Hi - I'm new to this part of the boards...

Melanie3103

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 37, just 5 weeks pregnant with my 1st. Very exciting. Got my "booking in apt" with midwife next Tuesday - 6th August - not sure what to expect if anything ? I know this varies - but if anyone can give me some idea what to expect (I'm in the UK - as I know it varies in the US too).

Also - I have just discovered having done some figures that I think I lose out on SMP by about a week. Anyone else a whizz at working out dates and SMP in the UK and qualifying week etc - so confused...

Basically my LMP was 22 June, so I calculated my EDD as 29 March 2014.. so far so good... :) Then when I tried to calculate qualifying week, I got a date in December, and if I've understood it right, you have to be at working at the same employer for 26 weeks (I think!) to be eligible for SMP... So I think I was out by about a week - as I joined the company I'm at now on 17th June.

I then found a GOV.UK site that had a "calculate your eligibility for SMP" - so I tried that, and I think I AM eligible. https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-maternity-pay/y

I guess I'm after some advice on this. Anyone know much about it ??

Also - my 2nd question - at dating scan at the end of 1st trimester - are they likely to change my EDD, or are they likely to stick with 29 March - based on LMP (22 June). They presumably call it a dating scan for a reason ??

Any advice would be much appreciated... Thanks all... and congrats to all xx

Hi, and welcome! Can't help with SMP sorry, I gave up work after trying to go back after my 2nd baby. My mind is now mush! Might be worth starting a thread in pregnancy chat too as everyone will see that.

At the booking in appt they just ask lots of questions (I was there an hour and a half), and take a urine and blood sample. Oh and you may get the form to get free prescriptions and dental at this visit too.

And yes your due date may change at 12 week scan. I had an early dating scan at 8 weeks, and she put me back 2 days. But said not to change anything as the 12 week scan is the one they go by.

Hi :) I was at my booking appointment for nearly two hours, did wee samples, bloods, height and weight, lots and lots of forms.
Can't help with smp, still trying to work it out myself. Xx

Hi :) I was at my booking appointment for nearly two hours, did wee samples, bloods, height and weight, lots and lots of forms.
Can't help with smp, still trying to work it out myself. Xx

By the week beginning the 9th December you will be in your 26th week (I think) so should qualify - even if you don't as long as you have worked 26 out of the previous 66 weeks even at more than one job you will get maternity allowance which is 90% of your take home pay as far as I remember

Hey congratulations!! Don't worry, as Jensbump said, even if you don't qualify for SMP you should get Maternity Allowance which is about the same amount, approx £136 per week or 90% of salary, whichever is lower x

Welcome and congratulations!!

If you look at the NHS website, under the pregnancy section, it tells you what should be involved in your booking in appointment. I have mine this afternoon :)

Thanks Jacq - how did you get on ?

it's odd, because I still don't feel very pregnant - this is stupid I know.. I am almost 6 weeks and other than sore boobs and tiredness (which could be caused by anything right) - I am relying on a pee stick. I foiund myself (2 weeks after my period was due) doing another HPT this morning - of course it was still positive - I've not bled or anything. So I've no reason to think I wasn't any more.. just still don't quite believe it.. Strange isn't it... :)

xx

Ha Melanie, you think you don't believe it? I just did another test and I am 10 weeks! I just needed to see that pink line again as I am having trouble believing it until I see more proof at my scan. I even had an early scan and saw the heartbeat but am still not convinced!! I was nauseous, tired, had sore boobs and totally went off any form of caffeine and still didn't twig! I was 6+4 when I tested.

I'll post about my mw appointment in another thread so I don't hijack yours!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back