Higher chances for IUI after Hysteroscopy/HSG/laparoscopy?

HopeSIN

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I wanted to get some input from you and see if anyone else might have been in a similar situation: our infertility issues are male factor and I did get pregnant on my 1st IUI this year which sadly ended in a stillbirth. Since then we've had 4 more IUIs, all unsuccessful. So I was recommended to do a hysteroscopy & laparoscopy before moving on to IVF just to see if there's also any issues on my end. They indeed did find some scar tissue (most likely from the stillbirth and the D&C i had back then) around the cervix and in the uterus that they removed, they also cleaned out the tubes and then they found some mild endometriosis during the laparoscopy.

So now instead of straight moving on to IVF my doctor recommended to try another one or two rounds of IUI since after clearing out the scar tissue and having the fallopian tubes cleaned with an HSG success rates might be higher again.

I know that over a life time 1 or 2 months are nothing, but with having lost a baby in the 6th month of pregnancy and having been so close to have a baby, every month now seems so so long and I can't think of anything else all day long than getting pregnant again.

Any advise from any of you? Thanks so much in advance!

I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't know how it affects your chances but my clinic won't do any treatment at all without you first having at least an hsg, so they obviously think it is important. However if you really don't want to do anymore IUI then I would think they have to accept that and move you on to IVF. Are you NHS funded? I was really reluctant to make the move to IVF as we only get one chance and then it is game over and back to trying naturally or self fund, so I would have taken everything they offered first for the most number of chances. Not sure if that is any help at all but that was part of my thought process.

Hello, I'm so sorry for your loss x

I think it really depends whether you are private or NHS. I've only had a hycosy (similar to HSG) but I want a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy. In looking into it, I read that some people do get pregnant after but of course that doesn't mean everyone does, especially is an underlying issue you will only find out through ivf (eg egg quality).

Hope this helps a little xx

Thanks so much Snowbee & Phonixgirl for sharing your thoughts!!!

I'm currently not living in the UK/Europe, but in Asia and over here there's no government funding for any infertility treatments. Since we're over here as expats we luckily have good insurance that covers a certain amount of $ per lifetime membership, and we've pretty much used half of that with our IUIs so far. So right now I think we could use the remainder to fund around 2/3 of an IVF (over here prices for IVF are ridiculous and range from USD 12,000 - USD 20,000 per round!) or to fund a couple of more IUIs and then top up to do an IVF.
I'm at this point just afraid of losing another 2 months with two IUIs. Also, after the stillbirth I've had I'm so afraid of another miscarriage or - even worse - a 2nd stillbirth and then it'd be all back to starting point once again, whereas with IVF I'd (most likely) at least have some "spare" frozen eggs if I'd lose yet another pregnancy and could move on faster from there with a FET. I hope I doesn't sound like a horrible person writing this...but it's been terrible having been pregnant for 7 months this year but yet there I am without a baby in my arms and having gone through another 4 new failed IUIs since the stillbirth.

Thanks so much Snowbee & Phonixgirl for sharing your thoughts!!!

I'm currently not living in the UK/Europe, but in Asia and over here there's no government funding for any infertility treatments. Since we're over here as expats we luckily have good insurance that covers a certain amount of $ per lifetime membership, and we've pretty much used half of that with our IUIs so far. So right now I think we could use the remainder to fund around 2/3 of an IVF (over here prices for IVF are ridiculous and range from USD 12,000 - USD 20,000 per round!) or to fund a couple of more IUIs and then top up to do an IVF.
I'm at this point just afraid of losing another 2 months with two IUIs. Also, after the stillbirth I've had I'm so afraid of another miscarriage or - even worse - a 2nd stillbirth and then it'd be all back to starting point once again, whereas with IVF I'd (most likely) at least have some "spare" frozen eggs if I'd lose yet another pregnancy and could move on faster from there with a FET. I hope I doesn't sound like a horrible person writing this...but it's been terrible having been pregnant for 7 months this year but yet there I am without a baby in my arms and having gone through another 4 new failed IUIs since the stillbirth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back