His eating is doing my head in!!

Princess81

Reaction score
My usually fantastic eater is being really fussy and contrary about what he'll eat.
I don't know if it's a phase or what. He was really poorly with the norovirus a few weeks ago and it seems to have manifested since then. We gave him.all sorts to keep his levels up at that time - anything he would eat he got.
Now though, he seems to just want to graze. He doesn't want a full meal and turns his nose up at veg etc. It's doing my head in! He spits food out, throws It, screams and cries and tantrums over weetabix even.
He just wants snacks like rice cakes and those goodies crisps. I try so hard to keep it healthy for him. Like for breakfast he had a banana, a few spoons of yoghurt, half a weetabix, some raisins and a few cubes of cheese but this is all over a couple hours iykwim as he never fills up really cos he's just snacking. So he's constantly moaning that he's hungry.
Any suggestions other than starve him til meal times??
Xxx

tapatalking!!

Will is the same on and off. He can go from being a great eater to really fussy. I'm trying my hardest to ignore it (the spitting out etc) as at nursery he literally eats anything they give him :oooo: and he's known as being a good eater. So I reckon he's just testing me at home. It is so frustrating though but everything iv read tells me to ignore it and if he stops eating to take it away - so hard to not replace it with what he will eat tho! X

I ignore it and just clean up her plate when she starts kicking off at me that she's finished. She still gets a yoghurt for her afters but I think they have to learn the hard way when they are that age. I don't want to force her to eat her tea but at the same time I'm not running round making all sorts to cater for her when the first meal she had was fine as it was iykwim??

We will take away her plate if she starts playing and throwing it on the floor. She gets no puddings or snacks either really. If we are worried she hasn't eaten enough for the day by the time dinner is done she can have a banana & big drink if milk

I'm a seriously fussy eater and was pandered to as a child, I'm not having that for Grace. If she doesn't eat what's she's given then she goes without

It does seem that that they've got to that stage where they're asserting their will. J is the same, we have days where he eats brilliantly and days where he's just awful. He still has a big milk before bed so at least I know he's not starving. I'm of the same opinion now. If he chooses not to eat his meal then I'll clear away.

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

Dylan is the same with good days and bad days. We just take his plate away from him but he will still get a fruit pot or yogurt after t. I am a very fussy eater and I don't want Dylan to be. If he doesn't eat something I won't give him an alternative - my MIL on the other hand tries everything with him! We find some days he stops feeding himself but will happily allow us to feed him more X

Another thing Iv noticed is he wants to do it himself, so if I leave him with the food and spoon he will get on with it a bit better and doesn't spit out anything he feeds himself x

Thanks girls! Glad I'm not alone. Maybe it's just a coincidence that it's happened now then and nothing to do with being ill. Tests the patience big time though eh :-/ xx

tapatalking!!

It could be that his stomach has shrunk from noro virus? I know when I've been really poorly it takes me a while to get my full appetite back and eat properly. Hope he improves his eating habits soon. X

Jack's been fussy for months. First it was breakfast, then lunch and now it's dinner. I find tiny snacks in between meals and limiting his juice (or he'd fill himself up) helps because he's hungry enough for a decent meal. It doesn't help that he simply can't eat a lot of foods due to his partial tongue tie so he's already limited without his fussiness. They all get over it eventually but will still have days when they're not particularly hungry, as do us adults x

BIG NEWS! J ate fish voluntarily. I was surprised :lol:

BIG NEWS! J ate fish voluntarily. I was surprised :lol:

Fish is one of the few things that never gets turned down in this house which I'm very grateful for :) so good for them!

Well, I made cam hold out slightly longer for lunch, so he ate sausage, potato, carrot, broccoli, cauli and peas. I stealthily mashed them muhahaha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh yay I'm not alone lol

Keira was a really good eater now she won't eat either I put it down to teething, but she's still being picky, she will eat goodies crisps, rasins the odd banana yogurt and rice pudding if I'm lucky. But sometimes she ever refuses them

She's also in a faze of you can feed me mummy! But half the time she does it herself, I really hope she gets back into eating properly its driving me mad not knowing if she is hungry ect but I'm sure if she was she would eat.

Omg Phoebe is the same!!!

Well she's actually not too bad at the minute but she goes through phases all the time! Also there is stuff she used to love but just refuses to eat now, like grapes.
The only fruits she'll eat are banana, pear, raisins and blueberrys. Any other fruit just gets chucked without even trying it.
She'll eat veg mashed up, or if I put some on a homemade pizza but will not eat it on its own!
I never know whether I should give dessert or not when they dont eat a meal, I do usually end up giving her something though. I do cooking alternatives though, if she doesnt eat a meal then tough lol
xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I still give Jack a yoghurt or fruit pot if he doesn't eat. We've never called it dessert or pudding. I hate food bribery so never say '2 more and you can have a yoghurt' etc as i believe food is for enjoying and eating not for a reward.

I offer something a couple of hours later like scotch pancakes or a sandwich, that way he's probably forgotten dinner time so won't think 'if i don't eat i'll get ....' xx

I still give Jack a yoghurt or fruit pot if he doesn't eat. We've never called it dessert or pudding. I hate food bribery so never say '2 more and you can have a yoghurt' etc as i believe food is for enjoying and eating not for a reward.

I offer something a couple of hours later like scotch pancakes or a sandwich, that way he's probably forgotten dinner time so won't think 'if i don't eat i'll get ....' xx

This is kind of how I do it! I don't believe in force feeding and in turn I don't want LO to grow up thinking sweet stuff is just for treats as I think that's when an unhealthy food relationship can be formed. If she starts messing as soon as I've given her her tea i don't take it away straight away but instead give her another 10 mins to see if she will tuck in and if not we leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back