He's cut down on milk since starting solids... is this ok?

Sabrina

Reaction score
George eats solids at breakfast (porridge), lunch (usually savoury and sweet) and dinner (banana or rusk) plus some formula milk. I usually give him the milk and food separately though.

He used to have 7/8 oz every feed. Now in the morning he will take about 6/7oz milk, lunch and dinner only about 5oz then at bedtime he's gone right down from 8oz to 4oz most nights.

The last couple of weeks he's started waking up during the night, and early in the morning (6-7am) whereas he used to sleep through till 8!

I'm worried he should be getting more formula. Is this a normal thing that he's just not hungry for the milk anymore? Is the waking up thing unrelated.. I have wondered it might be to do with teething?? :think:

:hug:

i always give riley his solids after his milk feed.

so milk, then breckie, 11.30 milk then lunch.
then he has a bottle at 3pm, and dinner at 5pm. bottle at 7pm and 10.30pm

he has 7ounces 5times a day.

i worry about his milk intake going down too. especially when there still quite young.

i do however want to drop the last bottle soon.

Riley's Mommy said:

i worry about his milk intake going down too. especially when there still quite young.

Do you give him any solids after his 7pm bottle? I am giving George a little rusk before his last bottle at night (food about 7pm and bottle 8.30pm).

Hi Sabrina, when 1st started Matilda on Solids she had a 61/2oz bottle when waking, then brekfast anytime between 9.30-11 (depends when she had her nap), then lunch and a mid afternoon bottle, tea and then a bottle before bed. When she got to 7 months I dropped the mid afternoon bottle except very occasionally. She was fine with this and the paediatrician said to drop this. She does have quite a lot of water during the day and her brekfast is made with formula milk. She very rarely wakes in night now but is awake about 7-8am where she used to sleep through til 9ish.

Ive had this too!!! I spoke to my health visitor the other day and she said as long as the babys still taking over a pint of formula a day then its fine as long as there having 2 meals a day as well so there building their weight up.

Hello Sabrina!!! where on earth have you been not seen you for ages!!! George looks great. :D

Thanks for your replies. Tuck, I think George will follow on similar to Matilda and drop his afternoon bottle eventually. He's also having diluted juice now as well so I know he's not dehydrated. :hug:

Thanks for the link Gemma I've printed that out for further reference. :)

MrsTommo Hiya :wave: good to hear from you. George and I are doing well thanks. He's 19lbs now! Can't believe where the time goes can you? George is almost 6 months old already!

Not got so much time to post on here these days sadly but I do still pop in when I need reassurance (like now!) :lol:

:hug:

I spoke to my HV about this too and its normal for them to not want as much milk. As long as they are getting around 500 to 600mls of formula milk a day then he will be fine.

Sabrina said:
Riley's Mommy said:

Do you give him any solids after his 7pm bottle? I am giving George a little rusk before his last bottle at night (food about 7pm and bottle 8.30pm).

i dont at the moment no. he has rusk for breckie :) loves it lol.

yes milliepops has less milk now shes on solids. i cant say exactly coz shes mostly breastfed but i can tell its alot less. my hv isnt worried, but apparently they should hav roughly 600mls a day. but u can sneak in cows milk in their food and that counts as part of the 600mls. thats what i was told anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back