I'm afraid, so not much help at all!!! :shock:

I have just checked on a web site for u they say that you are allowed to to fly between 15-28 weeks.

I have been to both places and really love Lanzarote lovely places to eat. Also Majorica is very nice and only very short distance away.

Imwarr,

I'm warming more to Lanzarote - which resort did you stay at there? We're looking Costa Teguise?

My husband is an agent and it is stated that it's up to the airlines. There is no harm or anything to child or mother flying beyond this time, it's just the airlines don't want someone to give birth on the plane. As long as you have a letter or something from the doctor/midwife etc, the airline should be a-ok.....spoke to one yesterday and they said max 30 weeks.

Thanks for you help,

S

Oh thats good then I have no worries about when i take my holidays.

I think it was Porta del Carmen its was one of the only holidays I never got a stomach upset and adored the food! The weather is great all year round as well.

check with the airline you book your flight throu too.. we're hoping to get a holiday in before baby comes. We'll be flying with Virgin as we have air miles saved up with them. They state they wont carry a pregnant passenger past 26 weeks.

Tankett I wouldn't say anything to your travel agent just yet.. but let your midwife know when ever you speak to her that your suffereing with dizziness and back ache at nite or when sitting for any length of time.. then a few weeks before you holiday date contact your GP and tell him you've been suffering with dizziness and back ache - tell him your MD has a record of this. He'll right you a letter stating he doesn't advise you to fly! you can then take this to your travel agent who will have no choice but to refund you as you are medically unfit to fly. Also the fact you booked the holiday before you became pregnant is in your favour.

x

I would love to go away before hand, I went to the Dominican Republic last January and keep watching the holiday channel at those lovely hot destinations.

But I'm a scaredy cat and am paranoid that something awful will happen and I don't want to be stuck in a foreign hospital - I think this is totally irrational thinking but I can't help it.

Go for it! My sister went to Las Vegas in November and she would have been 4 and a half months I think around that time. She was fine.

The second trimester is a good time to go on your hols they say.

I will have a break over here somewhere.

I am flying to Dublin on Monday and will be 22+5 weeks, the airline we are flying with say that they will let a pg woman fly up to 28 weeks without a doctor note, after 28 weeks they require a doctor note stating that they are medically fit to fly.

Xxx

Ooo, Hayley. Thanks for that!! I hadn't thought of doing that.

We are currently living in a rented house that is totally unfit for a baby. It's cold, damp, small and only has a shower room - no bath!! We were looking for somewhere else to rent but found our ideal house that we would love to buy, got a second viewing tonight. Thing is that obviously every penny will count now, and although the deposit is paid on the holiday, we still need to pay the rest and spending money and new clothes. So we could be talking about £2-3k. This would obviously be better spent putting towards the deposit for the house. And if we can get the deposit back, even better!!!!

Hi all,

Each airline is different with regards to letting you fly & they should be contacted prior to departure & informed, but most airlines, will let you fly up until 28 weeks then you will need a doctors note, certifying you fit to fly. Most airlines will refuse carriage after 34 weeks unless its completely necessary i.e urgent medical/compassionate reasons & you would probably need to be flying with a medical professional.

Tankett, it again depends who you booked your hols with but cancellations and costs will be in the terms and conditions. Have a look in the back of the brochure if you have one & it will state what charges, if any there are.

The company I work for require a letter confirming cancellations & you may lose the deposit or part of it or if they are being kind you will just be charged a small fee. Its best to check with the company direct now about it as nearer the time the penalties get higher! for example if you cancelled a couple of weeks before departure you would lose 90% of the holiday.

If you have holiday insurance this would cover any costs if you had to cancel your holiday due to medical reasons (depending on the insurance type that is) the travel agent does not have to give you any money back, its the insurance company that would investigate & decide your fate!!! so be careful, I really wouldn't advise you try conning them incase you end up losing all your money. I've seen it happen before!

If anyone has more questions I will try my bestest to answer them! (i'm airline cabin crew and since I got pregnant i've been working in one of our travel agents, incase you were wondering why I sound like a cocky cow!! :lol: (i'm not - honest!)

Nicki.x :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back