Help with Variations of spelling

Discussion in 'Baby Names' started by flexilexi394, Jun 1, 2016.

1. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

So we have decided our baby will be called "George" but of course me being me, I don't want to spell it like that.

Sofia is my daughter and we spelt that a little differently, only thing is I can't really find any spelling variations that aren't pronounced differently eg Jorge is pronounced "horhay" as its Spanish.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. snowbee

snowbee Well-Known Member

Ohh George is a difficult one. I personally wouldn't change the spelling of that as they will then spend their whole life having to correct people and spell it out (speaking from experience having many years spelling my surname, it is very annoying). Sofia is different as that is a fairly widespread spelling.

3. Maaaaaac

Maaaaaac Well-Known Member

I cant think of any variations except maybe dropping the e, Georg but trust me everyone will put the e in anyway. Good luck!

4. Kay Kay

Kay Kay Well-Known Member

To be honest I wouldn't mess with the spelling of George, it will cause him so much hassle in life. There's no real way of shortening it I don't think although I've heard the nick name Geo. Sorry hope you don't take offence I just have to be honest it's kind of a bug bare with me. Lovely name though and goes well with Sofia. I'm just always at a loss as to why people want to mess with the spelling of perfectly good names lol x

5. MrsS15

MrsS15 Well-Known Member

I agree with the others I'm afraid hun. George is too difficult to change and he wouldn't thank you for it! George is perfect as it is xx

6. Mrs M

Mrs M Well-Known Member

I think Kerry Katona spells her daughters name Jorge.

7. Kay Kay

I think that says it all :lol:

8. flexilexi394

Thanks for your help ladies, I already have the hassle with people getting sofia wrong all the time lol! So maybe putting 2 kids under that umbrella is a bit mean :rofl: but I just like to vary things a little, its just the way I am.

I was toying with the idea of "Georje" but it looks really stupid on paper and yeah, everyone will just spell it how they want. I don't mind "Jorge" but of course the spanish way is horhay! lol so I don't want that mix up either lol - maybe i just have to accept it.

Any ideas on different spellings of Peter??? thats his middle name and maybe I could just mess about with that instead lol

9. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Well-Known Member

Horhay :rofl: no don't do that to the poor boy!!

Pierre for Peter? If we are going all europeany lol.

xxxx

10. flexilexi394

:rofl: Oh god could you imagine lol!

No don't like that .... God I am so fussy!! xx

11. Maaaaaac

Have to throw my two cents in being from across the sea lol, the Irish version of Peter is Peadar or Peadair (pronounced like pad er in Irish but usually just Peter)

12. flexilexi394

Why thanks Maaaaaaaaaaaac! hehe worth considering! xx

13. Mar_15

Mar_15 Well-Known Member

The Catalan version is Jordi - pronounced like Geordie - so not exactly the same pronunciation as George but close. It is ridiculously popular in Catalunya - always seems like about 1 in 4 boys here have the name - but sure it isn't a popular variant in the UK.

14. Maaaaaac

What about Gheorghe? Gheorge as well withoit second h.

15. Mar_15

Mar_15 Well-Known Member

Oh or the French version, Georges - can't you just imagine him now at university studying philosophy and wearing a black polo neck? ;)

16. flexilexi394

:rofl: Yes I can! Hahahaha! Oh god I think I am gonna just have to stick with the usual version, I don't know what to do! xx

17. Kay Kay

I think you've picked a lovely name, it would honestly just be an annoyance for him his whole life correcting people on the spelling. You're child will be unique no matter how his name is spelled xxx