High bmi and water birth

Mrsbee

Reaction score
Hey ladies I really want to have a water birth they look awesome, but I was reading if your bmi is over 34 they wouldn't let you? Anyone else heard this? I think mine is slightly more as I'm only 5 foot and needed to loose a few stone, but surely if you're having a low risk pregnancy and can get in and out of the pool why does it matter? Xxx

I would have thought it would help as the water will support you and help you birth in positions you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

If your midwife is otherwise ok with you having a home birth (or midwife-led unit birth) I can't see why they'd say no, but if they do you can still demand another opinion or say you are having one anyway.

Ultimately, when it comes to labour and birth they can say a lot of things, but there truly is no "allow" about it; all they can do is advise you on what *they* would prefer and inform you on what they feel is safest.... it is still totally up to you how & where you give birth and they really cannot force you to do do something you aren't happy with.

My advice would be to stand your ground. If the pregnancy is otherwise progressing as it should and baby is healthy and you feel a water birth is what you want, go for it. Don't let them stop you x

PS, there are groups online and on FB that might help to reassure you.
Have a look on Home Birth Chat on FB etc. :)

Hi mine is 32 or 33 but my mw said as long as I stay low risk and there is a pool available then it shouldn't be a problem x

Generally if your BMI is over 35 you're "high risk" which means the MLU usually won't accept you, and the consultant unit will want you to be on a monitor - which they can't do if you're in the pool.

You can't be denied a home birth - birth is YOUR choice, the medical team around you will on advise on what they feel is the best course of action for you, your risks, and your health. It's all about what you want but discuss it with your midwife and let them know your views and they'll talk you through it a bit better xx

Thanks for the information ladies! I won't be having a water birth then :( I'll see what the midwife has to say but I don't suppose it will be any different to what you lovely ladies have told me xx

My BMI was 26 at booking and 32 at my 36 weeks appointment which kept me in low risk so can have water birth. If I had been 35 at booking and 40 by my 36 weeks appointment then wouldn't be able to have a water birth, I was told this today at a midwife led centre. Check at your next appointment :) x

Thanks Lisa :) normal birth for me it is then haha xxx

Ultimately, when it comes to labour and birth they can say a lot of things, but there truly is no "allow" about it; all they can do is advise you on what *they* would prefer and inform you on what they feel is safest.... it is still totally up to you how & where you give birth and they really cannot force you to do do something you aren't happy with.

I'm not sure I'd quite agree with that... as if it is a hospital birth and she is told her BMI is too high for a water birth, she can ask and ask and ask all she wants; they don't have to get the birthing pool out and ready.

I was told by my mw and the labour ward mw that the reason they don't like ladies with a high bmi/being overweight using the pool is that it can be very difficult for them to get you out in an emergency, if you pass out etc, and having a high bmi/being overweight does increase the chance of complications.
I know it's dissapointing but they only say no for your best interests and not just to be difficult!

I'm not sure I'd quite agree with that... as if it is a hospital birth and she is told her BMI is too high for a water birth, she can ask and ask and ask all she wants; they don't have to get the birthing pool out and ready.

You have the right to labour and birth how YOU want. And if you don't like what you are being told, you have the right to get a second opinion, or speak to a different consultant, or the Supervisor of Midwives.

I'm not for one minute advocating doing something inherently dangerous, HOWEVER, if the *only* reason you are being "denied" a water birth is because your BMI is one or two points over the "magic" cut off, you are within your rights to insist on one anyway and unless there is a genuine reason why it would not be wise, they are not allowed to refuse you.

You know how mobile you are. If you feel safe to labour in water and agile enough to get in or out as needed, then simply having a slightly higher BMI should not be an issue (providing all other factors like BP etc are normal).

No one should go into labour thinking their midwife (or consultant) gets to dictate how or where they give birth, it doesn't work like that, even if some HCPs like you to think it is.
It's still your birth and you are still able to form your own opinion. If you truly feel their way is safest then you can do it their way, but if you feel your way is just as safe, they really have no right to refuse to follow your wishes.

Thanks ladies,
I've been writing this reply for ages, I swiped my phone to get a smudge off and it deleted everything haha. I can't remember what I wrote, but in essence I agree with you all. I like your take Phoenix that hcp's don't always know best, and as a nurse I do agree with you, the patient knows what is best for them. But if my bmi is too high for the pool then fair enough, it doesn't concern me greatly. I just didn't realise this would be an issue but I guess it kinda makes sense now :)t

Thanks again ladies xxxx

I plan on a water birth this time and I have a bmi of around 32 so I am hoping they let me!!! xx

If not could you not have a home water birth? Hire the pool your self? Iv read of others doing it. X

I've got a tiny flat there's nowhere to put one of those home birthing pools lol xx

If not could you not have a home water birth? Hire the pool your self? Iv read of others doing it. X

I'm tempted but as its my first I think I'd rather be in hospital just in case? Xxxx

My friend had a planned water birth at the hospital and her BMI was high, the day she went into labour they denied her a water birth because her "BMI is too high" this only happened to her last month. So I believe they can deny you the water birth at the hospital. She was absolutely gutted xx

Ahh man that is rubbish isnt it - I plan on getting this conversation over with on my booking appointment xxx

At the end of the day, the hospital and staff have a responsibility to make sure you and your baby are safe. They also have a legal responsibility and have rules and regulations to follow.

I'm going for a home birth (at the moment, we'll see what happens when I'm in labour haha!), but if I end up in hospital my birth plan says I would like a birthing pool. I've not got my heart set on it if I do end up in hospital though, as most labour wards only have one pool and it's not always available!

It'd be wonderful if we could all have the exact births we want. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case! Safety of mother and baby has to come first xo

At the end of the day, the hospital and staff have a responsibility to make sure you and your baby are safe. They also have a legal responsibility and have rules and regulations to follow.

I'm going for a home birth (at the moment, we'll see what happens when I'm in labour haha!), but if I end up in hospital my birth plan says I would like a birthing pool. I've not got my heart set on it if I do end up in hospital though, as most labour wards only have one pool and it's not always available!

It'd be wonderful if we could all have the exact births we want. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case! Safety of mother and baby has to come first xo

I agree, being a nurse my self I understand the polices etc. And at the end of the day they do it to keep us safe xxx

Mrsbee- this is my first so that's why I think il go to hospital plus I don't do pain lol. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back