Hepl please regarding midwife

Steelers fan

Reaction score
Hi all yesterday I had a bit of a do!!!!
My midwife has given me a date for a parentcraft session which is the only thing they offer in the way of antenatal. I called yesterday to check and she has given me the wrong date. It is a 4 hour class on a Sunday. So now I have missed it. The next one is at the end of January. Also does anyones midwife measure your tummy? When I went to the hospital they actual had a tape measure on my tummy. They said I was big and it needed monitioring by the midwife she LOOKED and said your ok. Now I am feeling peed off and wondering if she is doing anything she should be doing. If she isnt what can I do about it? This is our first baby and we really are just going on her advice..... HELP

i got rid of mine cos she was like urs ask to see another mw!!

my midwife never messure's my tummy but had a different one afew weeks ago who did. i think the tummy messuring is a new thing as i never had it with ne of my last 2 not sure wot the size of tum has to do with baby size. for my i get huge but also carry alot of water my last 2 where 8lb and 8lb 10z the second time i carried smaller but she was slitly bigger. i think it may be if you have a very large bump for ur size (body frame etc) or dates.

I'm having the same problem with my midwife but I have been lucky in the sense that my doctor is lovely and has put my mind at rest everytime I have had a concern.
I am actually going for my 36week check up with my midwife today!! I've only seen her twice before which says it all really!!
I had my fundal measurements done at 21 weeks but haven't had it done since. I do it myself though. Just measure from the top of your uterus to your pubic bone in cm's. We're probably all different but the top of my uterus is about an inch below my boobs and my pubic bone is about an inch below my pubic hair line TMI :oops:
I'm hoping she'll tell me whether Bubble's head is engaged today!! S/he was head down at my 33week check with the doctor.

ur tummy shud be same as ur weeks 2cm either side so normal bump for average women say 30wks wud be 28-32cm!!
i think they been doin tape messuring belly for at least 5yrs as thats my oldest and they did it with him!

well my eldest is coming up for 6 and youngest is 2 and I'd never heard of it before, only been messured once during this one as well but i'm 35 weeks on saturday and it messure's 38cms when lying down so maybe a little bigger than it sould be

It is just doing my head in that I feel she is not supporting me and I dont know what is happening. Do you think it matters about the antenatal classes?

I was offered 4 classes when i was pregant with my 1st and i went to them but didn't really teach me nething i hadn't already read in the pregancy book that ur given or that i didn't already know neway, i just fould it gave me something to focus on in the last month as this is the bit that can seem to take forever plus meeting some other mum's was nice. but most of my friend's never went to their's and haven't really suffered. these classes ain't like wot you see on the TV doing labour postion's and breathing. they just showed us thing's that may be used ei forcep's and went though the different type's of pain relief etc.
But if you feel ur MW is not supporting you i'd speak to ur doctor or try see if you can have a different MW. i'm sure she won't take affence as some people may feel different, like my MW i think she's great and have seen her for all 3 of mine, but friend's of mine that have seen her didn't like her and found her un-helpful; so we're all entitled to our oppinon's

Hello, ive been getting measured since the baby was big enough so every visit i do, they tell me its just another way to see how the babys growing and have an estamite how big he/she will be mine told me she should be about 7 and a half pounds, lets see if shes right!!!!
But its nothing to worry about i guess it depends on where your from to if they do it or not???
Try not to worry
Katrina xxx

Hi All,

It's a shame you are all havimg problems with your midwives, you should be able to depend on them for help as they are supposed to be the trained ones!!

I luckily have the same midwife i had with Amy 2 years ago and she is fantastic, they never measured my belly with her but now it's a new procedure they are supposed to do it every visit she was telling me. It's amazing how things change in just a couple of years, i was 28 +5 when i last went and my belly measured 30cm's she showed me on the graph in the back of my maternity folder that it is right for my gestation.

You can always put complaints in about your midwife and ask not to se eher again. it's your right to have the correct care.

My tummy has been measured every m/w visit, this time and with my other pregnancy, 4 years ago.
Have you got green notes?I have a page in mine with pictures of how they measure and an explanation of everything.

This time round I even have a customised chart showing my size last pregnancy to compare how big I am compared to last time.

Hi,

My midwife has been a bit 'hit and miss' too.

She has not alway's been there at my appointment's and the other midwife's were alot nicer.

My first antenatal class was with a different midwife and she was great, but the second one was with my normal midwife and wasn't as good, haven't been since. My friend didnt go either as she said they weren't very good and she read everything in her books.

I have been measured at my visit's, Im a little over what I should be apparently, but they think I have a lot of fluid. Apparently if you are too far over what you should be it could be an indication that the baby is breech.

Hi, well this morning I have telephoned the hospital, who have been great on every visit. they said I should be able to transfer to them if i have any worries with my midwife. I am waiting for them to call me back to make an appointment for next week. I looked in the green notes and after measuring myself which is really not easy I measure about 4 weeks ahead of where I should be, which is the same as 2 weeks ago at the hospital. Quite worried but glad the hospital are now going to take over the care. Thanks everyone for the words of support. It is a big thing to make the complaint, even when your worried , I thought the hospital would think I was been a pregnant manic....but they were great also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back