High Amniotic Fluid

Kayo

Reaction score
Im 29 weeks pregnant with a BMI of just 17 and as its so low the hospital/midwives have me on shared care. I am having extra scans... My scan on the 21st of May 2012 stated I had high levels of amniotic fluid, they have done loads of tests and told me not to worry too much until the results come back but Im terrified theres something wrong with my baby!

AFI: 239mm above the 95th percentile

FL: 52.0mm HC: 287.0mm AC: 269.0mm

NOTE I am 28 weeks and 2 days upon these results.
Can anyone tell me anything about this or my results and if they are high?

Liq Volume: Polyhydranios

Hi Kayo..
Welcome to PF!
Saw this thread, but didn't want to read + run..
I haven't had any abnormalities in my pregnancy, so haven't had any personal experience..
But found this online and thought it may help?
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/highamnioticfluidpolyhydramnios.htm

Here's a website you can look into your baby's measurements:
http://www.baby2see.com/medical/charts.html
Not sure how accurate it is though!
Differences in measurements to gestational age doesn't necessarily indicate a problem..

From what I've read about having high levels of amniotic fluid, I wouldn't worry too much.. Sometimes reading things online and looking too much into things can be the worst thing you can do.

I'm sure everything is absolutely fine with your little one!
Try to relax for the sake of your baby..
Wishing you all the best for the results!
Let me know how you get on xx

Hi there, welcome to the forum :wave:

I was diagnosed with polyhydramnios at about 34 weeks (I had an extra scans one being at 34 weeks) and completely panicked as I stupidly googled it. (I saw it mentioned on my notes, but they obviously didn't see it as a problem as didn't mention it to me :wall2: I was just over the AFI at about 25.3cm but baby was tracking 91st centile in size)

I ended up going back and speaking to the hospital as I was so worried. They said that when they scanned me they didn't pick up on any problems that can be associated with extra amniotic fluid so they weren't concerned and that more than likely it was because I was carrying a larger baby, as they can produce more urine. Your baby regularly swallows amniotic fluid, which then passes out of his body as urine. This is how he controls the volume of amniotic fluid around him.

I would try not to worry hun (which I know is easier said than done) I was monitored closely by my mw (I also had a couple of other problems during pregnancy, one of them being obstetric cholestasis) and during labour I was well looked after and monitored. My waters broke at home and there wasn't much there but they had to break my hind waters while I was in labour and I was surprised at how much there was!!!

I went onto have a healthy baby boy with no issues what so ever! He also weighed 9lbs 4oz so larger than average. Good luck and let us know how you get on. If you're worried at all pm me, I'm always happy to chat :)

Hiya there and welcome.
I hope your test results are good :)

I was diagnosed at 30 weeks and also had extra scans. The fluid usually goes down so it could be that when you are scanned in a few weeks it has reduced. However, that didn't happen to me...i was MASSIVE...(but my BMI was far from 17!!).

They broke my waters in hospital and it was like a tsunami. Bubba came out very well developed and i say it was because he did loads of swimming in there :)

One bit of advice that I would give which they didn't tell me until last minute...if your waters break go to hospital straight away, don't leave it until your contractions come closer together. Speak to your midwife about it when you next see her.

ps there were absolutely no complications with pregancy or baby - so try not to worry..

I had excess fluid too, lots of extra scans! ( saw bubs more!!) but my waters didn't break til the midwife did it for me on one of the last few pushes and then they were surprised that there wasn't much in the end. baby was absolutely fine, just one of those things. At my hospital they kept a monitor on me and babies heart in labour they said because I had excess fluid, but I didn't even notice it was on.

Hi, welcome to PF.

I was diagnosed polyhydramnios when pregnant with my son, at 28 weeks I was measuring 36. When my waters went at 38+5 I was measuring 55 weeks :shock:

It did make carrying hard work as was pretty much carrying a full term bump from 28 weeks, and as baby grew as well getting heavier it wasn't easy. I couldn't even drive my car because I couldn't reach the peddles if I moved the seat back lol

It also caused me to have an eventful labour.

If you have any questions will be happy to answer.

I was diagnosed polyhydramnios at my last consultant appointment, but I was only measuring 3cm ahead at 34 weeks, and week before last it had gone back down to within normal range again!

xxxxx

I too had Polyhydramnios in my 2nd pregnancy, unfortunately for me it was indicative of a problem with baby. My son had Hydrops Fetalis, my AFI was off the scale. They think he had this condition due to the flu virus crossing my placenta and affecting baby. They couldn't find any abnormalities with baby at all other than the fluid in his body and my Polyhydramnios. Hydrops is very rare, so please don't worry - like the girls have said the majority of the time there is no reason for the excess fluid and baby is completely fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back